Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Can I ask for a refund after purchasing an iPod touch ?

I mean that after several days of purchase and I'm not satisfied with it. I believed that I purchased an iPod touch 4G at the end of the cycle and the unit was a used iPod touch since it had been activated and registered by someone else.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Apple lets you return products purchased from them up to 14 days after purchase. There should be a "must be returned by" date towards the bottom of your Apple receipt.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Apple lets you return products purchased from them up to 14 days after purchase. There should be a "must be returned by" date towards the bottom of your Apple receipt.

Well, my local store didn't tell me that kind of situation. He said that all purchased ipods/iphones can't be returned nor refunded. Actually I'm having a bit of problem with it. It seems that I can't register its SN as Apple said that the SN doesn't exist.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Well, my local store didn't tell me that kind of situation. He said that all purchased ipods/iphones can't be returned nor refunded.
If you didn't buy at an Apple Store, then returns are subject to whatever the policy is of the store you bought from.

Are you in the US? What store did you buy from? Could they have sold you a used one?

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
If you didn't buy at an Apple Store, then returns are subject to whatever the policy is of the store you bought from.

Are you in the US? What store did you buy from? Could they have sold you a used one?

It was an Authorized Reseller in Indonesia (there's no Apple retail store here). The ipod was lagging like hell even when unlocking and it got a bad battery lifetime.

The packaging was still sealed, however, I've ever read some news about repackaging used ipod just like new. I suspected that sometimes, after the store received a returned unit, they repacked it and resold it illegally at a lower price (which I got for about 10% discount).

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
At this point, you'll need to consult consumer protection policies in Indonesia. Every country's consumer protection laws are slightly different and there are typically many ways in which a given retailer can legally operate under those laws.

Here in the United States, you can probably try several things before launching into legal action. You can bring it up with the merchant in question; if they have a customer satisfaction policy, they will typically follow their policy.

Another option is to use the merchant dispute service from the credit card company if you make the purchase with a decent credit card. They will act on your behalf in discussing the issue with the offending merchant. American Express is the very best at this, and I typically make all big ticket purchases using my American Express card (as well as major travel arrangements like airplane tickets, hotel reservations, rental car reservations, etc.).

Few instances will make it to court, but there is always an option to file a legal action against the merchant. Most merchants won't let a situation get this far.

Again, my comments are based on US consumer protection policies, particularly those for a California resident. I am not familiar with Indonesian consumer protection law.

Good luck.

badboyz31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
At this point, you'll need to consult consumer protection policies in Indonesia. Every country's consumer protection laws are slightly different and there are typically many ways in which a given retailer can legally operate under those laws.

Here in the United States, you can probably try several things before launching into legal action. You can bring it up with the merchant in question; if they have a customer satisfaction policy, they will typically follow their policy.

Another option is to use the merchant dispute service from the credit card company if you make the purchase with a decent credit card. They will act on your behalf in discussing the issue with the offending merchant. American Express is the very best at this, and I typically make all big ticket purchases using my American Express card (as well as major travel arrangements like airplane tickets, hotel reservations, rental car reservations, etc.).

Few instances will make it to court, but there is always an option to file a legal action against the merchant. Most merchants won't let a situation get this far.

Again, my comments are based on US consumer protection policies, particularly those for a California resident. I am not familiar with Indonesian consumer protection law.

Good luck.

Well, I'll try it. Probably the store could've been desperate about how to sell all remaining iPod touches 4G as the 5G units had came out. If I'm lucky enough, I might get a new 5G iPod touch with the refunded money.

Anyway, it is possible for returned or refunded iPods to be resold to consumers ? I thought that all returned or refunded iPods are sent back to Apple, if I'm not mistaken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.