Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradbrad1016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
South Carolina
Hello,

I'm a fairly new user to these forums, but considering I've read a lot of threads lately, I figured I could get a pretty logical response. Currently, I have a 2010 11" MacBook Air, 64GB model running OS X 10.8.2. The 64GB HD is really becoming too small and I am really looking into purchasing a 120GB OWC SSD replacement, with the Envoy solution. I am inquiring this Mac community as to whether this is a good option or not. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews, some even saying that if this drive is ordered, it won't fit. Can some of you shed some light on some good solutions for my problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Might be cheaper to order a 128GB pulled from a 2010 MBA off eBay. Have you looked into that?

bradbrad1016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
South Carolina
Well, I do have another source that can install the standard Samsung 128GB version for $130. However, ordering through OWC would allow me to reuse my older HD as a portable external drive, which is really ideal. Hence my question about the reliability of OWC. I'm wanting to confirm that this is the best solution before I commit to purchasing a drive from them.

wilycoder

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I have OWC's 480GB SSD in my 2012 air.

The first unit the sent me was defective. The replaced it no questions asked with 2 day shipping (and free return shipping).

I was really upset the first one didnt work but the customer service is top notch.

raftr

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Ireland
I'd say it is worth buying new with warranty rather than some "pull-out" on eBay.

My 240GB 6G OWC replacement died after 5 months of use and got replaced quickly. It's always a risk with HDD and SSD, not a big problem as long as you maintain regular backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.