Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:20 PM   #1
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Lte Is underwelming in Chicago

I have found lte to be disappointing in Chicago. Both on AT&T (galaxy s 3) and Verizon iPad 3 and iPhone 5. Elsewhere probably awesome. Just Chicago
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:21 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

ok, it works fine for me in California.
saving107 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
FelixDerKater
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
I have found lte to be disappointing in Chicago. Both on AT&T (galaxy s 3) and Verizon iPad 3 and iPhone 5. Elsewhere probably awesome. Just Chicago
What kind of speeds are you seeing?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:37 PM   #4
rshroff2
macrumors regular

I was getting 20+ Mbps speeds by the lemont st and 75th st area and around 7 Mbps around plainfield and route 83 on Sprint. But Sprint is only about half way done setting up LTE in Chicago, so its bound to be spotty. Where I live, I dont have LTE, but have noticed 3G is a little better (BIG emphasis on the little). I can, for the most part, stream music while driving, so I hope they're working on towers in my area so I can get some LTE my way. But, I was under the impression that AT&T and Verizon had amazing LTE speeds in Chicago, I guess not?
rshroff2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:38 PM   #5
iapplelove
Banned

AT&T iPhone 5 on LTE is pretty damn fast around the providence ri area. Faster than most wifi connections
iapplelove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:44 PM   #6
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixDerKater View Post
What kind of speeds are you seeing?
Ranging from 5mbps to 15

I'm in Lakeview
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:14 PM   #7
sdfu93
macrumors newbie

Chicago has always had capacity issues, like any major city. You'll get much better speeds way out in the 'burbs.

AT&T has half (5x5mhz) the spectrum as Verizon (10x10mhz) in Chicago, so you'll usually get better results from Verizon, especially on offpeak hours. AT&T's LTE is slightly faster and has less latency than HSPA+ in Chicago.

AT&T is supposed to launch another band of 5x5mhz on AWS waves, but to use both bands at the same time requires an LTE-Advanced device (which don't yet exist). The FCC is also giving the go ahead for AT&T to acquire a nationwide 20mhz band, but the iPhone 5 won't be able to use it.
sdfu93 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8
tophermd
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to tophermd
Lakeview here too...

FWIW
I've actually been testing this out myself:
I'm getting between 2-19 Mbps down on AT&T iPhone 5
Around 5-22 Mbps down on Verizon iPad 3 (AKA the New iPad)

That's traveling between Lakeview/Andersonville, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, Des Plaines from home to work last 3 days.
In general, Verizon LTE is smoking AT&T LTE in my testing... probably that limited LTE spectrum AT&T has that I've been hearing about on the interwebs.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:40 PM   #9
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68020

Chicago has always had issues with every carrier. I know that AT&T only has half the spectrum running in the city and is trying to get the other half soon to match VZW in the area for LTE coverage and speeds.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

Anyone have speeds to report for the Naperville/Bolingbrook area?
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:52 PM   #11
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophermd View Post
FWIW

That's traveling between Lakeview/Andersonville, Skokie, Lincolnwood, Park Ridge, Des Plaines from home to work last 3 days.
In general, Verizon LTE is smoking AT&T LTE in my testing... probably that limited LTE spectrum AT&T has that I've been hearing about on the interwebs.

Yeah I use Verizon for my own use. I always have signal and never dropped calls on vz. I know the speed is because its a City but its still disappointing. But vz smokes AT&T. Does verizon have more spectrum?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfu93 View Post
Chicago has always had capacity issues, like any major city. You'll get much better speeds way out in the 'burbs.

AT&T has half (5x5mhz) the spectrum as Verizon (10x10mhz) in Chicago, so you'll usually get better results from Verizon, especially on offpeak hours. AT&T's LTE is slightly faster and has less latency than HSPA+ in Chicago.

AT&T is supposed to launch another band of 5x5mhz on AWS waves, but to use both bands at the same time requires an LTE-Advanced device (which don't yet exist). The FCC is also giving the go ahead for AT&T to acquire a nationwide 20mhz band, but the iPhone 5 won't be able to use it.
It always seems such patchwork and us paying for The networks laziness.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:56 PM   #12
lionqueen
macrumors 6502

Lol, I read this as "life is underwhelming in Chicago"...
lionqueen is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:07 PM   #13
elixxxer
macrumors newbie

Yep. I'm in Lakeview or the Loop 90% of the time and it blows.
elixxxer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 11:44 PM   #14
jlp2979
macrumors member

I'm in Chicago and have been with Verizon since last October. At that time I made the switch from AT&T due to unreliability in the loop on a regular basis and swore I'd never switch back. I've never had issues with Verizon. All my friends and family are on AT&T though.

I've noticed that phone calls sound a LOT better when on a call from one AT&T phone to another AT&T phone vs Verizon phone to AT&T phone. In general I also prefer the fuller sound of AT&T / GSM calls...when they go through... I have the iPhone 5 w/ VZW currently and LTE has been rock solid everywhere for me so far (loop, north burbs, joliet, des plaines).

So my question is, is AT&T LTE in Chicago likely to be more reliable than its 3G / HSPA+? I want to switch back but hated not being able to use my phone in busy areas. Are you guys in the loop / north side experiencing the brutally slow data speeds like before LTE?
jlp2979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:05 AM   #15
MyMacintosh
macrumors member

I'm out in Aurora/Naperville. No I do not have a iPhone 5 nor do I know the speeds. Just felt like telling my location. Sorry.
MyMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 AM   #16
jester0723
macrumors regular

Verizon LTE in Richmond is great. Usually get 20-30 down, I've seen low 40s. More than fast enough.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:23 AM   #17
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlp2979 View Post
I'm in Chicago and have been with Verizon since last October. At that time I made the switch from AT&T due to unreliability in the loop on a regular basis and swore I'd never switch back. I've never had issues with Verizon. All my friends and family are on AT&T though.

I've noticed that phone calls sound a LOT better when on a call from one AT&T phone to another AT&T phone vs Verizon phone to AT&T phone. In general I also prefer the fuller sound of AT&T / GSM calls...when they go through... I have the iPhone 5 w/ VZW currently and LTE has been rock solid everywhere for me so far (loop, north burbs, joliet, des plaines).

So my question is, is AT&T LTE in Chicago likely to be more reliable than its 3G / HSPA+? I want to switch back but hated not being able to use my phone in busy areas. Are you guys in the loop / north side experiencing the brutally slow data speeds like before LTE?

Yeah I left AT&T cos of dropped calls in the loop also. I'm guessing its not changed for calls as LTE is only for data.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:26 AM   #18
AppleFan91
macrumors 6502

I'm in Indianapolis and so far, the LTE has been impressive to say the least, it pulls on average 25-35 Mbps
AppleFan91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:35 AM   #19
stevetim
macrumors 6502a

Stopped at midway yesterday. Pretty busy at Midway with iDevices EVERYWHERE.

Not too bad I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	365942  
stevetim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:47 AM   #20
mpossoff
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophermd View Post
FWIW

Not a 'smoking' difference with AT&T averaging 2-19 and VZW averaging 5-22
mpossoff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:49 AM   #21
jaybagley
macrumors newbie

In Jefferson Park last night. I'm seeing between 3.5-27(My Max) in various locations across the city and Evanston.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-03 10.45.25.png
Views:	13
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	366026  
jaybagley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #22
b24pgg
macrumors 65816

Works great for me. I'm downtown.

b24pgg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:04 AM   #23
~Phi
macrumors regular

I'm in lakeview and have been getting less than 2 Mbps all morning. I'm not impressed with AT&T LTE speeds in Chicago so far. On launch day I was averaging around 9 - 10 Mbps, but haven't seen those speeds since.
~Phi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:36 AM   #24
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

In Mount Prospect I'd get around 26 down, 10-12up,
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:58 AM   #25
tophermd
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to tophermd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpossoff View Post
Not a 'smoking' difference with AT&T averaging 2-19 and VZW averaging 5-22
yeah,
I didn't want to bore everyone with the detailed results of my testing over 3 days so I just gave the ranges. when you look at the side-by-side tests, however, you see that Verizon LTE is routinely 3-5x faster than AT&T LTE in the same spot.
Reporting the range was a little deceiving/misleading...I apologize. Verizon only had 1-2 results at the low point of the range I gave whereas MOST of AT&T's speedtest results were at the lower end of the range listed for AT&T...hence the "smoking" comment I made in my original post
This was done over 3 days between Lakeview and the north burbs stopping to and from work along the way 4-6 times on each trip to test data speeds.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone