Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
waa1futs
Banned

If you already have an iPhone 4, would you rather upgrade to the 5 or get a iPad 3?

I had this choice presented to me recently. While I have a hunch what I would go with I could be swayed either way since I've heard such great things about both.

If you had an iPhone 4 already and could either upgrade to the 5 or get an iPad 3 which would you choose and why?

I searched for the word choose before posting this but didn't find this type of thread so I apologize if there's already an iPhone 5 versus iPad 3 thread.

Thank you for your input it is really appreciated =)
waa1futs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:04 PM   #2
famous600
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by waa1futs View Post
I had this choice presented to me recently. While I have a hunch what I would go with I could be swayed either way since I've heard such great things about both.

If you had an iPhone 4 already and could either upgrade to the 5 or get an iPad 3 which would you choose and why?

I searched for the word choose before posting this but didn't find this type of thread so I apologize if there's already an iPhone 5 versus iPad 3 thread.

The iPhone 5 and iPad 3 are completely different devices. It's like asking do you want an iPhone or MacBook........ Decide what you have more use for and pull the trigger. I personally prefer an iPhone AND an iPad.
famous600 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:07 PM   #3
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

As i already use a MBA i really don't have use for an iPad right now so i'll be snapping up an iphone 5, when one is in stock.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.0.2
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.0.2
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:18 PM   #4
richmds
macrumors regular

Thats not a good comparison. 4S or 5 might be more in line.
richmds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Ahonen
macrumors regular

Personally I would not get an iPad right now because updates are sure to be coming soon, including the new Lightning connector. If you get an iPad now you will get one with an obsolete connector.
Ahonen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
zzoomp09
macrumors regular

i have both... and hopefully that 13" retina mbpro
zzoomp09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:08 PM   #7
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

You should really only get iPads around March - May if you want to have the latest for the longest
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:30 PM   #8
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahonen View Post
Personally I would not get an iPad right now because updates are sure to be coming soon, including the new Lightning connector. If you get an iPad now you will get one with an obsolete connector.
Updates are not surely to be coming soon. There are very sketchy rumors about an iPad mini, and...that's about it. In all likelihood the iPad won't see an update until next spring. I would not be too worried about the cable. In fact, at this point the fact that it uses the old cable is a plus as I have at least a dozen of those cables in every possible location. In any case, my iPad sees the charger about once every two weeks, so not a big deal.

OP - I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad 1. I was thinking I'd get the 5 right away, then realized that it doesn't really offer all that much for me over what the 4 does, whereas the iPad 1 is really hampered. I was all set to buy an iPad 3, but after trying them out in the store, the screen is awesome, but it still doesn't really address some of the problems I have with the iPad. Sooooo....right now I am still waiting.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:33 PM   #9
huskerchad
macrumors regular

My most recent upgrades were iPad 1 to iPad 2, and now iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. The phone upgrade is dramatic. Speed of both the device and the LTE/4G (AT&T's "4G") are dramatic.

If you have no iPad at all and really want a tablet now, go for that, otherwise get the phone. Neither is going to take the place of the other.
huskerchad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:39 PM   #10
tiggerr0
macrumors newbie

Call me crazy but I would first wait to make a decision until the iPad mini is announced and see what that offers. If you are only getting a 16GB iPhone 5 you might be able to swing the iPad mini AND the iPhone 5. That is assuming you are paying for it yourself.

But if that is not feasible I would say iPad 3. I had the iPhone 4 and the new iPad - I was able to upgrade to the 5 but since buying the iPad I barely use my iPhone at home.

This also depends what shape your 4 is in. Obviously if it is giving you lots of issues I would just upgrade the phone.

And now most of my agrument is moot since you have an iPad 1. LOL Nevermind.
tiggerr0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:31 PM   #11
erratikmind
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

What are your needs or are you creating needs.
erratikmind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Jackson02
macrumors newbie

Buy the pad.

