Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cthree87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
The iPhone 5 is by far the best phone Apple has ever made.

It's lighter, thinner, has fewer sharp edges, feels better in the hand, is faster, it has more network options, has a bigger, more useful display, looks sexy as hell and you get all this at the same price you would pay for a 4S only a couple of weeks ago.

iOS6 has dozens of awesome new features nobody talks about. Features like DND, excellent privacy controls, automatic photo syncing (photostream). I USE all of those new features and dozens more that I don't remember all day long.

Maps suck (for now). So what, here is the solution: http://maps.google.com. Get a sense of direction and stop whining already. That's an iOS6 problem which affects ALL phones because unlike Android the newest software actually runs on your fairly new phone.

If you rub the back with sandpaper it will scratch.

If you take a picture of the sun it will flare.

Derp.

The iPhone 5 is substantively better than all other iPhones before it. I think it and the people who did a great job of making it much, much better than the 4S, deserve some credit and respect.

The only reason I can see that the "media" would pan the iPhone 5 is that Apple didn't have an open bar stocking PBR and ironic appetizers at the release event, nom nom nom. That or bashing brings more traffic than praising it. Same difference.

The iPhone 5 is the BEST iPhone ever.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

It's lighter, thinner, has fewer sharp edges, feels better in the hand, is faster, it has more network options, has a bigger, more useful display, looks sexy as hell and you get all this at the same price you would pay for a 4S only a couple of weeks ago.

iOS6 has dozens of awesome new features nobody talks about. Features like DND, excellent privacy controls, automatic photo syncing (photostream). I USE all of those new features and dozens more that I don't remember all day long.

Maps suck (for now). So what, here is the solution: http://maps.google.com. Get a sense of direction and stop whining already. That's an iOS6 problem which affects ALL phones because unlike Android the newest software actually runs on your fairly new phone.

Derp.

The iPhone 5 is substantively better than all other iPhones before it. I think it and the people who did a great job of making it much, much better than the 4S, deserve some credit and respect.

The only reason I can see that the "media" would pan the iPhone 5 is that Apple didn't have an open bar stocking PBR and ironic appetizers at the release event, nom nom nom. That or bashing brings more traffic than praising it. Same difference.

I don't know what you're talking about. The maps do not suck. There's very little difference between these maps and Google maps. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Using the turn by turn navigation works perfectly, Google maps does not have that. Why do you prefer Google maps anyway? A map is a map is a map. As long as the map get you to where you're going, what difference does it make what it looks like?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
While I agree with your assessment, don't we have enough of these threads already? You feel the iPhone 5 is being unjustly criticized. Please post this to one of the already 2 dozen threads about this please....

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I don't know what you're talking about. The maps do not suck. There's very little difference between these maps and Google maps. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Using the turn by turn navigation works perfectly, Google maps does not have that. Why do you prefer Google maps anyway? A map is a map is a map. As long as the map get you to where you're going, what difference does it make what it looks like?

I agree. It gets me from point a to point b.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I think the hype machine is getting out of hand prior to release. It sounds like people are expecting this phone to radically change their life as soon as it touches their hands. It's a smart phone, not the elder wand. It's a great tool that can do some pretty cool and amazing things and I happen to thoroughly enjoy it. People are finally realizing that the iPhone is not a one size fits all device.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2008

You sound very much like one of the people who said the iPhone 4 antenna was fine... "It doesn't effect me therefore the issue must be made up or blown out of proportion la la la!"

Apple has even come out with an apology about the maps and dedicated a section of the App Store to alternatives and still you don't understand what the fuss is about?

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
I agree with OP except that I too really enjoy using the maps. I've experienced zero issues in the Toronto, Ontario area. However, it's clear that others are experiencing issues so I can only rate based on my experience.

Do you want to know the most surprising thing to me? The earpods!! Honestly, these things rival and even exceed the performance of my Bose ear buds. Great acoustics, full rich bass (I'm an bass heavy electronic music fan) and really clear mids and highs.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
Maps suck (for now). So what, here is the solution: http://maps.google.com. Get a sense of direction and stop whining already.

Phone not making calls? Go to a payphone and stop whining
Car won't start? Take a bus/cap and stop whining
Internet is slow? Go to library, use public computer and stop whining
Maps suck? Get sense of direction and stop whining

:rolleyes:
Let's all stop whining about something that wasn't done right and get a sense of direction.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Maps could be, and very likely will get better.
There do appear to be some fairly significant quality control issues in the first wave of phones. I am pretty sure that will change.

The thing that I think people miss as one of the greatest achievements of the new iPhone, is that they managed to increase the screen size, making a slightly larger version of what is mostly thought of as the best quality screen on the market, they made the phone unbelievably powerful and fast with the new processor, they made it lighter and thinner, and yet, somehow, the phone gets remarkable battery life. (Assuming of course you have a phone that works properly and doesn't have some sort of glitch draining your battery like some people are reporting.)

Honestly, to make the screen larger, the processor way more powerful and fast, and all of the other things that are admittedly small improvements, and yet make the battery last significantly longer than the 4s, I think that is probably the most remarkable achievement of this phone, at least to me.

I do feel bad however for those that have batteries that for whatever reason aren't lasting as long as they should. They're really missing out on I think one of the best features of this phone, its remarkable efficiency.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Phone not making calls? Go to a payphone and stop whining
Car won't start? Take a bus/cap and stop whining
Internet is slow? Go to library, use public computer and stop whining
Maps suck? Get sense of direction and stop whining

:rolleyes:
Let's all stop whining about something that wasn't done right and get a sense of direction.

whining about about whining??:confused::confused::confused:

;)

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009

WTH? How often do you use sandpaper on an electronic device?

If I take a pen, or a knife and jab it at my television, the screen will break...

Last edited:

cthree87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I don't know what you're talking about. The maps do not suck.

Depends where you are. Many features in my area are either in the wrong place or in the right place but repeated somewhere else as well in the wrong place.

Two examples are Hamilton, ON which is shown both in the right place (the west end of Lake Ontario) and also 200km east, between Cobourg, ON and Rice Lake to the north. It shows 'Ganaraska Forest' being where it is, just north of Clarington, ON at the intersection of Hwy 115 and 35 and also north of Markham, ON in Stouffville off Hwy 48, 50 km away from its real location.

Those are two obvious errors, there are a lot more less obvious ones in my area.

The Maps app is excellent but the data needs a lot of work before I would feel confident using it as a trusted source.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Traffic information sucks on the new maps. Red dashes to indicate bad traffic when it should show three different levels of traffic (green, yellow and red) like Google maps and the new maps show traffic only on freeways, not streets. Also no street view.

http://maps.google.com isn't really a solution either as it sucks as a web app. It won't automatically show traffic information and is difficult to navigate.

Other than these, the new Maps is better in every other ways.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal

Derp.

You work at the apple store right?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Depends where you are. Many features in my area are either in the wrong place or in the right place but repeated somewhere else as well in the wrong place.

Two examples are Hamilton, ON which is shown both in the right place (the west end of Lake Ontario) and also 200km east, between Cobourg, ON and Rice Lake to the north. It shows 'Ganaraska Forest' being where it is, just north of Clarington, ON at the intersection of Hwy 115 and 35 and also north of Markham, ON in Stouffville off Hwy 48, 50 km away from its real location.

Those are two obvious errors, there are a lot more less obvious ones in my area.

The Maps app is excellent but the data needs a lot of work before I would feel confident using it as a trusted source.

Hamilton, ON was correct for my phone, showing only one result. But the Ganaraska Forest gave the false location you mentioned. I agree some of the search results are off, but for me in Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph, Navigation and day to day searching has been spot on.

Apple will definitely make Maps better over time, just like Google Maps took quite a while to get to where they are now.

cthree87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Traffic information sucks on the new maps. Red dashes to indicate bad traffic when it should show three different levels of traffic (green, yellow and red) like Google maps and the new maps show traffic only on freeways, not streets. Also no street view.

Not being Google Maps doesn't necessarily imply it is broken or not good.

http://maps.google.com isn't really a solution either as it sucks as a web app. It won't automatically show traffic information and is difficult to navigate.

Other than these, it's better every other ways.

It provides confirmation that the data offered by Maps is accurate and can be trusted to get you where you are going and, if not, allows you to make allowances in your route.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

my experience, in a major city, has been very inaccurate. Once I get close enough to my destination it will have me drive about 3 miles the opposite direction and then do a u-turn. It will continue to tell me to do this until I decide where the right directions are. The interface in clean, but the issue I described has happened on 2/3 occasions I used apple maps.

one of those occasions was driving to an apple store.....they don't even know the address of their own building.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Not being Google Maps doesn't necessarily imply it is broken or not good.

It provides confirmation that the data offered by Maps is accurate and can be trusted to get you where you are going and, if not, allows you to make allowances in your route.

I don't have problems with trusting the new Maps. It's just lacking in traffic information, so it's certainly not broken or not good but not good enough (yet).

cthree87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
You work at the apple store right?

No, I don't and never have worked for Apple and the last time I worked in an Apple centric business, I had a Macintosh IIce running System 7 on my desk and I was working at an Authorized Reseller doing AUX and network support, back when coax 10baseT was kickass.

I do however have a twitter feed telling me how crappy the iPhone 5 is. I've had every iPhone to date and base my assessment from experience. This is the best one by a significant margin.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
You sound very much like one of the people who said the iPhone 4 antenna was fine... "It doesn't effect me therefore the issue must be made up or blown out of proportion la la la!"

Apple has even come out with an apology about the maps and dedicated a section of the App Store to alternatives and still you don't understand what the fuss is about?

I understand that many of you guys enjoy complaining about something. But you still have not fully answered my question. What is it about the maps did you do not like? How are they not helpful with getting you to where you need to be compared to Google maps?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't have problems with trusting the new Maps. It's just lacking in traffic information, so it's certainly not broken or not good but not good enough (yet).

I trust the new maps, but not always the route they are telling me to go. Google will tell me one way that takes 47 mins and apple will have me go up 2 more exits and then cut back taking 55 mins. Waze is a really good, accurate map alternative that truly uses data from other users.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I don't know your area, but when I look on Google Maps, I found a place named "Hamilton" in both the locations Apple maps found it. What does the "Hamilton" thats by Rice Lake refer to? Its just under Cold Springs.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
The iPhone 5 is by far the best phone Apple has ever made..

I take issue with this tired phrase (and its not specific to apple). What exactly are people thinking, a companies NEWEST product would be created to be WORSE than the previous models?

So while the iPhone 5 is "the best iPhone yet", i don't think any HONEST Apple fan could say "This was the best Apple could do".

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I take issue with this tired phrase (and its not specific to apple). What exactly are people thinking, a companies NEWEST product would be created to be WORSE than the previous models?

So while the iPhone 5 is "the best iPhone yet", i don't think any HONEST Apple fan could say "This was the best Apple could do".

that last line is really the truth. They always hold out some features so that way people will jump to the 5S. I'm sure siri could have been implemented/optimized for the 4, but that was a good feature to keep out. The same thing with NFC this time around. Even if it is not widely used as a payment method, NFC has many many more features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.