Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:10 AM   #1
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Question BlackBerry to iPhone 5

Anyone here switched from BlackBerry to the iPhone 5? I'm a long time user of BlackBerry smartphones. I'm thinking of switching to iPhone, the iPhone 5 to be specific. Will it be worth it? The most important feature in BlackBerry is BlackBerry Messenger. Are there any good alternatives to that for iPhone?
LadyX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
ematsui
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyX View Post
Anyone here switched from BlackBerry to iPhone 5? I'm a long time user of BlackBerry smartphones. I'm thinking of switching to iPhone. Will it be worth it? The most important feature in BlackBerry is BlackBerry Messenger. Are there any good alternatives to that for iPhone?
came from bb

whatsapp messenger and Apple's native iMessage are similar to bb messenger.. but you cant communicate with users of bb messenger but they work the same way
ematsui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:16 AM   #3
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematsui View Post
came from bb

whatsapp messenger and Apple's native iMessage are similar to bb messenger.. but you cant communicate with users of bb messenger but they work the same way
Do you like the iPhone better?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
caesarp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Anyone here switched from BlackBerry to the iPhone 5? I'm a long time user of BlackBerry smartphones. I'm thinking of switching to iPhone, the iPhone 5 to be specific. Will it be worth it? The most important feature in BlackBerry is BlackBerry Messenger. Are there any good alternatives to that for iPhone?
yes. Did the switch from BB Bold 9650 to iPhone 5. There is no comparison. iPhone does everything BB does, plus more. iMessage is better than BBM.

Some people like the physical keyboard on the BB. I couldn't care less about the keyboard. I like the bigger screen on the iPhone 5 and the ability to actually use the Internet (much faster on the iPhone), not to mention the gazillion apps with the iPHone that the BB does not have. Apps on the BB are a joke.
caesarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Moneymiike420
macrumors regular

Who owns blackberrys anymore lol it will be a night nd day switch the iPhone blows doors on any blackberry or android device especially the iPhone 5
Moneymiike420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:23 PM   #6
zman98
macrumors member

I have to carry a BB for work so I have two devices with me most of the time (iphone 5 & BB Curve). The ONLY time I look at the BB is to reply to emails. The functionality of the BB is not even in the same ballpark as the iphone.
zman98 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:30 PM   #7
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
My entire office had 18 people with Blackberries in 2008. Then, people become more vocal about what devices they wanted in late 2009/2010. Now, no one carries a Blackberry (not an exaggeration).

From what I heard from our ex-hardcore BB users was this in a nut-shell: "We miss the BlackBerry keyboard but it doesn't outweigh the iPhone's ease of use & speed. BlackBerry was good for email/texting but that was it. If you wanted to do something else, it sucked."

In regards to BBM: iMessage is built in to every iDevice, so it's great to use (although it's not 100% reliable...), but Kik & Whatsapp work great too.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:40 PM   #8
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
I switched my parents off of their BlackBerries to a pair of unlocked iPhone 4's. They state it's a night and day difference, and that they have never been able to do so much on a phone before. It isn't just a tool for communication, it is a tool for computing.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
iorderediphone5
macrumors member

I used to love my Blackberries... Had an 8900, then a 9700 before getting an iPhone 4 in 2010. Fantastic messaging devices. Had some great apps on there and I LOVED keyboard shortcuts

I don't know how it is now, but I couldn't take the data outages any longer. I got tired of shelling out money every month and then data goes down for hours at a time every now and then. It's not the network either, it's RIM.
iorderediphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
isoft7
macrumors 6502a

The BB Bold 9930 is what I use daily now, nothing comes close to it's quality of phone call clarity, it's BES and BIS push system, and it's hardware keyboard.

iPhone is a much better entertainment device, obviously, but the BB is a much better communications device.
isoft7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
pragmatous
macrumors 6502a

The Bold 9930 is pretty solid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoft7 View Post
The BB Bold 9930 is what I use daily now, nothing comes close to it's quality of phone call clarity, it's BES and BIS push system, and it's hardware keyboard.

iPhone is a much better entertainment device, obviously, but the BB is a much better communications device.
pragmatous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
MacWorld78
macrumors member

I came from Blackberry 9970 to iPhone 5, now it's much easier to access any applications and get the job done faster over emails..

If you miss blackberry keyboard - maybe you'll love this?

Once you get - You'll never go back
MacWorld78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #13
devils21
macrumors member

yes i did and trust me do bb sucks
devils21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:30 AM   #14
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

BlackBerry to iPhone 5

Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to say that I just ordered my first iPhone. A white 32GB. Really excited!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:35 AM   #15
squidkitten
macrumors regular

Excited for you to get your iPhone!

I had my Blackberry for two years before I got my iPhone 4, and, not to be dramatic, it was life changing.

I had to bust it out last month so my brother could use it after he lost his Droid, and I had a big of a nostalgic moment. I do miss the keyboard and the cute little shape, but it's no where near as powerful and functional as the iPhone.

Hope you enjoy the switch!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 01:58 AM   #16
Dlanod
macrumors 6502a

You'll miss that addictive wee flashing light. I did. And I have and iPhone and a Bold 9900. IPhone for Web stuff and BB for comms.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 02:02 AM   #17
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

BlackBerry to iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlanod View Post
You'll miss that addictive wee flashing light. I did. And I have and iPhone and a Bold 9900. IPhone for Web stuff and BB for comms.

LOL, yeah. My current BlackBerry is a Bold 9900 but the iPhone will be my primary and only mobile phone once I receive it. I don't want to have two phones. It doesn't matter, I get used to new things pretty quick.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:50 AM   #18
ARSC
macrumors 6502

you will love the new iphone, crackberrys are outdated now.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
wingsabr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by isoft7 View Post

Agree...I use apple for my personal devices (iPhone and iPad), but I have to carry a BB for work. I recently upgraded from a torch (junk) to the 9900, which is excellent for emails and the hardware keyboard is unmatched. Great mass communication device.
wingsabr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:04 AM   #20
rychencop
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to rychencop Send a message via Yahoo to rychencop
i came from a Bold and of course there is no comparison between it and the iPhone 5. take the plunge...you're on a sinking ship.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 06:06 AM   #21
bmwman3241
macrumors regular

I use an iPhone 5 and Blackberry 9900. I like and prefer the iPhone and only reason I have the BB is for BBM, which cannot be replaced. I use iMessage and WhatsApp, but they couldn't replace BBM.

For the people saying no one uses Blackberry anymore, 90% of Dubai (and Gulf Countries) use Blackberrys, and I am sure Canadians and others do as well.
bmwman3241 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:00 AM   #22
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman3241 View Post
For the people saying no one uses Blackberry anymore, 90% of Dubai (and Gulf Countries) use Blackberrys, and I am sure Canadians and others do as well.
That is so true. I'm from Abu Dhabi myself and a lot of my friends use BlackBerrys, only a small number of them have iPhones. People here in the UAE do like iPhones but they can't make themselves get rid of their Blackberrys (because of BlackBerry Messenger), so the majority have two phones, an iPhone and a BlackBerry. I don't know if this will change because the iPhone 5 is selling pretty fast here in the UAE.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:18 AM   #23
JodyK
macrumors 6502a

Congrats on making the switch I am confident you will not regret your decision.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 07:57 AM   #24
caesarp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That is so true. I'm from Abu Dhabi myself and a lot of my friends use BlackBerrys, only a small number of them have iPhones. People here in the UAE do like iPhones but they can't make themselves get rid of their Blackberrys (because of BlackBerry Messenger), so the majority have two phones, an iPhone and a BlackBerry. I don't know if this will change because the iPhone 5 is selling pretty fast here in the UAE.
Getting a voicemail on a BB is so antiquated compared to the iphone. I was astounded how easy it was to retrieve a voicemail on my iphone the other day. No dialing into voicemail, no passwords, just press play on your phone. Getting a voicemail on a BB is painful. Wait, what key makes hitting that key a number; wait what key makes it a letter again. Please re-enter your password. Press 7 to delete 9 to save. Aaargh.
caesarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:35 AM   #25
LadyX
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyK View Post
Congrats on making the switch I am confident you will not regret your decision.
Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone