Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage5.png

Lockitron has announced a new hardware product that attaches to most deadbolt locks and allows the door to be locked and unlocked via an app. It also takes advantage of Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock the door when a registered iPhone 4S or 5 approaches the door.

Lockitron previously had a lock that was a full replacement for the entire lock and handle making it nearly impossible to use for customers who rent. The new device attaches to a deadbolt without any permanent changes, allowing renters to use it. The company is positioning the device for tech-savvy consumers, as well as those looking to open the door for guests or AirBnB renters.

Users can unlock their doors via the Lockitron app, via an SMS message, or by using Bluetooth 4.0 to unlock it wirelessly.

The company is currently taking preorders for the $149 lock, though the company won't take payment until the device is ready. Lockitron expects the first 1,000 units will be ready for shipment in March of 2013.

Article Link: Lockitron Announces New Keyless Deadbolt Entry and Remote Locking for iPhone

Greg222

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2011
You'll have to have a way to disable it. Time for bed, you walk too close to your front door, and it unlocks it.

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
So you just walk up to the door with your iPhone, and it uses Bluetooth 4.0 to connect and immediately unlock the door? How does it know you're approaching from the outside rather than the inside?

Tulipone

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2009
Huntingdon UK
Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Really? Is there a need for this? How attackable is BT4? Maybe not today, but soon it'll get broken. I gave up with BT speakers as turning BT on and off was a pain - and I'm not going to leave it on all day. Impressive battery power.

I can understand BT controlling devices inside the house (from a dedicated panel) but not for gaining entry.

It's BT 4.0, so It won't use your battery significantly.

I don't know how hard it is to crack BT, but it's not like normal locks are infallible.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?

They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
what are the odds that someone steals your phone, figures out you use this product, finds out where you live and breaks in before you can get home and take it off?

Also, most burglars/thieves are not knowledgeable enough in computer stuffs/technology

Nickpocalypse

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Vancouver, BC, CA
They get your phone, use the slide-up-to-camera to bypass your lock code, see you have the Lockitron app, find your name and address in Contacts, then ask Siri for directions to your home. Done.
I have thus far been unable to get to bypass the lock code with the slide-up camera. Anytime you try to do anything at the camera screen, it says your phone is locked, or takes you to the passcode unlock screen.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
This is just my opinion on this but I think we are putting our confidence in technology to much. This is just me but I would never trust this. Give me an old fashion key any day.

James

MasterMac

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003

That doesn't work, and I'm pretty sure that's never worked, not even after the feature was introduced. There was a video showing it "getting past", but (here's where the "pretty sure" part comes in) I'm almost positive it was later found out that phone didn't have it set to require the passcode immediately after locking the phone.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
This is great but what I really need is a remotely controlled lock that i can use in rental properties. Although, I don't do short term rentals any more.

Mev75

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Zürich, Switzerland

Anyway, this sort of thing is nothing new. Any home automation system worth its salt has remote locks. The notification on door-knock is new (at least to me), but who ever knocks on doors anymore? You're better off with a smart doorbell.

Of course, they all have the same issue of losing your remote device, whatever it is, and it's not like somebody needs to go through your front door to get into your house. If you're going to go the home automation route, why not set up some motion sensors inside the house watching all your windows and doors, and tell the house when you come and go? Heck, you don't even have to bother locking your doors, and you'll know the minute somebody's in your house when you're away. Door locks are just a social contract. If somebody wants in, they don't need to steal your key, physical or digital.

Imagines you loose your keys or someone steals them... More or less the same disadvantages as old fashioned keys but some benefits.

But definitely not something for the Swiss market, we do not have these types of locks.

If it fits your needs this seems to be a cool product. I have a similar product for my car, Renault hands free keyless driving, quite cool!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.