Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I'm guessing this isnt normal behaviour. I'm also guessing that my "new" phone isnt actually new at all. The box was sealed, but there were air bubbles in the film when I took it out, with dust caught underneath.

I've never encountered this issue before. Whilst I have my details in the phone itself for previous downloads etc, it keeps prompting me for some random person's password to an email address I have never seen before. Some guy named Gomez.

I've also tried resetting and wiping the phone clean, with the same results.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I'm guessing this isnt normal behaviour. I'm also guessing that my "new" phone isnt actually new at all. The box was sealed, but there were air bubbles in the film when I took it out, with dust caught underneath.

I've never encountered this issue before. Whilst I have my details in the phone itself for previous downloads etc, it keeps prompting me for some random person's password to an email address I have never seen before. Some guy named Gomez.

I've also tried resetting and wiping the phone clean, with the same results.

Where did you get it from? That is weird.

Ctg44

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
I've had mine for about a week now and it just asked me to sign into an old account I used to have when I went to download an app. Weird.

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Did you restore your iPhone from a previous back-up?

If so, was that back-up from a phone that was jailbroken and had apps installed from Installous? This would explain the unfamiliar Apple ID as cracked apps from Installous will have a different ID attached.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Mine did the same thing for a couple of days. It actually would give me 2 different email accounts on the pop up.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
I had the same problem where it was asking me to sign in with a couple of friends accounts. To stop this from happening I finally just entered by own Apple ID in place of the other one. After doing that in place of all three login pop-ups it stopped happening.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Mine asked me to sign into an account of my ex gf.

I have some songs ont he phone that she initially bought, guessing thats what it was.

Stuke00

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Collinsville,IL

If so, was that back-up from a phone that was jailbroken and had apps installed from Installous? This would explain the unfamiliar Apple ID as cracked apps from Installous will have a different ID attached.

Or if you have any music on your phone that potentially could have come from someone elses itunes account.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I use iCloud for backups/restores, and some of my iTunes music was purchased by other people. Yes, I know, I'm going to hell.

Anyhow, when I do an iCloud restore, when the phone tries to restore iTunes-purchased music and hits those tracks purchased by other people, it pops up a box showing THEIR Apple ID, asking me for the password.

I have to go into the iTunes app (on the iPhone) and cancel those downloads. or it will continue to pop up that box with their Apple IDs.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011

Or if you have any music on your phone that potentially could have come from someone elses itunes account.

Those are the reasons....

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Where did you get it from? That is weird.

Direct replacement from Apple.

Restored from a previous iPhone 5 backup which was from a fresh setup. I only ever jailbroke the 3GS, before iCloud backups ever existed.

I had one album I think from another iTunes account, but it used a gmail address, and was wiped clean when I used iTunes match.

The address that keeps appearing on my phone appears to be for some kind of public relations manager for a company :confused:

----------

Just to add, this never happened with the previous IP5 restores or iPad restores, and nothing has changed with the backup since then.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
When it pops up just delete the email address and enter your own Apple ID email address and sign in. Shouldn't happen anymore after you do that.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
If it's a replacement phone than Apple must not have done a complete wipe from the previous owner. 1 slips through the cracks every now and then, just reset everything and wipe the phone and you should be fine.

Already done that, twice now, and it still happens unfortunately.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010

Its either in your backup, or iMessage/Facetime was activated on that device for another user.

Toggle both off, wait an hour or so, and toggle them back on.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Oh and again, RE the music from a diff itunes account, that album doesnt exist on my iTunes anymore, and hasnt for some time if I recall.

Whilst I'm no saint, about half of my iTunes library is either ripped from CDs or purchased off iTunes itself, the music I obtain from other "sources" is never in .m4a format, always mp3 then matched and redownloaded.

Yes I'm a bad cookie etc etc, but if I had the money to, I'd buy the rest of my music digitally in a heartbeat, but unfortunately that would cost the equivalent of something like 10 iPhone 16GBs.

----------

Its either in your backup, or iMessage/Facetime was activated on that device for another user.

Toggle both off, wait an hour or so, and toggle them back on.

I'll give it a go now.

Its going back to Apple anyway for other reasons, but this reason alarmed me more than others incase it affects future devices created from the iCloud backup.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Still cant get rid of that annoying email popup.

Gonna have to set it up as a new phone i think. :(

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I would take it back to them. There is no excuse for that even if nothing is truly wrong with it.

Really? Nothing may be wrong with it but you would take it back simply because it could of possibly been anothers? Not one thing wrong except YOUR perceived issue with another person touching it?

Wow... just wow.

How is it unfortunate? Simply X it out and move on with your life.

kthnxshwn

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Really? Nothing may be wrong with it but you would take it back simply because it could of possibly been anothers? Not one thing wrong except YOUR perceived issue with another person touching it?

Wow... just wow.

How is it unfortunate? Simply X it out and move on with your life.

Because it's clearly a software issue that's embedded into the phone, somehow. He's wiped the phone clean, started as fresh and the issue still pertains, of course he'd take it back.

And if you read any of the thread, you'd know he had tried to "x out" but it wasn't doing much of anything except being a temporary remedy.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Because it's clearly a software issue that's embedded into the phone, somehow. He's wiped the phone clean, started as fresh and the issue still pertains, of course he'd take it back.

And if you read any of the thread, you'd know he had tried to "x out" but it wasn't doing much of anything except being a temporary remedy.

This.

Every time I open safari or the app store or even the settings menu it pops up.

Chances are whatever has happened has likely corrupted my iCloud backup as well in the process, so I suppose a new restore would have been necessary anyway.

hachiman

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
Most likely the iPhone has been registered by the previous owner when they initially set it up. If there is a claim on that iPhone, Apple's registration database will show that it belongs to the original registerer. If whoever at Apple was clumsy at cleaning that iPhone, what else would they have missed? In addition, if you were to lose that iPhone and try to claim it, based on the serial or any hardware ID, it still wouldn't belong to you from Apple's database standpoint.

Want to know all the stuff that's been linked to your account? Go here:
https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Take it back to Apple. Better prudent than sorry.

Last edited:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
You should take it back to Apple.

Most likely the iPhone has been registered by the previous owner and if there is a claim on that iPhone, Apple's registration database will show that it belongs to the original owner.

Better safe than sorry.

Want to know all the stuff that's been linked to your account? Go here:
https://daw.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...618204c476572a1b5e5fb3518&path&language=US-EN

Thanks. I've got a collection scheduled anyway for the phone itself to be sent back, and sent various screen caps to Apple support.

Also, it does appear to have affected the backups. I've tested it with an old iPad, and it too is asking for that person's password. I then tried an old backup and it worked perfectly fine.

Like I said earlier though, this iPhone 5 had fingerprints all over the inside and the packaging just didnt look new at all. Fairly certain this was just a customer return that has been resealed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.