Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:19 AM   #1
zephyr2095
macrumors newbie

How do I build a website?

Hi everyone

My mother has a little business that she runs from her home. I really want to help her expand her business. I thought a website would really help her business grow.

I have read a few books on C but I haven't used it for any coding. What all is required to build a website?
If I wanted to build it on my own, what all should I know? I'm willing to learn and I really want to build a website.

Thanks in advance.
zephyr2095 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Red Menace
macrumors 6502

There are a few site building applications out there, but take a look at W3Schools to get an idea of what is involved - and it isn't C.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 02:14 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr2095 View Post
Hi everyone

My mother has a little business that she runs from her home. I really want to help her expand her business. I thought a website would really help her business grow.

I have read a few books on C but I haven't used it for any coding. What all is required to build a website?
If I wanted to build it on my own, what all should I know? I'm willing to learn and I really want to build a website.

Thanks in advance.
You'd want to learn HTML/CSS/some PHP, not C, that's a whole other ball game.

I'd advise you to play around with WordPress (http://wordpress.org). For your mom's needs, it would be better if you used a content manager system instead of flat out HTML coding. That way, you can focus on the HTML mostly, and learning how to use the system. Then you can teach her how to use the system and not get into all the other mumbo jumbo.

This way she can do her own edits on her own.

I mention WordPress because you have lots of options with it. You can even take one of the many themes already made, and just add to them and skip the whole learning code thing except to switch out images and change the colors.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 04:57 AM   #4
thatoneguy82
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyr2095 View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance.
What both posters said above. Also, where do you plan on hosting it? I think it's best to have your own domain that's the name of the business - makes it look more professional. As with many hosting companies, the domain registration is usually $9.99/year but it's often waived for new accounts. DreamHost(.com) offers hosting at about ~$9-10/mo. Which includes unlimited space and a bunch of web apps. The more expensive monthly has a dedicated, physical server whereas the cheaper plans have a shared, virtual server.
thatoneguy82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 05:23 AM   #5
zephyr2095
macrumors newbie

Thank you for your replies.

I'm an engineering student and my engineering has nothing to do with coding, website building etc. I usually study everything in the classroom and in my spare time I've absolutely nothing to do.

My mother has a small business of supplying home cooked food to people and because I live away from home, I realised it is the best food one can have.

What I wanted was to build a website on my own to expand her business by building a website. Even if the website fails, it'll be an opportunity to learn.

The only thing I want to know is what all should I do?
Any books/articles where I can find out everything. It'll be a hobby project for me
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Visit W3Schools.com and do all their excercises. It'll take less than a month, I think, to learn the basics of all the languages that are involved in nearly every website (HTML, CSS, JS, and JQ).

Depending on what you want to do with it, you may also want to learn things like PHP. And you'll need to host this somehow.
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
zephyr2095
macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 02:53 PM   #8
smithrh
macrumors 68020

While the coding route is admirable and not a bad path for the time being, I'd suggest looking at WordPress at the same time.

If the business grows, you'll have your hands full even if using WordPress as a starting point. As Jessica mentions, the amount of options, plugins and themes for WordPress is staggering - there's no way you could put together a viable website quickly and keep it going with hand coding, but with WordPress, you can.
smithrh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2013, 05:21 AM   #9
SpinalTap
macrumors regular

Although I own Dreamweaver I also like RapidWeaver. This is a substantive evolutionary - and superior - product to Apple's own iWeb.

Also, RapidWeaver is significantly cheaper than Dreamweaver.

However, to make best advantage of RapidWeaver you really need the third-party 'Stacks' add-on (which really should have been included with the program).

http://realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:51 AM   #10
trenthanover
macrumors newbie

W3Schools.com is the best for you to learn building website..
trenthanover is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development