Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
How exactly is it powered?
4 AAs - Says they last a year
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 AM   #77
cgk.emu
Banned

I'll pass. That'll be hacked in about 5 seconds...
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:56 AM   #78
tomacwhite
macrumors regular

Great idea. Always wanted something like this, after all we've had remote locking on our cars for over 20 years, probably more.
tomacwhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:04 PM   #79
skywiseca
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
I wanted to but right before the order went through it never asked me for a color option...did you just pre-order any random color?
They will contact you near shipping time and ask for your colour preference.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontwalkhand View Post
Exactly, and not only that, but the deadbolt on one of the doors on my house help keep it shut, because if I don't it flies right open because the door doesn't seal properly. I know the bigger problem at hand is having to fix the seal, but at least the bolt is holding it shut for now to worry about it in the short term.
Units like this won't work on doors that are using the deadbolt to hold the door shut. They have limited grunt to turn the deadbolt and any resistance will stop the unit from working.
I have an older powered deadbolt unit and I had to fix my doors in order to make them work. (make sure the door knob latch was enough to keep the deadbolt free to move)
skywiseca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:42 PM   #80
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk.emu View Post
Metal key system can be hacked in 5 seconds.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:46 PM   #81
JNGold
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
Metal key system can be hacked in 5 seconds.
Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort.
JNGold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:49 PM   #82
fruitpunch.ben
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNGold View Post
Don't believe what you see in the movies. Picking a lock can be an easy thing but with more secure locks (i.e. Medeco) picking is not a feasible option. Those types of cylinders can be drilled which a noisy and physical effort. Electronic hacking or RF capture (the last time I checked) didn't involve noise and physical effort.
If people want to gain access to your house, they can smash or even cut a hole in a window (which also takes very little noise and physical effort).
A burglar is far more likely to have that equipment than to be able to hack your lock!
I don't understand people's paranoia about these sorts of things. Most burglars are just low-lifes or drug addicts with no real reason to break into your house except opportunity.
If a thief is talented enough and wants to hack into your door lock, he has a very good reason for breaking into your specific house, and a standard deadbolt is NOT going to stop him
Older: 2005 15" PB G4 iPhone 3G
fruitpunch.ben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:50 PM   #83
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
Exactly.
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:51 PM   #84
Fandongo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Heh. Who knew so many Luddites trolled the tech intense MR forums.

Look, if your theory was correct then the hottest devices on the black market today would be code generators for garage door openers and cars with keyless entry.

But the fact is, the preferred tool for thieves are 1) insiders, 2) small rocks, & 3) lock pick sets. You make it sound like homes with just traditional deadbolts and keys are immune from burglars and robbers. But clearly statistics says otherwise. If someone is bent on gaining entry to your property they'll find a way w/ or w/o black market James Bond devices. Of course, you also need to have something worth stealing. Most home robberies today (in the U.S. at least) are less random and more inside jobs where the thieves know what they are going in for.
Haha, I'm sure most people thought flat screen TVs and tiny gadgets would increase home invasions tenfold. But when you can get a 40" for $280, the whole used marketplace (with scratched off serial numbers) kinda goes...out the window.

It's cheaper and safer to commit white collar crimes.
Look out for suits.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:14 PM   #85
agitoTech
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMoose View Post
Unless of course you have the second line of defense...a steel plated robotic pitbull with razor sharp metal teeth.
I have a real Pit Bull and a real German Shepard with real teeth... Come on over uninvited anytime.
agitoTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 05:53 PM   #86
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
4 seconds slower than it took a locksmith to pick my lock last year when I got locked out.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 07:48 PM   #87
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKAJ845IBPg

Time to replace all your locks!!!!!

Seriously, if you're worried about hacking your door electronically, there are plenty of ways to get into a house if someone wants to.

You're just as scared as the people who thought keyless entry systems and garage door openers are going to skyrocket stolen goods
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:24 PM   #88
mmomega
macrumors Demi-God

It just isn't a very attractive device to have on the inside.

If they made it in the normal finishes or Stainless, Aged bronze, brass and the like I'm sure it may sell more.

I like the concept and how easily it should work but like someone else pointed out, unless your deadbolt slides completely effortlessly into the door frame then it's not going to work at all.
3x AEBS 802.11ac, 5x AppleTV
mmomega is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:05 AM   #89
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?
mrgraff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:17 AM   #90
mkunichi
macrumors newbie

I think there's a great market for folks looking for convenience. There are the more security-minded who want/need greater security, but there are many who view super-security as non-priority.

Not to be controversial, but didn't Michael Moore say in one of his documentaries that there are many Canadian cities where people don't lock their front door?

As someone said, most of the time locks are to keep people honest, not to deter someone who really wants to get in your house.

BTW my dad used to only lock the deadbolt. He said it kept him from accidentally locking himself out of the house. He also said the best theft deterrent was nosy neighbors! It's much better than a better deadbolt.
mkunichi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:06 AM   #91
samdev
macrumors regular

I have just patented "Wipe Feet To Unlock".

Gonna make millions off of this.
samdev is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 04:55 AM   #92
netdog
macrumors 603

Electronic locks that don't feature an option to use a physical key are a recipe for disaster. There's a reason that cars haven't abandoned the key-based mechanism in the driver's door.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:01 AM   #93
GaresTaylan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not.
GaresTaylan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:44 AM   #94
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraff View Post
Am I missing something?

There is a deadbolt on my front door and it also has a doorknob with a lock in it. Unless I leave the bottom lock open when i leave, won't using the Lockitron still require that I carry the other key?
You're not missing anything.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:00 AM   #95
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Exclamation iOS Security Flaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done... If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
Your first premise is false: that simply is untrue and will not work. You must enter the passcode to get to the home screen.

HOWER, they can simply tell Siri to "take me home" from the lock screen and Siri will do it. If "home" has not been learned they can ask Siri "who am I" and that will reveal the owner's name and address. Then they can ask Siri to take them there.
Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Great for people that have deadbolts that are not double (need a key inside and out to unlock). Those that have double deadbolts are up the creek. Lol. Pretty much useless on any door that is adjacent to a window, full view door or french door.

Nice concept though.
Deadbolts with a turn-handle on the inside are not the most secure. A robber should not be able to enter a window and walk out your front door. I actually came home once to that scenario. All my valuables were piled up by the front door but the perp could not get them out because a key was required to get out. So he left with a Timex watch.

This device appears to attach to a cheap deadbolt by means of a magnet. For that price, you would buy a really good lock.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:05 AM   #96
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.
Only the route is calculated by Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 11:35 AM   #97
MacBoy88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
Actually, as Tinmania said, there appears to be a flaw in the slide-to-camera feature. When announced, it was touted that you would be able to take pictures from the locked screen. They are supposed to be stored and visible only after entering a passcode. However, in practice on my iPhone 4s, after taking pictures, you have access to the home screen without entering the passcode.
Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:39 PM   #98
doelcm82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0me View Post
With Apple Maps they'll probably end up 20 miles away from my place at the bottom of a river.
You're so lucky. Apple maps would take the thief right to my house.

Damn Apple for being right some of the time!
doelcm82 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:44 PM   #99
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #100
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
Not really. A french door or any door with glass (unless it's a full view glass door) is still valid as long as someone can't put their hands through the hole and turn the deadbolt knob.

I ordered one. We have a front door we can use it on
I was replying to a message that mentioned full view door, hence my comment door made out of glass. And you would be surprised at the size of an opening a person can fit through. I had a friend in NY in a rather high-crime area (yet expensive) who had roll up barriers on windows--except the tiny little down-stairs bathroom window where it was deemed unnecessary. Yep, someone get in and let others in and cleaned them out.

Naturally I lock my doors but I also realize that it is possible for someone to get in if they wanted to, be it a door or window.

I see this device purely as a convenience item. For that I like it!

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion