Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samantharene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
I'm trying to update my jailbroken 4s but it keeps coming up with an error, I figured this was because it is jailbroken and tried to restore and it won't let me do that either. What to do?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Make sure you want to update to iOS 6 and lose the jailbreak
THERE'S NO GOING BACK TO 5.1.1 even if you have blobs.

Put it in DFU and restore in iTunes

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
It's not just about losing the jailbreak.

iOS6 has it's problems at the moment, and if there's any regret like in my case, there is NO way to roll back.

It's certainly the last time I do a "blind update".

samantharene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
It's not just about losing the jailbreak.

iOS6 has it's problems at the moment, and if there's any regret like in my case, there is NO way to roll back.

It's certainly the last time I do a "blind update".

why do you regret it?

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
why do you regret it?

For me it's mostly the frustration of mail problems, battery life, and it's glitchy.

Yesterday, I looked down at the phone because the lock screen lit up, and for some bizarre reason it was showing the welcome screen you get when you first restore. The screen went black again, but when I pressed to home button, my normal screen was there.

On another occasion, the phone decided to dial out by itself. Got no idea why. It just did.

Here's the thing... it works for the most part. But it's the unpredictability that has me regretting this upgrade. I don't use maps, so that's not an issue for me.

I use the phone mostly for work, hence email has to be rock solid. One annoyance is the Swoosh before SMTP bug. You have no way to know if the email was actually sent because the sound plays when you press send, not when it has finished negotiating with the server.

I also noticed that with mail, you get the ding sound to say there's new mail, but it doesn't show up on the lock screen like it should. Takes forever for it to show. iOS5 worked perfectly in all these regards.

I've emailed and fed back to apple, but a deafening silence returns.

I'm telling you, I'd happily pay to roll back to iOS5. But cannot. The only way to get back to iOS5 on a 4S would be to buy another phone that was not upgraded.

samantharene

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2012
Nope, I wasn't aware I needed one. What should I do with that? sorry I'm not exactly a genius with this stuff, but I really appreciate your help!

MACis122

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2010
Make sure you have the latest version of itunes as well same thing happened with a friend but she had a 4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.