Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Official Lightning Connector Support Lacking, Inspires Workarounds and DIY Mods

Though Apple allowed some select hardware partners to work on Lightning connector-compatible hardware accessories, most of those are not yet for sale. However, that's not to stop some enterprising users from making do with what they have.

The Next Web has instructions on how to modify the Elevation Dock -- a popular Kickstarter project -- to fit the iPhone 5. The site says the modification, while not perfect, is "fairly straightforward" and takes about 25 minutes to complete.

The team behind the Elevation Dock is planning to ship a bolt-in swappable mount that will support the new cord in the next several months.

Also available is the $30 dockBoss+ iPhone 5 Kit. While rather clunky, the cable allows users to listen and charge the iPhone 5 or new iPod Touch through any 30-pin connector docking station.

Readers noticing other interesting accessories or docks for the iPhone 5 and the Lightning connector should send a note to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Official Lightning Connector Support Lacking, Inspires Workarounds and DIY Mods
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

If I recall, the Elevation dock was pricey and still quite new. Hopefully, the bolt in option is free or real cheap. I don't think I saw anything on pricing, I could be wrong.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:54 PM   #3
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Change has to occur sometime. I think the idea and design of the lightning connector are spot on and will be great for years to come. Growing pains.

That being said, Apple should definitely have provided a low cost adapter or released manufacturing specs to third party accessory vendors prior to the phone's arrival on the scene.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

I have still not read a single valid reason why Apple is not selling a dock themselves.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
macguy90
macrumors newbie

Why Bother?

Who has the time or desire to modify an accessory for the iPhone 5 lightning connector? Sure, it's a great conversation topic, but it's not practical. I have the iPhone 5 and I feel no need to go modifying incompatible docks. I will say, however, that Apple really should have worked harder to get third-party accessory makers ready by the release of the new iPhone.
macguy90 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
We still can't even buy replacement USB cables in Japan, let alone Lightning to 30-pin adapters or docks.
mavis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:22 PM   #7
chrvdMark
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
I have still not read a single valid reason why Apple is not selling a dock themselves.
I guess it would'nt look too good selling an accessorie, they know will be damaging the phones painting when used... :/
chrvdMark is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Icaras
macrumors 601

Does anyone know of any other companies developing an iPhone 5 dock?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 03:53 PM   #9
EiriasEmrys
macrumors member

Flying Nerds

Quote:
I still have yet to see ONE valid reason why humans shouldn't be able to fly. Forget all those technical reasons and rationale, we've heard it. Just tell me one good reason why I cannot fly? Birds fly. I should fly.

ONE good reason! I DARE YOU!
EiriasEmrys is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:20 PM   #10
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
With wi-fi, bluetooth.. docks are a bit 90s lol

I kid.. a bit.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:21 PM   #11
TylerL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiriasEmrys View Post
I still have yet to see ONE valid reason why humans shouldn't be able to fly. Forget all those technical reasons and rationale, we've heard it. Just tell me one good reason why I cannot fly? Birds fly. I should fly.
Well? Let's hear it.

Stubborn people who won't take an opaque "no you can't do it" for an answer are great people who push us forward as a species.

Lightning speaker docks have been announced. More resourceful dudes have made their own docks already, too.
TylerL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:42 PM   #12
coder12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by EiriasEmrys View Post

We can't fly because the ability to fly requires telekinesis, and we haven't developed that yet.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:47 PM   #13
jephrey
macrumors regular

the DockBoss actually looks fairly easy to create itself... I'm a DIYer and imagine it'd be fairly easy.

Your charging cord takes care of conversion to USB (inserted any way) and allows the digital signal and charging to pass through.

A male to male 1/8" cord for analog audio (cheap)

Then you just need a female 30pin jack and some soldering skills to properly connect a female usb cord and female 1/8" jack [there are pinouts all over the web to understand but I'd be surprised if someone didn't have a "how-to" out there already... It'd be even easier to bastardize a new connector and single 1/8" jack cable but I'm unsure which end the "flipped connector" circuitry is in (and that cable has multiple uses and is expensive)

Personally, I've got 1 iHome radio and no other dock-based system so I'm one of those who is happy with the new connector.

-----
I can fly...

