Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:43 PM   #1
zachnelson
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Nearly two weeks later - iPhone 5 nicked all over

I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

Anybody seeing similar issues?

Pics added in page 2
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5

Last edited by zachnelson; Oct 3, 2012 at 02:20 PM.
zachnelson is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #2
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hamilton, New Zealand
No pics = Thread does not deliver
TM WAZZA is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:46 PM   #3
spblat
macrumors 6502a
 
spblat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I smacked my white iP5 with a seatbelt buckle within the first day and made a small nick in the chamfer. No big deal. No other damage so far.

I'm forming the opinion that some black iPhones were released from the factory with faulty anodizing. I've seen test videos that indicate it should be able to take some serious abuse before wearing off. If you have serious problems consider taking it in to an Apple store and see what they say.
__________________
spblat on twitter | spblat on youtube
spblat is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:48 PM   #4
KoukiFC3S
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Pics? Mine looks brand new.
KoukiFC3S is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
IllIllIll
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Unless you're an alien and sweat sulfuric acid, that's not what's causing nicks in the finish.
IllIllIll is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6
noobinator
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pasadena, CA
You're taking care of it wrong.
noobinator is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:49 PM   #7
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachnelson View Post
I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

Anybody seeing similar issues?
I don't believe you. The part that touches your ear is glass so unless you have a caustic personality sweat does not wear down glass.

Two weeks later and my iPhone is still flawless.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God
 
xraydoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 192.168.1.1
Mine is in a case around 50% of the time. I remove the case quite frequently (don't like it but I get nervous when using the phone over concrete). Still looks brand new.
__________________
3.5GHz i7 27" iMac Surface Pro 3 i5 2.5GHz i5 Mac mini + 27" Thunderbolt display iPhone 6 Plus
xraydoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
bob24
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Could you post pictures to give an idea of how bad it is?
bob24 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Ryan.Tanner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: McKinney, TX
Zero nicks on my phone. You just have to take better care of it.
Ryan.Tanner is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:52 PM   #11
sou1 so1di3r
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Send a message via AIM to sou1 so1di3r
zero nicks on my phone........


beacuse I still dont ****ing have one!!!!!!!!11
sou1 so1di3r is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
bobright
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Pictures or it didn't happen
bobright is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:53 PM   #13
zachnelson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I'll go grab the camera and take some pictures, it may take a moment to get them up though.

I do take care of my phone well, it never leaves my pocket or hand, doesn't get set on desks or anything, especially on the glass.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5
zachnelson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:55 PM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachnelson View Post
I'll go grab the camera and take some pictures, it may take a moment to get them up though.

I do take care of my phone well, it never leaves my pocket or hand, doesn't get set on desks or anything, especially on the glass.
No one who takes care of their phone ends up with one as damaged as you say.
__________________
64 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:55 PM   #15
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.Tanner View Post
Zero nicks on my phone. You just have to take better care of it.
Not necessarily. I bet the OP's iP5 has defective anodizing coating like many others that seem to be hypersensitive to scratching, nicking or rubbing off whereas the rest of us have zero nicks after a week or two of normal use.

It's clearly defective anodizing coating. Get it swapped for a non-defective one.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:56 PM   #16
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachnelson View Post
I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

Anybody seeing similar issues?
Sweaty or greasy hands do not cause "nicks all over the band".

What will be happening to everyones black iPhone 5 is areas that are exposed to handling including just putting in your pocket will see the anodizing wear through and show the silver beneath. It will occur on the edge/corners first. A friend's is showing a good bit of wear carrying his black 5 in his pocket on a daily basis with nothing but the phone in that pocket.

No way a naked black iPhone 5 will stay "pristine" if used on a regular basis!
HowardSmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:58 PM   #17
jumpmandds
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ohio
No pics=No nicks......
jumpmandds is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 01:59 PM   #18
MotleyGrrl
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
I went to set my phone down next to my macbook pro and misjudged - tapping the side of the phone against the side of the macbook and it caused a gouge. Yes, I am keeping it naked but would never expect a small tap to cause such a nick!
MotleyGrrl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:01 PM   #19
zachnelson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
Sweaty or greasy hands do not cause "nicks all over the band".

What will be happening to everyones black iPhone 5 is areas that are exposed to handling including just putting in your pocket will see the anodizing wear through and show the silver beneath. It will occur on the edge/corners first. A friend's is showing a good bit of wear carrying his black 5 in his pocket on a daily basis with nothing but the phone in that pocket.

No way a naked black iPhone 5 will stay "pristine" if used on a regular basis!
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
No one who takes care of their phone ends up with one as damaged as you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Not necessarily. I bet the OP's iP5 has defective anodizing coating like many others that seem to be hypersensitive to scratching, nicking or rubbing off whereas the rest of us have zero nicks after a week or two of normal use.

It's clearly defective anodizing coating. Get it swapped for a non-defective one.
Let me rephrase what I meant by nicks.

The part where its slanted, it's wearing down or something. Silver is showing in bright lines in the edges. Not something than can be caused by a drop or scraping it. It's like the coloring is wearing off.. that's why I thought it was my hands.

----------

Also I don't have a camera in my house right now. My sister has her iPad at school, and the only other camera I know of is my phone. I'll have to post pictures later.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5
zachnelson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:01 PM   #20
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by sou1 so1di3r View Post
zero nicks on my phone........


beacuse I still dont ****ing have one!!!!!!!!11
That's funny!

And to everyone asking for pics. Why? There are a ba-gillion pics floating around the Internet. What missing information will his pics provide? (Is the point to determine flaking off (defect) vs. "you banged it against something and should be more careful"?)
PNutts is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:02 PM   #21
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardSmith View Post
Sweaty or greasy hands do not cause "nicks all over the band".

What will be happening to everyones black iPhone 5 is areas that are exposed to handling including just putting in your pocket will see the anodizing wear through and show the silver beneath. It will occur on the edge/corners first. A friend's is showing a good bit of wear carrying his black 5 in his pocket on a daily basis with nothing but the phone in that pocket.

No way a naked black iPhone 5 will stay "pristine" if used on a regular basis!
It doesn't explain why the rest of us who carry our black iP5 naked in our pockets still have flawless metal band after a week or two. Showing the silver underneath just from sliding in and out of a pocket is indicative of defective anodizing coating (same with the black rubbing off just from regular wiping).
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:03 PM   #22
zachnelson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
It doesn't explain why the rest of us who carry our black iP5 naked in our pockets still have flawless metal band after a week or two. Showing the silver underneath just from sliding in and out of a pocket is indicative of defective anodizing coating (same with the black rubbing off just from regular wiping).
This must be my problem then.
__________________
15-inch Retina MacBook Pro and iPhone 5
zachnelson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:08 PM   #23
apierrec
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
You have a defective stock prone to scuffing from the beginning, you should've gone to Apple Store and not wait for a week (unless you want this get posted here). Thanks for reporting.

Mine was manufactured last week (week 39), still looks perfect despite my non-stop use and in & our of my pocket NAKED (not really I put it inside my Oakley sunglasses cloth pouch when not in use).
apierrec is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:10 PM   #24
iphone1105
macrumors 68000
 
iphone1105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Had it since release day, no nicks or damage to my phone! Not in a case, only has a front screen shield on it.
__________________
Proud owner of a Mid 2013 Macbook Air
64GB iPhone 6 Plus
32GB Wifi+4G iPad 4
iphone1105 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2012, 02:11 PM   #25
iHeartapple2
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I got my iPhone 5 on launch day and it's naked. No nicks, no scuffs, and no problems.
__________________
iHeartApple2.com
iHeartapple2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 weeks > 2 weeks beta timeline? jbenkelman iOS 7 17 Jul 24, 2013 12:30 PM
New slip in shipping estimates on the Italian Store: 21.5 3-4 weeks, 27 4-6 weeks Covenanter iMac 3 Feb 5, 2013 10:41 AM
Resolved: Apple online iPhone 5 order dropped to 2 weeks but mine still remain 2-3 weeks? jackwills iPhone 0 Nov 22, 2012 02:36 PM
Dinged/Nicked OUT of Box: Two Black iPhone5 64gb Normal didiee iPhone 61 Sep 27, 2012 06:50 PM
My iphone 5 is "nicked" out of the box ThReMiX iPhone 5 Sep 23, 2012 07:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC