Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:13 PM   #101
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Forget that bluetooth wipes out your battery , that thing is ugly! Looks like someone stuck a tupperware container on the doorhandle.
LOL to the tupperware comment. At least they could have chosen better colors. Even a beige or light brown. But bright white, teal, or black? What the heck were they thinking?

Mike
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:24 PM   #102
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoy88 View Post
Are you sure your is passcode locked, not just slide to unlock? I've NEVER been able get in my phone from the slide-to-camera. I can if not enough time (idle 5 min) has passed to engage my passcode, but once my passcode has triggered, I cannot.
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk View Post
Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question.

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
You can have it auto-lock after unlocking (at least you could on the previous model). That wouldn't help with walking up to the door if someone is outside ringing the doorbell but at least it will re-lock if you accidentally unlock when walking past it.

You can also get notified when the door is unlocked.

I would assume on the new model you can turn off the passive unlocking feature but then you have to use the app to unlock.

Michael
This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:13 PM   #103
MacBoy88
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to MacBoy88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
This is isolated to you then I think. I cannot get this to happen. I use a 4-digit passcode to unlock my phone. I can take pics but I cannot get to the home screen. Now, as for siri being completely willing to "take me home", I am unimpressed with that. I find that to be a security issue for sure. For me, you'll know my name (first and last) if you tell my phone to take you home but you'll wind up at an old apartment.

Likewise, I don't have my actual home address in my NAV either.

This is the one thing I'd want to be sure of if I were to buy it. I don't want my door unlocked just by passing it, even if I know it is unlocking and I can simply lock it again.
I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:30 PM   #104
Sylon
macrumors 68000

To all the people that are worried that a robber would "hack" your door or use your stolen phone to get into your house, I have a question for you. Unless you advertise that you have this device on your door, how would that would-be-robber know you have a Lockitron on your door? You're not hanging this thing on the outside, so how would they know unless they were already inside your house? At that point, your robber would either be someone who broke in the old fashioned way, or its someone you probably know.

And sure, the thief would eventually see the app on your phone if they stole it, but if you don't put the app in an obvious spot, like in your tray, then by the time they discovered the app, you would have reset your Lockitron password or wiped the iPhone.

Relax people, like its been said before, if a robber wanted to break into your house bad enough, they will get in. And, if someone "hacked" your door lock with some crazy crypto device, Lockitron would also notify you on your iPhone that your door was unlocked. If you were not expecting someone to enter your home, call the cops.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:41 PM   #105
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBoy88 View Post
I'm saying I cannot get the the home screen, without entering my passcode. Mine works as designed.

You can disable Siri from working is your phone is locked. Settings > Genreal > Passcode Lock > Turn Siri off
AH look at that! All this time ...
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:22 PM   #106
8ate8
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid00 View Post
They don't give the cleareance needed though, which is kind of important and I don't have much room on my door and the box looks big.
Door handles and deadbolts are supposed to be a set distance from the edge of the door, so unless you built your own custom lock, I don't think it would be a problem.
8ate8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:49 PM   #107
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaresTaylan View Post
Because thieves will be randomly going through your neighborhood looking for houses with the off chance that someone may have one of these installed.

If someone wants in your house bad enough, they are going to get in regardless of wether you have one of these or not.
Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:56 PM   #108
GaresTaylan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk.emu View Post
Way to miss the point. It's ANOTHER avenue to get into your place. Since you are fond of emoticons: (that's me rolling my eyes at your lack of security knowledge)
Feel better about yourself now?

If you get your undies in a bunch again and feel the need to boost your self-esteem/ego some more resort to PM.

Last edited by GaresTaylan; Oct 4, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
GaresTaylan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:35 PM   #109
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

Service with a smile

I can just see the scenario now: "Hack your front door, sir?"

Obviously a robber can break in. But now a hacker can lock you out. Or just randomly open your door day-in and day-out... What fun.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:42 PM   #110
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Only the route is calculated by Maps and takes the would be burglars off the nearest cliff, after taking them off a motorway overpass, through a reservoir and 200 miles in the wrong direction to a road with the same name as yours in a different state.
Pretty sure. But that was iOS 5. Checked it out on iPhone 5 with iOS 6 today and it worked as it's supposed to. When my wife gets back home with the iPhone 4s, I'll verify since it has since been updated to iOS 6.

