Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Lockitron Announces New Keyless Deadbolt Entry and Remote Locking for iPhone

Lockitron has announced a new hardware product that attaches to most deadbolt locks and allows the door to be locked and unlocked via an app. It also takes advantage of Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock the door when a registered iPhone 4S or 5 approaches the door.

Lockitron previously had a lock that was a full replacement for the entire lock and handle making it nearly impossible to use for customers who rent. The new device attaches to a deadbolt without any permanent changes, allowing renters to use it. The company is positioning the device for tech-savvy consumers, as well as those looking to open the door for guests or AirBnB renters.

Users can unlock their doors via the Lockitron app, via an SMS message, or by using Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock it wirelessly.

The company is currently taking preorders for the $149 lock, though the company won't take payment until the device is ready. Lockitron expects the first 1,000 units will be ready for shipment in March of 2013.

Article Link: Lockitron Announces New Keyless Deadbolt Entry and Remote Locking for iPhone
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

don't forget your phone!
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:26 PM   #3
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
A group in my senior year capstone project class at UCSB did a very similar project to this...
voyagerd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:29 PM   #4
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Ordered
iPhone 5s 16gb
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Swedishbacon
macrumors newbie

So nice, until you lose your phone. Then just imagine if someone steals it.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:30 PM   #6
macrumors regular

Interesting. I think it would work best on iPod Touches, no 3g. Come home, in range of your own wifi, then unlock the door for yourself.
Avatarshark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:31 PM   #7
havenhamilton
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishbacon View Post
So nice, until you lose your phone. Then just imagine if someone steals it.
what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?
havenhamilton is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:32 PM   #8
guru_ck
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to guru_ck
I'm sure there will be a PIN lock option for the app. Wish this thing worked with my door hardware .
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:33 PM   #9
UnseenLlama
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by havenhamilton View Post
what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?
That's why you should always passlock your iPhone.
UnseenLlama is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Swedishbacon
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Well, since iOS 6 I'm pretty sure my adress is in my contacts list.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:35 PM   #11
Greg222
macrumors newbie

You'll have to have a way to disable it. Time for bed, you walk too close to your front door, and it unlocks it.
Greg222 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:36 PM   #12
ytk
macrumors regular

So you just walk up to the door with your iPhone, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect and immediately unlock the door? How does it know you're approaching from the outside rather than the inside?
ytk is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:36 PM   #13
LaazyEye
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishbacon View Post
Well, since iOS 6 I'm pretty sure my adress is in my contacts list.
Remote wipe
LaazyEye is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Tulipone
macrumors 6502

Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.
Tulipone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:39 PM   #15
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post
That's why you should always passlock your iPhone.
Annoying as hell, but so worth it! I wish there was "don't lock when on this SSID or at that location" option!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipone View Post
Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.
It's BT 4.0, so It won't use your battery significantly.

I don't know how hard it is to crack BT, but it's not like normal locks are infallible.
Cougarcat is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:42 PM   #17
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:43 PM   #18
makingdots
macrumors regular

Quote:
Also, most burglars/thieves are not knowledgeable enough in computer stuffs/technology
makingdots is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:44 PM   #19
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Just pre-odered. Why? I don't know...but I like it.
RMo is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:48 PM   #20
bigjobby
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.
One slight flaw to this theory... Maps.
bigjobby is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:52 PM   #21
Nickpocalypse
macrumors member

[QUOTE=mrxak;15943107]They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.[QUOTE]
I have thus far been unable to get to bypass the lock code with the slide-up camera. Anytime you try to do anything at the camera screen, it says your phone is locked, or takes you to the passcode unlock screen.
Nickpocalypse is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:55 PM   #22
JForestZ34
macrumors 6502a

This is just my opinion on this but I think we are putting our confidence in technology to much. This is just me but I would never trust this. Give me an old fashion key any day.

James
JForestZ34 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #23
MasterMac
macrumors regular

Quote:
That doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure that's never worked, not even after the feature was introduced. There was a video showing it "getting past", but (here's where the "pretty sure" part comes in) I'm almost positive it was later found out that phone didn't have it set to require the passcode immediately after locking the phone.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #24
Undecided
macrumors 6502a

This is great but what I really need is a remotely controlled lock that i can use in rental properties. Although, I don't do short term rentals any more.
Undecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:05 PM   #25
Mev75
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.
Imagines you loose your keys or someone steals them... More or less the same disadvantages as old fashioned keys but some benefits.

But definitely not something for the Swiss market, we do not have these types of locks.

If it fits your needs this seems to be a cool product. I have a similar product for my car, Renault hands free keyless driving, quite cool!
Mev75 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion