Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JefferyFontenot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I recently bought a new macbook air and have been really satisfied in it and its my very first Mac computer. Its been about a month and all of a sudden it gets hotter and you can hear the fan constantly running as if I'm doing something that would put a lot of strain on the computer... which I'm not! I can be simply typing on my computer in class and it will start to heat up and use a considerable amount of battery in the process as if i was trying to play a game. I looked in the Activity Monitor and the only process that is running hard is the parentalcontrolsd... it is using about 90% of my CPU and I never use parental controls? I try and quitting and force quitting it and it always just bounces right back up. This is all that I can think of that could possibly be heating up my computer like this and eating up my battery. I'm used to about 6-7 hours of battery and now I'm down to about 2 1/2... please help.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Excellent. Now that u diagnosed what the prob is, all u have to do is Google "parentalcontrolsd" saw more than a few posts out there.

JefferyFontenot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I did this... I can't seem to find any help for it.

----------

I fixed it... I searched deep enough and found a website that brought me to the resource files for parental controls and allowed me to completely delete these files.

Dizzay

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
San Diego
I did this... I can't seem to find any help for it.

----------

I fixed it... I searched deep enough and found a website that brought me to the resource files for parental controls and allowed me to completely delete these files.

can you tell us how or link us?

SoIsays

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
can you tell us how or link us?

Because the OP faced an unhelpful attitude, he is giving the rest of us the same medicine. If the righteous would just shut up we'd all be helpful on this forum.

Brunke

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Delete resource files

delete the files in /Library/Application\ Support/Apple/ParentalControls/

og just delete the ParentControls folder

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
How should we know what your problem is? Take it in to Apple and let them fix it if it has a problem.

Look up the word "troubleshooting"

Once you figure out what that means, and even better, how to do it, will keep you from posting nonsense like this in the future.

abirmaher

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Wow I had never faced this issue till I sat down in class today. In about 20 min battery life went from full to under 70 % with only Word and safari open not doing anything heavy. Checked the CPU and found the parental control thing. Then I went to the folder mentioned above and deleted the parental control folder the computer and force quit the process the fan immediately started to slow down and started to cool down as well. Battery life expectations has come up from 1:20 back to 2:30 after this was done. Thanks for the info.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
How should we know what your problem is? Take it in to Apple and let them fix it if it has a problem.

yikes, who dumped in your cereal? did you forget what forum you are on? sounds to me like he handled it reasonably. i for one hadn't heard of this problem - now i have so i'll recognize it in the future.

this forum is for all things macbook air - and that includes helping people with issues with their macbook airs...not just bickering with each other over whether or not your need an i7.

maybe we should bring back down-voting...

edit: boom - see that post right above this one? that's why it's good he posted here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.