I was tossing up between the two myself, and considered these facts,

*What more can the iphone 5 do compared to my iphone 4?
*Isit worth the up grade?
* Will those upgrades be used substantially in day to day use?
* is it worth the cost?
Another question I would ask is do you already own an ipad?

For me I already owned an iphone 4 and non of the features that the iphone 5 offered really was enticing enough for me to upgrade.
So what I did was kept my iphone 4 and bought an ipad 3, I bought the wireless version to offset some of the cost and and I tether it to my iphone via blu tooth, poeple might say blu tooth uses a lot of battery but it really doesn't, I can get up to 15 hours of battery life while tethered to it via iPad so don't worry about battery life, but tethering via wifi is anther story.
Since buying. The ipad I have not been able to put it down it is my third arm and if I didn't have it to be honest I would be lost.
Mate I would suggest you do this weigh up your options then decide.
But I have never looked back.
I remember buying the iphone 4 and already have the iPhone 3GS and straight away had buyers remourse.
I thought to myself it's the blooming same thing except the screen lol.
unless you truly need those features.

Owner of iphone 4, ipad 3, MacBook Air 11" 8 gig of Ram i7 256 gig 2012, Apple TV 2012.
Not a fan just a valued customer.

Good luck.
Jackson02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:34 PM   #13
takuma089
macrumors newbie

For me I will go for the iPhone 5. it was a perfect upgrade. its fast so fast than my 4. and If you're thinking about the iPad 3. why not get the iPad 4? which has the A6X chip?
takuma089 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:37 PM   #14
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

I did both.
Got an iphone 5 and an ipad 3
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:37 PM   #15
cutienoua
macrumors member

ipad mini verizon
gets all the use vs my iphone 5 verizon !
cutienoua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Choose the iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. It's just a bit more money & a lot more functionality.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:40 PM   #17
darster
macrumors 68000

I did all 3. iPhone 5, iPad mini and iPad 4.
darster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:07 AM   #18
xMClass
macrumors 6502

How about upgrading to an iPhone 5 and getting a mini?
xMClass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Neither, honestly. Don't want an iPad 3 or iPhone 5 and I have an iPhone 4!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Vader2
macrumors newbie

I would go with the iPhone 5. My wife just upgraded to the 5 from the 4 and couldn't be happier.
Vader2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:27 AM   #21
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

If I had to make a choice I would shun the iPhone5.

I am in just such a situation.

I own an iPhone4 and it was broken. I looked hard at the iPhone5 and competing options.

I gave Apple $149 to replace the iPhone4 because to be honest the % isn't really all that exciting. Minuscule screen size increase if you can all it that. HO-HUM!

Maybe I will get a new iPad, we're still rocking the original iPad and are happy with it but a second iPad isn't a bad idea at all. It's a better idea that getting an iPhone 5.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:14 AM   #22
covertash
macrumors member

I went through a similar decision, and due to the holiday shopping spree, the iPad Mini that I originally wanted was sold out everywhere. Instead, I ended up getting an iPhone 5 as a gift, and I have to say it was a HUGE upgrade over the iPhone 4! The CPU is fast to the point where I am now able to finally multi-task to my own beat, whereas with the 4 it always chugged along and felt very clunky.

The only conundrum now is do I get an iPad Mini now, or wait for the Mini 2 later this year?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:32 AM   #23
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmds View Post
Thats not a good comparison. 4S or 5 might be more in line.
Apparently, the OP already has the 4. The question of what makes a good comparison is irrelevant. Good job missing the point.
Jimmy James is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:34 AM   #24
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

I upgraded from iphone 4 to 5 and I am very happy with my decision. The 5 is fast and I love everything about it, so I think you should upgrade if you want a new phone.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Davejprince
macrumors regular

At any time when money isn't an isue, buy the latest product of the device-catagory which you need.
I would buy an iPhone 5 & the newest iPad if I had the money.
If I had to choose between upgrading my 4s to a 5 or my iPad 2 to an 4(3) I would choose the iPhone 5 because I do use my phone more than my pad.

Dave,

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone