Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

Anybody seeing similar issues?

Pics added in page 2

Last edited:

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I smacked my white iP5 with a seatbelt buckle within the first day and made a small nick in the chamfer. No big deal. No other damage so far.

I'm forming the opinion that some black iPhones were released from the factory with faulty anodizing. I've seen test videos that indicate it should be able to take some serious abuse before wearing off. If you have serious problems consider taking it in to an Apple store and see what they say.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Unless you're an alien and sweat sulfuric acid, that's not what's causing nicks in the finish.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I received a pristine iPhone 5 in the mail, nearly two weeks later is is nicked all over the band that is at a slanted angle. I'm pretty careful with my devices, and these nicks are not gashes or anything of the sort.

I think the anodized coating is sensitive to sweat or grease. I have very sweaty hands and the part where the phone touches my ear/head when I'm on the phone is significantly worn.

I don't believe you. The part that touches your ear is glass so unless you have a caustic personality sweat does not wear down glass.

Two weeks later and my iPhone is still flawless.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Mine is in a case around 50% of the time. I remove the case quite frequently (don't like it but I get nervous when using the phone over concrete). Still looks brand new.

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
I'll go grab the camera and take some pictures, it may take a moment to get them up though.

I do take care of my phone well, it never leaves my pocket or hand, doesn't get set on desks or anything, especially on the glass.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'll go grab the camera and take some pictures, it may take a moment to get them up though.

I do take care of my phone well, it never leaves my pocket or hand, doesn't get set on desks or anything, especially on the glass.

No one who takes care of their phone ends up with one as damaged as you say.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Zero nicks on my phone. You just have to take better care of it.

Not necessarily. I bet the OP's iP5 has defective anodizing coating like many others that seem to be hypersensitive to scratching, nicking or rubbing off whereas the rest of us have zero nicks after a week or two of normal use.

It's clearly defective anodizing coating. Get it swapped for a non-defective one.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

Sweaty or greasy hands do not cause "nicks all over the band".

What will be happening to everyones black iPhone 5 is areas that are exposed to handling including just putting in your pocket will see the anodizing wear through and show the silver beneath. It will occur on the edge/corners first. A friend's is showing a good bit of wear carrying his black 5 in his pocket on a daily basis with nothing but the phone in that pocket.

No way a naked black iPhone 5 will stay "pristine" if used on a regular basis!

MotleyGrrl

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Chicago, IL
I went to set my phone down next to my macbook pro and misjudged - tapping the side of the phone against the side of the macbook and it caused a gouge. Yes, I am keeping it naked but would never expect a small tap to cause such a nick!

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010

What will be happening to everyones black iPhone 5 is areas that are exposed to handling including just putting in your pocket will see the anodizing wear through and show the silver beneath. It will occur on the edge/corners first. A friend's is showing a good bit of wear carrying his black 5 in his pocket on a daily basis with nothing but the phone in that pocket.

No one who takes care of their phone ends up with one as damaged as you say.

Not necessarily. I bet the OP's iP5 has defective anodizing coating like many others that seem to be hypersensitive to scratching, nicking or rubbing off whereas the rest of us have zero nicks after a week or two of normal use.

It's clearly defective anodizing coating. Get it swapped for a non-defective one.

Let me rephrase what I meant by nicks.

The part where its slanted, it's wearing down or something. Silver is showing in bright lines in the edges. Not something than can be caused by a drop or scraping it. It's like the coloring is wearing off.. that's why I thought it was my hands.

----------

Also I don't have a camera in my house right now. My sister has her iPad at school, and the only other camera I know of is my phone. I'll have to post pictures later.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
zero nicks on my phone........

beacuse I still dont ****ing have one!!!!!!!!11 :mad:

That's funny!

And to everyone asking for pics. Why? There are a ba-gillion pics floating around the Internet. What missing information will his pics provide? (Is the point to determine flaking off (defect) vs. "you banged it against something and should be more careful"?)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

It doesn't explain why the rest of us who carry our black iP5 naked in our pockets still have flawless metal band after a week or two. Showing the silver underneath just from sliding in and out of a pocket is indicative of defective anodizing coating (same with the black rubbing off just from regular wiping).

zachnelson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2010
It doesn't explain why the rest of us who carry our black iP5 naked in our pockets still have flawless metal band after a week or two. Showing the silver underneath just from sliding in and out of a pocket is indicative of defective anodizing coating (same with the black rubbing off just from regular wiping).

This must be my problem then.

apierrec

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
You have a defective stock prone to scuffing from the beginning, you should've gone to Apple Store and not wait for a week (unless you want this get posted here). Thanks for reporting.

Mine was manufactured last week (week 39), still looks perfect despite my non-stop use and in & our of my pocket NAKED (not really I put it inside my Oakley sunglasses cloth pouch when not in use).

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Had it since release day, no nicks or damage to my phone! Not in a case, only has a front screen shield on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.