Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Oct 2, 2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Tech198
macrumors 601

cassette to CD

Hi all..

WHats the best way to get cassette into digital form ?

The rason is I wish to get these into digital before they degrade, and get them onto CD.

However, the stereo only has an AUX in, and while we have an AMP available, I don't think this would work.

I do have a 3.5 to 3.5mm jack i can plug from headphone from stereo to LINE IN on Mac, but dunno weather this would do, as sound may be un-even.

Suggestions ?

Also, on the software side, i'd thought i'd use adacity.

ALthough i do have CD Spin doctor (Toast 11.1), not sure if this would be on on Moutain Lion as of yet.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #2
Tech198
macrumors 601

Solved.

Decided to get those walk men style with USB connection, since it would prove to be better sound (... or as best as analog would give me)
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:47 AM   #3
PlasticCard9
macrumors newbie

cassette to cd

Connect Your Cassette Tape Player To Your Computer!
The first thing it does is to guide you through the process of actually hooking up your cassette tape, reel-to-reel, or 8-track to your computer. A friendly voice assistant guides you through the process with questions and images. Once you get it hooked up, the Recording Level Wizard helps you automatically get the perfect recording level so that you don't record too low or too 'hot' with distortion.
Record Your Cassette Tapes
Take the first cassette off your old stack and put it in your tape deck. Rewind it and then click "Record". Press the Play on the tape player and the software will automatically record. When side one is done, the friendly voice assistant will ask you if you want to record side two.
When you are done recording, just click "Stop". The software will automatically trim out the silence and split your recording into tracks!
Remove Hiss & Hum!
Spin It Again doesn't stop at splitting tracks! The program shines with it's automatic noise reduction! Just select a cleaning preset such as "Tape Noise BeGone!" and it will instantly find a good noise print and apply it to the recording. The result is a recording that sounds BETTER than the original! If you want to record your old LPs & records, it will remove clicks, pops & crackles, as well!
Burn A CD Or Create An MP3
Burn as many CDs as you'd like. If the recording is longer than 80 minutes, it will burn it over multiple CDs. Alternatively, you can create MP3 files with proper tags and all. The process is stream-lined, easy and fun! Do it again and record another cassette to CD!
PlasticCard9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:57 PM   #4
RRutter
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RRutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasticCard9 View Post
Connect Your Cassette Tape Player To Your Computer!
The first thing it does is to guide you through the process of actually hooking up your cassette tape, reel-to-reel, or 8-track to your computer. A friendly voice assistant guides you through the process with questions and images. Once you get it hooked up, the Recording Level Wizard helps you automatically get the perfect recording level so that you don't record too low or too 'hot' with distortion.
Record Your Cassette Tapes
Take the first cassette off your old stack and put it in your tape deck. Rewind it and then click "Record". Press the Play on the tape player and the software will automatically record. When side one is done, the friendly voice assistant will ask you if you want to record side two.
When you are done recording, just click "Stop". The software will automatically trim out the silence and split your recording into tracks!
Remove Hiss & Hum!
Spin It Again doesn't stop at splitting tracks! The program shines with it's automatic noise reduction! Just select a cleaning preset such as "Tape Noise BeGone!" and it will instantly find a good noise print and apply it to the recording. The result is a recording that sounds BETTER than the original! If you want to record your old LPs & records, it will remove clicks, pops & crackles, as well!
Burn A CD Or Create An MP3
Burn as many CDs as you'd like. If the recording is longer than 80 minutes, it will burn it over multiple CDs. Alternatively, you can create MP3 files with proper tags and all. The process is stream-lined, easy and fun! Do it again and record another cassette to CD!
It essentially is the same thing as converting vinyl to FLAC, or something recorded on the computer. It gets the track from the original source (casette), takes out hums, etc (kind of like how when you get vinyl on your computer, you can take out clicks/pops) and then allows you to convert from a .wav to whatever you want, to ensure you avoid a transcode.
RRutter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio