Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I recently got a new appleid. I deleted all of my apps associated with the old account.

However, it seems like when my phone is off for awhile and I start a text, it will ask for my old appleid password. Also upon startup it will ask for it 2 times.

Any ideas what could be forcing my old account to be popping up and asking for my old password?

Thanks

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You should go through everything on the phone and remove the old Apple ID. The iTunes Stores, iCloud, Gamecenter, iMessage, Home Sharing, Facetime, etc.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
You should go through everything on the phone and remove the old Apple ID. The iTunes Stores, iCloud, Gamecenter, iMessage, Home Sharing, Facetime, etc.

Yes I removed the old appleid (I think --under Settings-Itunes & app stores?).

Itunes Stores-never even logged in
iCloud - plan to (long story)
GameCenter - never used/logged in
iMessage - How do you remove an id from that?
Home Sharing-never used
Facetime- How to?

Last edited:

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

Home Sharing-never used
Facetime- How to?

mine would do that too. after a restore from new on new iPhone, I don't seem to have that problem anymore.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Home Sharing-never used
Facetime- How to?

If you haven't removed it from iCloud, FaceTime, or iMessage then that's likely your problem. For Facetime and iMessage, got to the apps in settings and add your new one. Then tap on the old ones and it gives you the option to remove them.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
If you haven't removed it from iCloud, FaceTime, or iMessage then that's likely your problem. For Facetime and iMessage, got to the apps in settings and add your new one. Then tap on the old ones and it gives you the option to remove them.

Thanks for the replies. When I go to settings-Facetime, it looks like my old account is not being used anyways ("it says in bold Use your Apple ID for FaceTime" as if I'm not using one now).

Also, I still don't see anywhere to select a specific account for imessage. In Messages-iMessage, it is simply ON.

Also, I just want to make sure, if I delete my icloud account on my phone (which my sister mistakenly shares), her icloud account on her phone will not be affected will it?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
In Settings > Messages scroll down a bit to "Send & Receive". That's where you are able to add and remove email addresses and phone number associated with it. There you will also be able to tap on the Apple ID (at the very top) and sign out of her account. You should do that first.

Her phone won't be affected at all if you delete her iCloud account from your phone.

CraigyDSaunders

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2012
This thread was so helpful, I had no idea that my old apple ID was attached to my iMessage, FaceTime, and home sharing! That's what made the ID keep popping up for me! Thanks for the advice! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.