Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
was anyone able to order online after 10PM and pick up at their local store?

I spoke to customer sales support and they said that they have been selling out in 3-5 minutes, so when I login at 10:30 or so, they are all gone.

Just curious if anyone has had luck with this

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
just wait a couple weeks for the hype to die down a little, you have a 4S, you're going to live

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
I have, you have to start trying at around 9:55. When I got mine it was 10:01pm.

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Or you could log in at 10 and get one? If you get it in within 5 minutes, you can see a lot of them available but they do not last long. Just be quick. I have 10 or so nearby Apple stores so it is pretty easy to find one in stock within 20 miles.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Actually I have a Black 16GB 5 I got on release day, but I am giving this to my son, and I really need at least 32GB, maybe even 64GB, but I have just been unable to get one. I tried ordering from AT&T, but let's just not go there ok, needless to say I still have no phone.

PN4

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
CHS
You're in luck, 32gb black is the most common one that I have seen available T 10pm the last few nights.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I'd give you some pointers, but then I'd have more competition. ;-)

Suffice to say that yes, inventory appears, and yes, inventory disappears VERY quickly.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Isn't there already a thread or two on this subject. We need to hide the New Topic button better and make the Search button more visible.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Huge thread on this topic here. I'm not the search police, I want you to get the information you need. It appears success is highly dependant on location.

Edit: Holy Smokes! Just like trying to get an iPhone at 10 PM I'm too late. Well played, dfinecy. :)

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Huge thread on this topic here. I'm not the search police, I want you to get the information you need. It appears success is highly dependant on location.

Edit: Holy Smokes! Just like trying to get an iPhone at 10 PM I'm too late. Well played, dfinecy. :)

MUHAHAHAHA...if only I was this successful in actually getting an iPhone 5 at 10 PM ;)

shashinca

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
nj
Actually I have a Black 16GB 5 I got on release day, but I am giving this to my son, and I really need at least 32GB, maybe even 64GB

i'm new to smart phone. i'm curious why 16gig is not enough for you? I'm just trying to figure out which one to get.

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
i was actually able to land a 16GB white tonight in charlotte NC. it appeared that NC in general got a few different models scattered about. Didnt last long though.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
I ordered from at&t, but is it possible to pick it up from apple store?

1 - Read existing threads. They have lots of information.

2 - If you buy from ATT, you get it from ATT.
If you buy from Apple, you get it from Apple.

3 - Yes, lots of people have success online.

n4uaj

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
i was actually able to land a 16GB white tonight in charlotte NC. it appeared that NC in general got a few different models scattered about. Didnt last long though.

Northlake or SouthPark? And what time did ya start looking?

childoftheko4n

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northlake or SouthPark? And what time did ya start looking?

South Park. I was about to take the one in greensborough (i think it was?) though.

I had the items in my card from previous nights and was referesing from like 9:55 onward. Order was finalized (as far as email i got) at 10:03.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
You're in luck, 32gb black is the most common one that I have seen available T 10pm the last few nights.

What carrier? I have been trying for Verizon and haven't found one in the eastern time zone. Tried Orlando to NYC to Michigan. Not one. I started at 9:58 and kept looking till 10:10.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
So I won the 10:00 lottery tonight for my missing 16GB White AT&T.

Here's what you need to know:
- It updates early. 9:54 yesterday, 9:57 today. 10:00 is too late to check in NJ.
- Have the phone in your cart ready to go well in advance. Apple doesn't delete carts. The phone I paid for tonight was put in my cart on Friday. Just go back to the cart page and refresh it until the " pick up " option becomes available.
- Have a credit card already attached to your Apple ID, and make sure you know the security code on the card and can type in your password in 1 shot.
- These things go *extremely* fast. Make sure there won't be any validation errors - badly formatted phone numbers, etc. Last night I missed out because I missed the terms of service checkbox.
- You haven't locked up the phone until you hit the place order button and it comes back a success. Everything before then, you're on the clock, and need to be fast, perfect, and decisive (say if the nearest store with stock is further than you'd like).

I completed mine by 9:58 and got the confirmation email at 9:59. Speed is king. Anyone checking at 10 near me would only see stock at NYC flagship stores, and those were gone by 10:03.

Kaze105

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
1 - Read existing threads. They have lots of information.

2 - If you buy from ATT, you get it from ATT.
If you buy from Apple, you get it from Apple.

3 - Yes, lots of people have success online.

1. I have read and searched and didnt find anything hence my post.
2. Apparently not, someone else pmed me they got it from apple after ordering from att.
3. Dont even know what this is about as I didnt ask if people have success online.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005

- It updates early. 9:54 yesterday, 9:57 today. 10:00 is too late to check in NJ.
- Have the phone in your cart ready to go well in advance. Apple doesn't delete carts. The phone I paid for tonight was put in my cart on Friday. Just go back to the cart page and refresh it until the " pick up " option becomes available.
- Have a credit card already attached to your Apple ID, and make sure you know the security code on the card and can type in your password in 1 shot.
- These things go *extremely* fast. Make sure there won't be any validation errors - badly formatted phone numbers, etc. Last night I missed out because I missed the terms of service checkbox.
- You haven't locked up the phone until you hit the place order button and it comes back a success. Everything before then, you're on the clock, and need to be fast, perfect, and decisive (say if the nearest store with stock is further than you'd like).

I completed mine by 9:58 and got the confirmation email at 9:59. Speed is king. Anyone checking at 10 near me would only see stock at NYC flagship stores, and those were gone by 10:03.

I didn't work that quick. Tried at 10 but got mine at 1015

There is no method to this madness. Roulette.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011

Do it on your phone via the app? Or computer? If via phone how do you "refresh" to see when the option is available.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Do it on your phone via the app? Or computer? If via phone how do you "refresh" to see when the option is available.

I was successful on the Mac, but a couple days ago I had been trying with the app too. It works in much the same way (the cart saves, etc.). If you view the cart, click the individual item, and click the "Cart" back button, it will refresh the cart and show the pick up option if it's available. The only thing I was less trusting of is if it was caching my inventory search results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.