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:12 AM   #111
thesheep
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
Annoying as hell, but so worth it! I wish there was "don't lock when on this SSID or at that location" option!
Hey this is a great idea - you should suggest it to Apple
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:19 PM   #112
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesheep View Post
Hey this is a great idea - you should suggest it to Apple
Done! I've never actually taken the time to look for the suggestion page, but Google was my friend!
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:25 PM   #113
Repo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytk View Post
Obviously it does matter, or I wouldn't have asked the question.

Say somebody you don't know rings your doorbell. As soon as you walk up to the door with the phone in your pocket to ask who it is, it unlocks? Not good. Or what if, as others have pointed out, you're just walking past the door and didn't intend to unlock it? You might not even realize it's unlocked. Also not good.
Don't be defensive. I didn't say your question doesn't matter, only that in this situation, the area from which you approach the door doesn't matter.

That said, if the feature doesn't suit your needs, don't use it.
Repo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:53 PM   #114
iHateMacs
macrumors 6502a

Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:28 AM   #115
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Finalist: Stupidest most useless app in the history of apps. "Hey, I need to unlock my door... where's my iPad?"
Les Kern is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:51 PM   #116
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Kern View Post
Finalist: Stupidest most useless app in the history of apps. "Hey, I need to unlock my door... where's my iPad?"
You really should at least spend more than a nanosecond reading before posting. Makes you look bad.

Mike
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 09:54 PM   #117
CatsTide
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateMacs View Post
Is this for the US only? I have NO locks on any of my doors that this would fit on.

Where does it obtain it's power? I can imagine many locks that will be too tight for this to work with. What about doors that you need to push slightly to make make the bold easier to slide? Will this do that? No of course not.

This is a solution looking for a problem I think.

I foresee most of these not doing the job intended and ending up in the bin.
Did you watch the video? I would guess not. Sounds like you need to adjust your lock on your door too.
CatsTide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:07 AM   #118
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a

This is so cool!! I wish my apartment had a deadbolt.
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:26 AM   #119
Rodimus Prime
Banned

I am really tempted to look into this.
1. Because I often times forget to lock my door before I go to bed at night so instead of getting out of bed to see if I locked it/locked it I just take my phone and check/lock my door.

2. I live on the third floor and when I come back from the grocery store my arms are very full of stuff. It can/has been rather tricky for me get my keys in the door to unlock it. This would allow me to unlock my door before I even got out of my car with the phone so it is good to go when I get to the door.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:45 PM   #120
treynolds
macrumors regular

Don't know why many of these articles bring out so many naysayers...

What's not to like?

This is cool technology, it's far cheaper that an electronic lockset and does more. Right now I have to have a key in a lockbox outside to allow people (like the cleaners) into the house. I see this as a more secure way to let people in the house remotely, especially with FaceTime. It's cool, the price is great and I've already preordered.

Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:29 PM   #121
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyagerd View Post
A group in my senior year capstone project class at UCSB did a very similar project to this...
On a completely different note, what possessed you to buy a 480, let alone two?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:26 PM   #122
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
On a completely different note, what possessed you to buy a 480, let alone two?
Gaming on 2560x1440 display.
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:54 PM   #123
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Gaming on 2560x1440 display.
5970? 2x5870? Both solutions use half the power and perform just as well.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:20 PM   #124
voyagerd
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to voyagerd Send a message via MSN to voyagerd Send a message via Yahoo to voyagerd Send a message via Skype™ to voyagerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpsBeaTt View Post
5970? 2x5870? Both solutions use half the power and perform just as well.
Not a fan of AMD.. I plan to get two GTX 780's when they are released
voyagerd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:08 PM   #125
fpsBeaTt
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Not a fan of AMD.. I plan to get two GTX 780's when they are released
Not a fan, either; they simply had a better lineup at the time. Now it's very close, with SLI offering better scaling.
fpsBeaTt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion