Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 17, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
poloman
macrumors newbie

Need Advice on Building a New Dynamic Website

Hello

I want to build a dynamic website that displays some dynamic numbers like sports results in a chart like format/screen from a database or some other source (see the attachment). Displaying of the content should be in graphic format also. I have intermediate background in website creation but not advanced. But I should be able to learn anything new. I want to know which technology I should use. I heard of PHP/MYSQl. Since I want the ability to update the content on the website frequently (like sports results) I heard I can utilize Drupal, Zoomla or Wordpress. Also, users should be able to select from drop down which sports team (for example) they want to view the results for. There will be no other user inout. Can somebody guide me which apprach to take in this scenario?

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Sports Result.bmp (1.72 MB, 36 views)
poloman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
960design
macrumors 6502a

Lots of ways to do this.

After reading your requirements and guessing at between the lines I'd recommend:

1) Wordpress for the front end / backend - uses MySQL / PHP
2) Find a plugin that grabs sports stats, or better grab a book and write your own plugin that grabs the stats.

Let the code do the work, updating stats on a constant basis becomes a huge pain and error prone.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:05 AM   #3
blanka
macrumors 68000

With PHP/GD/MySQL you can generate custom images from databases. Nice combination to learn.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
trenthanover
macrumors newbie

looking at current trend you should use wordpress...
trenthanover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development