Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I remember this worked on my 3G, but I don't think it worked on my iPhone 4. Out of curiosity I tried it on my iPhone 5. Sure enough it works!

To enter field mode:

Open up the dialer and dial

*3001#12345#*

Press call.

Presto! Field mode!

Of course this is for AT&T. It's pretty cool to see my signal strength.

EC2FD741-B2B0-483B-A3AB-852D740516A0-222-0000005F4EF395F0.jpg

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I remember this worked on my 3G, but I don't think it worked on my iPhone 4. Out of curiosity I tried it on my iPhone 5. Sure enough it works!

To enter field mode:

*3001#12345#*

Press call.

Presto! Field mode!

Did this on a 3GS and it works, and I am in Asia.

Cheers

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

To enter field mode:

*3001#12345#*

Press call.

Presto! Field mode!

Are you aware that you can keep your phone in field test mode (that is, keep the db indicator that can toggle back to bars)? After you've put your phone in field test mode, hold down the sleep button until the red slider appears. Then release the sleep button and hold down the home button to force the field test to close. You will be left with the numerical signal strength indicator. To toggle between the number and the familiar bars, just tap the indicator. I've had it on my phone since the 3GS.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are you aware that you can keep your phone in field test mode (that is, keep the db indicator that can toggle back to bars)? After you've put your phone in field test mode, hold down the sleep button until the red slider appears. Then release the sleep button and hold down the home button to force the field test to close. You will be left with the numerical signal strength indicator. To toggle between the number and the familiar bars, just tap the indicator. I've had it on my phone since the 3GS.

That's even Better.

Cheers

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012

That is awesome! I didn't know that. Thanks a ton for sharing!!

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Interesting how on the 5, the Field test mode still shows up in "letterbox" mode. :)

Also, there's an additional submenu if you're covered by LTE.

IMG_1219.PNG
IMG_1220.PNG

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I thought that was weird too. I also thought they got rid of field mode with iOS 4.

ar93

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
LA
i just tried this and it works but what does this actually do? ive never heard of this.:confused:

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I changed my signal strength indicator to db using a jailbreak tweak on my 4S (ATT). When I restored the backup to my iP5 (VZW), the db indicator setting carried over. Assuming this means field test mode will work on VZW iP5s?

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Yes, I am also wondering what this does. Perhaps, in lieu of the existing signal bars, it's simply a different unit of measurement of signal strength?

I believe it's attenuation. The closer to zero, the better your signal strength (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I've been reading it for the last six months or so).

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Haha that is so cool. I'm glad that people know some of this stuff on here, it shows how this forum, although is mostly just for fun, can also be an awesome source for interesting and helpful information like this

iregret

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Haha that is so cool. I'm glad that people know some of this stuff on here, it shows how this forum, although is mostly just for fun, can also be an awesome source for interesting and helpful information like this

The coolest part is this:

I like being able to tap the corner and have it switch between bars and numbers.

ServiceTag

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Oh men, I should know this trick long time ago..
From last year I am having major problem with AT&T reception at my house and I can't convinced AT&T to do something. They claim one cell site at my neighborhood is in repair but nobody gives me any answer when they going to fix it. (repair suppose to be done by end of May 2012)
We have already October and my Signal level is usually at one bar or Searching...
I am eligible for iP5 upgrade but at this situation I am NOT going to commit for another 2 years of nightmares.
Besides I am not even sure if iP5 has better reception than my 3GS or my wife's iP4.

The Field Test says now -111 and that looks like 1 bar.
Does anybody knows how to check signal for specific cell site by this test and what's minimum number I should have at least some reception.
I'm sick and tired call AT&T every month for an update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.