Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 4, 2012, 04:08 AM   #1
EltonT
macrumors member

iPhone 5 Loose Power Button

My first White 64GB iPhone 5 had a loose power button which rattles every time the phone vibrates and is noticeably loud when I get an alert while I'm on the phone. Got my replacement yesterday, I was happier because this one was scuff-less but the power button issue still exists so I'm wondering if all iPhone 5s out there have this problem.
EltonT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:37 AM   #2
EltonT
macrumors member

Bump
EltonT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 08:42 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

the only rattle I experience is from the camera.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:18 AM   #4
kevin222
macrumors member

I have two iPhone 5's and they both have the same "loose" lock button. My 4S had one too, but not as prominent. It is a little annoying when it vibrates and makes a slight rattle but I do think it's just the way the phone is. One of my phones does do it more than the other and I've considered swapping it but feel like I'll just get the same thing in another phone...
kevin222 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Towelie1288
macrumors regular

mine also does this too execpt i dont hear it when it vibrates
if i shake the phone close to my ear i hear a small rattle of the power button
but its no biggie i dont have a problem with it
besides all the iphones 5 i have messed around with have the same issue soo
i am not sure if it is a defect but imho nothing to go and b1tch and moan about and exchange ur iphone still love my iphone 5 though
Towelie1288 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
paulie6978
macrumors 6502

does this for me as well. Im on my second iphone. the one i swapped it for is rattling adn the vibration feels weak.

back to the apple store i go
paulie6978 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:18 PM   #7
AnnoyediPhoner
macrumors newbie

Mine too! It's so annoying but I wonder if its even worth another trip to Apple. This is my third decide. 2 were swapped right out of the box due to scuffs. The third actually had an issue where the screen was lifting on the lower left corner!

Apple really missed the quality check boat here.
AnnoyediPhoner is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:42 PM   #8
orange42
macrumors 6502a

I noticed today that mine seems to rattle a little bit now. I never noticed until today so I don't know if it suddenly started to happen or not or when but I don't seem to notice it when it vibrates. Nothing is really wrong with my phone so I don't think I'm gonna bother trying to get a new one.
orange42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:15 AM   #9
dcingie
macrumors newbie

C'mon Apple... Seriously?

I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the white 32gb iPhone and this was one of the first things that I noticed!! Soooo frustrating! Apple spent so much time talking about how they take a picture of the back of the phone with such a high powered camera to obtain the best fitting components, and all that bs, and then they can't properly fit an on/off button?

This is so frustrating and affects my enjoyment of the phone. This may not bother most, but to me it is frustrating. My iphone 4 feels like a better built piece of equipment. I want to swap my iPhone 5 out for a new one, but everyone says that all the phones are like this, so I'm not sure that this would accomplish anything.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the new iPhone demo units at the Apple Store tomorrow and see if this truly is experienced on all their units. I will update to this post once I do. If it isn't experienced on all the phones, you better believe I'll be scheduling an appointment with the genius bar ASAP. Thank you everyone for posting and showing me that I'm not the only person that this bothers!
dcingie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:20 AM   #10
ixodes
macrumors 601

It's normal. Some do & some don't.

Apple has loosened it's quality standard to enable Foxconn to pump out as many units as humanly possible.

Too bad it's not "humanely".
Old Oct 5, 2012, 05:21 AM   #11
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

this is the only issue my launch day 5 has.

not going to swap it out incase I get a phone with more issues
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:41 AM   #12
EltonT
macrumors member

Got my second replacement and the rattling is gone for now, hopefully there aren't other problems with this unit..
EltonT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:59 AM   #13
jk4lebron23
macrumors 6502a

Mine rattles but I kind of like it because I can never feel my phone vibrate and the rattle is just loud enough for me to hear it and not disturb anyone else
jk4lebron23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:30 PM   #14
dcingie
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcingie View Post
I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the white 32gb iPhone and this was one of the first things that I noticed!! Soooo frustrating! Apple spent so much time talking about how they take a picture of the back of the phone with such a high powered camera to obtain the best fitting components, and all that bs, and then they can't properly fit an on/off button?

This is so frustrating and affects my enjoyment of the phone. This may not bother most, but to me it is frustrating. My iphone 4 feels like a better built piece of equipment. I want to swap my iPhone 5 out for a new one, but everyone says that all the phones are like this, so I'm not sure that this would accomplish anything.

I'm going to try to get my hands on the new iPhone demo units at the Apple Store tomorrow and see if this truly is experienced on all their units. I will update to this post once I do. If it isn't experienced on all the phones, you better believe I'll be scheduling an appointment with the genius bar ASAP. Thank you everyone for posting and showing me that I'm not the only person that this bothers!
Hey guys, as promised, I wanted to update you all as to the status of my loose iphone power button. I just returned from the Apple Genius Bar, where the Genius saw my issue, confirmed that it is indeed wobbly, and swapped out my phone for me. Before talking with him, I did check the demo phones just to cover my bases and to have grounds to challenge him if he were to try to tell me that the loose button was within the "normal range," but that never became an issue as the phone was swapped out without any hassle. Just wanted to share this experience with everyone out there since these forums have helped me so much, and I wanted to contribute. Thanks for reading.
dcingie is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:20 AM   #15
verity
macrumors member

Lucky you got a reasonable guy. I went in with the same issue that I noticed on my replacement unit (orignal replaced due to syncing issues). When I accepted it I only checked for scratches and the screen. At the genius bar I was told the looseness of the power button is "within spec, there's no functionality loss" although he agreed it's loose. Also said since it's a replacement I'm trying to replace it's harder to prove faultiness because they all are individually checked and certified.

This power button rattling around really gets to me, so I went about it another way and got a ********** extreme cut side wrap. The thing is so precisely cut there's minimal give around the buttons, so for now it's as silent as it's going to be.
verity is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:18 AM   #16
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular

My button is really wobbly also and makes noise when the phone is moved, didn't really think it was a problem since the button is aluminum I have a feeling all of them will do this after a while since its a soft metal and may become more compact the more you press it.
swervinsuburban is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:55 AM   #17
TaylorMatsu
macrumors member

I have this issue too, but it isnt worth it for me to get a replacement. Its kind of ridiculous to get a new phone just because of a tiny rattle from the power button
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:59 AM   #18
MattMJB0188
macrumors 68000

I had this ISSUE on an iPhone 5 and returned it, waited a month and bought a new one without ANY problems. I'm enjoying a rattle-free iPhone 5.

Anyone with this issue should return their phone or live with it. It won't heal itself.
MattMJB0188 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #19
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

cant believe I am saying this but my loose power button has fixed itself on its own, it is now solid and completely firm

i guess it just needed time to break in
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:57 PM   #20
maxosx
macrumors 68020

The power button on mine is really bad.

When I push it, it moves
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #21
buddyspencer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
cant believe I am saying this but my loose power button has fixed itself on its own, it is now solid and completely firm

maybe the dust ;-)
buddyspencer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 06:55 AM   #22
Razaryel
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post

Sorry to necro this thread but I can't send PMs or I would have just PMd InfinitiG

Did this really happen? The rattle went away after a while and it's now super solid? No more rattle? I have the rattling loose lock button on my 5s and haven't gone to the apple store yet to check but suspect that the display ones will have rattle too. I'm suspecting it might be something like the 4 had on release week with the yellow screen spots where the adhesive hadn't had enough time to bond, and the issue went away for everyone after a few days.

I know you already said it stopped rattling but just want to confirm that it's completely gone after about 3 months of ownership.

It's not really a big deal in the first place but if I know it'll go away eventually that would be comforting to know. Or if I go to the store and none of the display ones rattle I'll think about chancing an exchange, but this current phone is perfect aside from the lock rattle so I wanna just avoid the hassle.

Thank you
Razaryel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #23
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razaryel View Post
Sorry to necro this thread but I can't send PMs or I would have just PMd InfinitiG

Did this really happen? The rattle went away after a while and it's now super solid? No more rattle? I have the rattling loose lock button on my 5s and haven't gone to the apple store yet to check but suspect that the display ones will have rattle too. I'm suspecting it might be something like the 4 had on release week with the yellow screen spots where the adhesive hadn't had enough time to bond, and the issue went away for everyone after a few days.

I know you already said it stopped rattling but just want to confirm that it's completely gone after about 3 months of ownership.

It's not really a big deal in the first place but if I know it'll go away eventually that would be comforting to know. Or if I go to the store and none of the display ones rattle I'll think about chancing an exchange, but this current phone is perfect aside from the lock rattle so I wanna just avoid the hassle.

Thank you
Yes, my launch day 5 came with a loose rattling power button, it got stiff after use, no more rattle till this day. If thats your only issue, dont worry about it.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 05:16 AM   #24
Razaryel
macrumors newbie

Greatly appreciate the response InfinitiG. When I went in the other day every single display phone also had this issue (except for one white one, and I checked like 10 phones for the lock buttons). So I know I don't have a lemon, they're almost all like this in the start.

You have given me peace of mind ^_^
Razaryel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 02:35 PM   #25
cvconde
macrumors newbie

Once enough dirt and pocket lint gets in under the power button, it will tighten right up!
cvconde is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone