Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 2, 2012, 08:53 PM   #1
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Don't damage your iPad 3, genius replacements are hilariously trash

Don't do it. I found a dead pixel in mine, and now after 4x replacements I have a pink and green mess of an iPad.

Gazelle for $500? Yea it's about the best ill get for it. I'll take dead pixels over these trash replacements. 2x DKs and 2x DMPHs. Heavy yellowing on one side or green and pink rainbow screens. Take your pick.

It's 2012, and after my experience with the retina macbook pros, iPhone 5s and these iPads... Apple is pretty much done. Produce masses to feed the mass demand, end up playing the lottery to find one gem out of a dozen trash units.

Worst part is that there is still utterly no competition for apple products. We don't even have a choice but to take our chances getting something apple made or just accept a gigantic plastic pile of software and hardware turd from Samsung, Microsoft, or any of their partners.
mzjin is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 09:17 PM   #2
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I have yet to see a defective iPad...anywhere...and I see lots of them since we issue them at work.

Sorry but I have a hard time believing these types of threads.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Here is proof then (see attached photos)

There is light bleed at the bottom edge (see photo). This combined with the above mentioned chip in the corner of the aluminum shell makes for a great brand new iPad 3 purchase this afternoon.
The light bleed is blackened out (during a movie etc). It lights up the top and bottom black letter boxes during movies and adds a sunset pink tint to it as well.

Games are unplayable (especially Metal Storm) - it can't keep a steady frame rate, it's choppy all over the place and has already frozen once and required a hard reset

When they said the new iPad retina was magical, I didn't know they meant the screen was like a rainbow. I'm still wondering where the lucky pot of gold is, because I deserve a handful for the amount of gas I've wasted driving back and forth to the Apple Store only to be told "I don't see the defect, but out of good faith we will replace it". To me, that's a micro-settlement.

Apple should retrofit it's iPad 2 line (new and refurb) with 4G. I would likely jump on that opportunity because these Retina screens have the quality control equivalent of a McDonald's Happy Meal toy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (2).JPG
Views:	392
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	365906   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
Views:	378
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	365907  

Last edited by Medic311; Oct 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Medic311 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:11 AM   #4
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I have yet to see a defective iPad...anywhere...and I see lots of them since we issue them at work.

Well it's like the genius, they also don't see the defective iPads but I do. We don't all have the same level of color acuity or vision, and I suspect a lot of iPads have uneven screens but are within tolerance or specification for the mass majority of consumers.

My friend who I showed all these iPads too can't tell a difference at all, when its immediately obvious to me. He also has an antiglare protector on his which adds a ton of sparkle and noise and that doesn't bother him at all either.
mzjin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:18 PM   #5
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

I honestly think retina happened too early on the iPad.

Too many compromises in QC and design. Apple actually made the iPad THICKER, and it takes forever to charge. Processing performance didn't keep up with 4x the pixels, as has been demonstrated with the iPad 3 being equal or even slower than the iPad 2.

The technology wasn't quite ready IMHO and combine that with the production demand for the most popular tablet in the world, and things are bound to go wrong.

I do love the idea and promise of retina screens, I think it just hit the iPad one generation too early.

That being said, most people do seem happy with their screens, either because they are just fine or don't notice the problems.
ActionableMango is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:24 PM   #6
The Economist
macrumors regular

My first "new" iPad had a pink screen. I returned it, asked for refund and bought a new one a while later. My second iPad's screen wasn't pink and looked alright until I started reading text on white backgrounds. It had a very noticeable "dark/yellow corner".

I kept it. The dark corner still bothers me to this day but I decided to just live with it and not participate in the display lottery again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post

Look harder or don't look at all.
The Economist is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Skika
macrumors 68020

Woah such a drama queen. Apple is finished lol really please get a life.

I have an iPad 3 with no issues whatsoever.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:36 PM   #8
Argentine86
macrumors member

I've dropped my iPad once when I took it out of a cover, have since had the SmartCase and has protected it great. The damage has left a chamfered corner, causing the screen to separate from the rear panel by about 1mm, allowing a little pop if i press it in.

Works fine in the SmartCase, yet since I have AppleCare+ I will most likely get a replacement with more time or before the coverage ends. Hope this is just a rare rant and I get a good one when so
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:40 PM   #9
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Woah such a drama queen. Apple is finished lol really please get a life.

I have an iPad 3 with no issues whatsoever.
Unlikely. My other new ipad is about the best ipad screen I've ever seen out of the 10 or so I've owned and all the display models.

Even then it has slight red color shift in bottom and slight yellow bleed on sides.

Some people simply don't have the ability to see these things due to physiological differences I suspect in visual discernment.
mzjin is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:10 PM   #10
dasx
macrumors 65816

I bought an iPad 3 on launch day. A stuck pixel appeared a couple of months later. Had it replaced. Red stuck pixel out of the box. Replaced again. A LOT OF dust under the screen. Replaced again. Dead pixel. Replaced again. A tiny thing (dust?) under the screen next to a corner. Decided to live with that.

So... Kind of understand you. But I also noticed that none of the people I showed my iPad to saw any kind of problem with it.
dasx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:13 PM   #11
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgg204 View Post
Here is proof then (see attached photos)

There is light bleed at the bottom edge (see photo). This combined with the above mentioned chip in the corner of the aluminum shell makes for a great brand new iPad 3 purchase this afternoon.
The light bleed is blackened out (during a movie etc). It lights up the top and bottom black letter boxes during movies and adds a sunset pink tint to it as well.

Games are unplayable (especially Metal Storm) - it can't keep a steady frame rate, it's choppy all over the place and has already frozen once and required a hard reset

When they said the new iPad retina was magical, I didn't know they meant the screen was like a rainbow. I'm still wondering where the lucky pot of gold is, because I deserve a handful for the amount of gas I've wasted driving back and forth to the Apple Store only to be told "I don't see the defect, but out of good faith we will replace it". To me, that's a micro-settlement.

Apple should retrofit it's iPad 2 line (new and refurb) with 4G. I would likely jump on that opportunity because these Retina screens have the quality control equivalent of a McDonald's Happy Meal toy
all this proves is your unbelievably anal. neither of those pictures are "return worthy" in my eyes.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:20 PM   #12
mzjin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAkD View Post
all this proves is your unbelievably anal. neither of those pictures are "return worthy" in my eyes.
Lol! And to me they look like a unit that is trash that isn't worth recycling.
mzjin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:21 PM   #13
ixodes
macrumors 601

I work for a very large international company. The complex where my main office is located holds hundreds of engineers and other staff. Many of my friends and counterparts in the lab are Apple enthusiasts.

I see all kinds of Apple laptops, pads, pods, and phones. My point? Nearly every single refurbished product that I've seen has been just like new. Apple is not perfect (who is?) but I will say they have a refurbished program that's one of the finest I know of.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 03:27 PM   #14
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular

Just requested to return my iPad off - after an issue with the home green button, might go to a retail store and get it done there and then. So I can see the results of a refurbished model.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:00 PM   #15
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

I've yet to see a pink or yellow hued iPad and I have 20/20 vision. I'm sure defective iPads exist, but I feel they are more rare than threads like this suggest.

I'm guessing that those in certain fields like photography may notice subtle differences that others cannot perceive--maybe. Are there competing tablets that don't have this problem? Buy it.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:06 PM   #16
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
Look harder or don't look at all.
I have and like I said before, no issues.

You people seem to forget that there are thousands and thousands of flawless iPads, people only come online to complain.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:23 PM   #17
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

Backlight bleeding, depending on how bad it is, is tolerable to some and not so much to others. It's a personal and subjective issue. It may not be an issue to me, but who am I to say if it's an issue for you. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with it based on the photo, and neither does the scratch bother me.

If it bothers you that much then consider your options. My iMac has backlight bleeding as well under really dark conditions, but I don't use it under such environments 99% of the time so I could care less.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Markdek
macrumors member

Too bad, the iPad 2's are perfect!
Markdek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:11 PM   #19
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjin View Post
Lol! And to me they look like a unit that is trash that isn't worth recycling.
on a positive note, the replacement i received today is perfect with a capital "P"
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 09:43 PM   #20
saberahul
macrumors 68040

On another note, I am sparta!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 10:01 PM   #21
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by saberahul View Post
on another note, i am sparta!
i am spartaaaaaaa
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:59 PM   #22
bossxii
macrumors 68000

The really amazing part is people are so anal about a blue, yellow or pink color temp in their LCD's but are ignorant to the fact LG, Sharp, Japan Display (companies making LCD's for Apple) all set their color temps to what they think looks best. These are not defective LCD's, sorry it's your OCD and lack of knowledge, nothing more. Light bleed is annoying but exactly how many times do you stare at a blank, black screen to even see it? OCD maybe? Light bleed has to be pretty damn bad to effect normal use. The pursuit of perfection as you all think is beyond what pretty much any company will ever achieve considering the millions of devices being produced. I'm sorry if your offended, but the OCD wanna be Apple bashers need a reality check. I have seen hundreds of iPad, iPod and iPhone LCD assemblies, more likely thousands as I am in the repair industry and these types of issues are laughable.

The internet is there as a resource and instead of educating yourself about the how, when and why... people would rather stick their head in the sand and cry while screaming foul!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 01:22 AM   #23
The Economist
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxii View Post
The really amazing part is people are so anal about a blue, yellow or pink color temp in their LCD's but are ignorant to the fact LG, Sharp, Japan Display (companies making LCD's for Apple) all set their color temps to what they think looks best. These are not defective LCD's, sorry it's your OCD and lack of knowledge, nothing more. Light bleed is annoying but exactly how many times do you stare at a blank, black screen to even see it? OCD maybe? Light bleed has to be pretty damn bad to effect normal use. The pursuit of perfection as you all think is beyond what pretty much any company will ever achieve considering the millions of devices being produced. I'm sorry if your offended, but the OCD wanna be Apple bashers need a reality check. I have seen hundreds of iPad, iPod and iPhone LCD assemblies, more likely thousands as I am in the repair industry and these types of issues are laughable.

The internet is there as a resource and instead of educating yourself about the how, when and why... people would rather stick their head in the sand and cry while screaming foul!
That's a long post whining about people whining. You should find a new hobby.
The Economist is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:24 AM   #24
seadragon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxii View Post

Its not so much the general tint of the screen. It's when the tint is uneven and is noticeably pink in one corner and yellow/green in the other corner. Or the backlighting is uneven with dark blotchy areas on the screen. I've seen many iPads with this problem. I tried 4 "new iPads" and gave up. Bought an iPad 2 instead. The iPad 2 does not have this issue. The iPad 3 does. People will continue to post about this until the problem is fixed.
seadragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:25 AM   #25
960design
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I've deployed over 800 iPads this year and only had 2 that we returned. I lean towards your statement.
1) The touch screen was not responsive at all, couldn't even get the slider to to work to get it from the 'iPad' screen. Apple sent me a shipping box the day after I requested a return, the FedEx girl waited while I placed the iPad in the container and gave it back to her. I received a replacement the next day.
2) The other had a hairline glass crack around the camera. Replaced in two days.

I'd be very frustrated if I was in Mzjin's position as well. Luckily, I know that this is rare and that karma is paying it back or forward. You should buy a lottery ticket, because the odds of something like that happening to the same person 4 times is pretty slim IMHO.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad