Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I was thinking of going with Sidecar for voice and Pinger for SMS. Are these my best options for not affecting my data plan while visiting Canada? I *think* Pinger Voice is not free but SMS is free?

I'd like to turn Data & Roaming off for my week long trip.

Last edited:

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I think I'll be using Pinger for both Voice and SMS. Pinger Voice isn't free but it's not too expensive.

Yell-O

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012
I usually switch to a regular flip phone when I get to the border, but with the iphone 4/5 I just turned off cellular data, use imessage for texts (most people I talk to have iPhones) and just use regular minutes since I don't make calls often there.

If your phone's unlocked you could grab a $10 prepaid sim card and load it with some minutes and texts.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I usually switch to a regular flip phone when I get to the border, but with the iphone 4/5 I just turned off cellular data, use imessage for texts (most people I talk to have iPhones) and just use regular minutes since I don't make calls often there.

If your phone's unlocked you could grab a $10 prepaid sim card and load it with some minutes and texts.

Hmmmm....I should take my old, off-contract 3GS (now used as a repurposed ipod touch) to AT&T and have them unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.