Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
There's basically two things that I need to work on my computer for my business.

1. PowerDirector (video editing software)
2. Happauge HD PVR (hardware) and TotalMedia Theatre 5 - ArcSoft (software)

Will I be able to run these two things exceptionally on a MAC or am I better off just sticking with a PC?

Every PC I've tried ends up overheating, freezing, software crashes, etc.

I'm currently running a HP TouchSmart TM2 with Intel Core i5 CPU @ 1.33 GHz with 4GB of RAM and having problems with it running these softwares.

Long story short, will a MAC run these softwares better with me using bootcamp or something?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
The software should list some sort of recommended system requirements. I would start from there.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
If you're buying a Mac just to run Windows, then you're better off buying a high end PC that can handle those software. Your current machine is underpowered.

Reminisce32

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
If you're buying a Mac just to run Windows, then you're better off buying a high end PC that can handle those software. Your current machine is underpowered.
How much power do you think that I need?

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
How much power do you think that I need?

The reason your machine chokes is because its an under powered laptop. The minimum requirement for PowerDirector alone is a Intel Core i7 Quad Core with 6GB ram minimum. (http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-ultimate-suite/specs_en_US.html)

If you want to work with professional video editing software for Windows I would suggest a desktop as a laptop will overheat whether it is underpowered or not.

If you want a PC, pick up an Intel Core i7 Quad Core processor and max out the ram where possible (8gb+) from Dell or HP, etc.

If you want to go the Mac route, take a look at the iMac and upgrade to aftermarket ram of 16GB. Take a look at the 21" iMac if you don't care for the higher resolution screen of the 27" iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.