Temporarily.
jephrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:49 PM   #14
afd
macrumors 6502a

easier and probably cheaper solution

Having said that, I'm going to try and cobble together my brodit iPhone 4 car cradle and a lightning to 30 pin convertor when they come out. I really miss dropping the phone into the cradle in the car and am pretty sure it's going to be a while before a ready made solution appears.
afd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 04:49 PM   #15
TimTheEnchanter
macrumors 6502a

I'm all for change if it's for the good, but I have to say I'm bummed that my XtremeMac InCharge Duo is about to become unusable for my iPhone 5 (once I get it). I have this on my nightstand, my iPhone is my alarm clock. I like having it docked so I can see it easily (and hit snooze easier). Apple's adapter is too long and frankly way too expensive in my opinion. I guess I'll just look for the cheap dock-stands that use the cord instead.
RIP: too many Macs to list...AppleII-PMG5

Last edited by TimTheEnchanter; Oct 2, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
TimTheEnchanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:45 PM   #16
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
Maybe some company will come out with a docking adapter that fits into a legacy universal dock port and has a new dock on top. Basically a sandwich with a 30-pin on the bottom and a Lightning on the top, that sits right in any universal dock. There are tons of devices out there with identical universal docking ports. Somebody just needs to be build this. The electronics are easy.

Griffin? Belkin? Anyone?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 05:59 PM   #17
nsfw
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by afd View Post
easier and probably cheaper solution
thats not a solution. i can airplay with airfoil speakers, but a dock serves a very different purpose. In fact, I never sent audio from my elevation dock to my mac. for me a dock is a place to charge your iphone and also a really elegant place to store your device while working at your desk.
/let-the-rage-commence
nsfw is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:03 PM   #18
tbrinkma
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrvdMark View Post
I guess it would'nt look too good selling an accessorie, they know will be damaging the phones painting when used... :/
Wait. Why on earth would a dock damage the iPhone's paint? The paint is all on the *inside* of the glass.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:15 PM   #19
kas23
macrumors 603

This is the Thunderbolt port all over again. It has been almost 2 years and we still don't have many TB devices.
kas23 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:27 PM   #20
dcorban
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
This is the Thunderbolt port all over again. It has been almost 2 years and we still don't have many TB devices.
I believe this is because Thunderbolt is overkill for the vast majority of devices.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban View Post
I believe this is because Thunderbolt is overkill for the vast majority of devices.
How so?
It'd be perfect for external HDDs, yet, no external enclosures that I could possibly afford.
Well, I can, but I can't justify their costs AT ALL.

2 years? Come on. 2 years in tech world is like a decade in non-tech world.

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance ~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:32 PM   #22
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Looks like my fifth generation iPod touch will be arriving before the Elevation Dock I ordered to go with my previous generation. If Elevation Labs does create an alternative, lightning-compatible dock, I hope they 1) send that one to me instead, 2) include a free conversion kit, or 3) allow buyers to trade their previous Elevation Docks for newer ones, assuming their docks arrive after the release of Lightning-only iOS devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
Sounds like the plot to a Chris Nolan movie.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Oct 2, 2012 at 09:35 PM. Reason: mind your own business!
AngerDanger is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:35 PM   #23
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassed Silver View Post
How so?
It'd be perfect for external HDDs, yet, no external enclosures that I could possibly afford.
Well, I can, but I can't justify their costs AT ALL.

Glassed Silver:mac
The main reason for the lack of thunderbolt devices and accessories is the overall lack of machines that use Thunderbolt. Until Ivy Bridge, Thunderbolt wasn't part of the Intel chipset and no one on the PC side even thought about adding it. Now we have several vendors adding Thunderbolt to their machines and a large uptick in the number of motherboards for BYO purposes with Thunderbolt ports. In fact, I can go on Newegg right now and pull a half dozen boards with Thunderbolt, with several starting under $200.
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:25 PM   #24
Ichabod.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Headphone jack on the bottom of the device would hinder possible functionality.

I guess why they put the jack on the bottom is a separate discussion though (I can think of a few reasons...nothing huge is jumping out though).
Ichabod. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:27 PM   #25
semaja2
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to semaja2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichabod. View Post
Headphone jack on the bottom of the device would hinder possible functionality.

I guess why they put the jack on the bottom is a separate discussion though (I can think of a few reasons...nothing huge is jumping out though).
Maybe a dock is coming and due to the small connector size of Lighting they will use the audio jack to hold it up? As well as using the audio jack to pass through the analogue sound to the dock

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion