Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
Can someone tell me how to sync a new set of bookmarks from one of my Macs via iCloud? I have all of the settings right (I think), but it does not sync the right set of bookmarks.

I have two iMacs and a Macbook Pro. I use Xmarks so I have all of the same Safari bookmarks on all my systems.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not sure what you mean by right set? Do you mean the right computer? Just go into iCloud settings in System Prefs on one of the computers and turn off Safari. That will stop that machine from syncing Safari bookmarks to iCloud and your iOS device. Then just turn on iCloud Safari in the machine you want to sync bookmarks with.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I have two systems - MBP and iMac - that I use...the third is in the kitchen and I don't have it configured. I have Xmarks on both those systems so my Safari bookmarks are the same on both. I have iCloud set to copy my bookmarks to my iPhone(s) (work phone) and iPad. All three devices have an older set of bookmarks. I have turned syncing of in my iCloud settings and on my phone. Neither one of those actions has fixed the problem.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Just curious but if you have all Macs and iDevices and you are already using iCloud to sync bookmarks for your iDevices, why would you use Xmarks at all? That's just asking for trouble and complication. iCloud syncs with your Macs too. It's a complete solution.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just curious but if you have all Macs and iDevices and you are already using iCloud to sync bookmarks for your iDevices, why would you use Xmarks at all? That's just asking for trouble and complication. iCloud syncs with your Macs too. It's a complete solution.

That is what I was thinking. Having two sync systems going at once is going to lead to trouble.

tomegun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Las Vegas
I have done it that way because I was previously a Chrome user primarily. But it is easy enough to turn Xmarks off. Honestly, I do not think that will work, but I will turn it off and see.

This could lead to me simplifying things - if this works I will remove Xmarks and Chrome from my systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.