Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
hey there,

i was wondering, if one of you would have an idea about what could be wrong with my early 2011 mbp.
its running on osx 10.6.8. i've been having it for almost 1.5 years now and haven't had a problem with it at all. but recently it started crashing. it just sits on my table, not running hot or processing a heavy work load, but nevertheless it crashes. by crashing i mean that it turns itself off without giving prior notice although the computer is connected to a power outlet or/and the battery is fully charged.

i already send it in to get it fixed. but i think they didn't take me serious. they told me they couldn't find anything and just returned it to me. the guys at the apple store said it might be related to caffein, which i'm running all the time. they said that i might have installed it wrong (no idea how that is even possible) but they fixed that. what they actually fixed were the settings. now it starts automatically - thats all.

that was five days ago. now, just today it crashed twice on me. once it was just sitting on my desk and the other time i had just restarted it, picked it up and it crashed again.

has anybody else experienced this problem or does even know a solution to it?
i'd be grateful for just any hint. as i do think that if i send it in again, i will have to tell them what to look for. or else i will get it back the same way i turned it in - crashing.

thanks,
san

jomiro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2011
i've just done the aht and it turned out no results :-(
i could do a clean install of mountain lion but i don't think it should be necessary. it has been working very well up until a few weeks.
oh, and today it didn't crash only twice, but it has crashed five times already.

any other ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.