Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adcx64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Hey guys,

I'm on my third iPhone due to scuffs. Today the third arrived and I was greeted by a little scuff on the top. I'm to the point where I'm done caring! Im just gonna enjoy the worlds greatest smartphone in my pocket. :)

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
This is great news for apple... keep providing substandard quality products and sell them off as "normal"...

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I've had two iphone 5 devices in black. First one was a week 37 build and the 2nd was a week 38. First one was 100% flawless (in regards to scuffing) and the 2nd one has, admittedly two of the smallest (like pinhead) blemishes. I'm not even sure they're "scuffs" or where the anodization has worn off... more like just the metal band wasn't flat and the annodization kinda sunk in. I looked it over very, VERY closely twice and didn't see them until the 3rd time. Honestly, I've probably done worse damage to the anodized part already just plugging it into the charger at night in the dark... and if not, I will likely do it within a month.

I do believe it's a real issue and I think I would be ticked if mine came out looking like some of the one's I've seen on here. I've physically held 4 iPhone 5 models (my first one, my co-workers, my second one and one at the verizon store). None of them suffered from "scuffgate".

It's hard for me to say exactly what I'd do in someone's shoes like the OP. I've never been super OCD about my phones but then again, I've never had a phone that costs $850 ($950 if you count the extended warranty).

blue rocket

Suspended
Jul 28, 2010
CT, USA
not worth the time... i'm on my 3rd, still not perfect. oh well, it's just a phone and chances are i'll cause my own scuffs, nicks anyway. in a year a new iPhone will be out, i'll sell this one and get another... circle of life.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Hey guys,

I'm on my third iPhone due to scuffs. Today the third arrived and I was greeted by a little scuff on the top. I'm to the point where I'm done caring! Im just gonna enjoy the worlds greatest smartphone in my pocket. :)

That's not good. You shouldn't accept anything that is damaged out of the box. You're giving Apple a pass on something that is not trivial. What will you accept next time? A sub standard screen? Staticky speaker? Loose buttons? You see where I'm going with this? If you tell them scratches are okay then you are telling them you'll accept imperfect devices. That is not acceptable, especially on a $650-$850 phone.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't own a single physical item that doesn't show wear and tear on it.

My logitech mouse?
My Mazda 3?
My Canon 7D?

Everything I own has some place where I can point to and say "yeah, this has clearly been used." And yet, somehow, people have complained for over 5 years that Apple products work the same way.

Look, I feel for the people whose phones are coming messed up out of the box. They should complain. You should get a few days to feel like a king.

But anything past a week? Scuffs? Scrapes? Bruises? It's called life, it's gonna happen.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I don't own a single physical item that doesn't show wear and tear on it.

My logitech mouse?
My Mazda 3?
My Canon 7D?

Everything I own has some place where I can point to and say "yeah, this has clearly been used." And yet, somehow, people have complained for over 5 years that Apple products work the same way.

Look, I feel for the people whose phones are coming messed up out of the box. They should complain. You should get a few days to feel like a king.

But anything past a week? Scuffs? Scrapes? Bruises? It's called life, it's gonna happen.

Agreed. But never, ever coming out of the box.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I have been to the Apple store 3 times since i5 has launched... none of the display models have scuffs. I know... I checked them all!

I noticed the same thing in the Apple store I visited on Monday. No scuffs anywhere. I've received two iPhone 5 models with no scuffs or visible damage. Just lucky, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.