Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Personally, as long as it isnt distracting, I'm fine with it.

This, is what I would class as distracting (my 6th rMBP, soon to be returned).

Oh, and its an LG panel, unsurprisingly. The image retention doesnt bother me.

image.jpg

Now imagine running a letterboxed movie through the middle of that mess....

The image may be a little overexposed, but you get the idea.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
That's pretty bad. I just got mine on Monday (Samsung screen) and it's perfect. I'd take it back. These things are too expensive not to be perfect.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
That's pretty bad. I just got mine on Monday (Samsung screen) and it's perfect. I'd take it back. These things are too expensive not to be perfect.

My first 2, dead pixels aside, we're perfect Samsung screens. Then the 3 after were Samsung, but all with yellow or pink tinting to one side of the screen.

Looks like I'm losing the lottery again!

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
In order to answer your question I would say no level of light bleed is acceptable as it is not intended.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
In order to answer your question I would say no level of light bleed is acceptable as it is not intended.

There will always be light bleed, its the limitation of the current LCD technology. The only way to eliminate it is to move to light-emiting pixels (LEDs).

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
There will always be light bleed, its the limitation of the current LCD technology. The only way to eliminate it is to move to light-emiting pixels (LEDs).

I understand that it is present but wouldn't you agree that it's not intended? In other words, I don't believe the anyone said "let's incorporate this much light bleed into the rMBP" as it was being developed.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I understand that it is present but wouldn't you agree that it's not intended? In other words, I don't believe the anyone said "let's incorporate this much light bleed into the rMBP" as it was being developed.

Obviously its not intended :) I was just commenting on your claim that 'no level of bleed is acceptable". All such displays will exhibit light bleed (simply because they are based on a backlight), the question whether it disrupts the user or not. Judging from the OP picture, I'd say that his screen is defective.

sweetbrat

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2009
Redford, MI

Sure, it's not intended. But if you say that the only thing that's acceptable is absolutely no light bleed then you won't be getting a computer at all. All will have some, even if it's small amount. That's why the user has to determine what is acceptable to him/her.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Sure, it's not intended. But if you say that the only thing that's acceptable is absolutely no light bleed then you won't be getting a computer at all. All will have some, even if it's small amount. That's why the user has to determine what is acceptable to him/her.

I suppose it was a bad choice of words.

I realize light bleed is a known, and present factor when looking at a screen. It's "acceptable," I guess, considering it's presence even in a small amount. However, it's still unacceptable in the same way as it's clearly not something that is intended, and is still a negative aspect of the screen.

I also realize that is sort of a contradiction being that I said it's acceptable and then later on unacceptable when it needs to one or the other, but I guess "unacceptable" isn't really the word I am looking for. I suppose "unintended" as I was getting at would better describe my point of view.

Who knows what I am talking about, I sure don't.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
If it annoys you with normal usage, without taking an over-exposed photo, then that's unacceptable :)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
That's unacceptable. Here's mine (Samsung) - no bleeding when I checked it in a dark room either:

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
If it annoys you with normal usage, without taking an over-exposed photo, then that's unacceptable :)

I noticed it when watching a movie, here's a better pic with almost normal exposure levels:

http://s10.postimage.org/653rxw8c9/image_1.jpg

And also an uncompressed one attached to the post.

I obviously doesnt look as extreme, but the pink and yellow areas are still clearly visible, and a nuisance.

The over exposed image actually highlights the recent issue I've been having with the rMBPs. The section on the right side shows the yellowing/pinkish tinting that is visible during normal use of the screen. This was present on my last 3 Samsung screens prior to this.

Either way, a returns request is pending and should be sent back tomorrow for a refund, along with my iPhone 5.

6 iPad 3rd gens, 6 rMBPs, and 3 iP5s returned this year so far :(

Suddenly the dead pixel in my first rMBP, or bent lid on my 2nd, doesnt look so bad anymore...

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 471

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
There is some light bleed there, but some of it is an artifact of A-TW polarizers. A-TW polarizers eliminate the IPS-glow (try looking at any other IPS screen off angle on a dark image, and you'll know what I'm talking about), but the tradeoff is that they have red/green hues visible at the corners when looking dead on. Poor uniformity will exaggerate the effect.

The corners on mine have been faint enough that I haven't noticed it while watching movies.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
There is some light bleed there, but some of it is an artifact of A-TW polarizers. A-TW polarizers eliminate the IPS-glow (try looking at any other IPS screen off angle on a dark image, and you'll know what I'm talking about), but the tradeoff is that they have red/green hues visible at the corners when looking dead on. Poor uniformity will exaggerate the effect.

The corners on mine have been faint enough that I haven't noticed it while watching movies.

I havent had the issue with any of the Samsung displays (aside from the yellow tinting). They were similar to the image posted above.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Personally, as long as it isnt distracting, I'm fine with it.

This, is what I would class as distracting (my 6th rMBP, soon to be returned).

Oh, and its an LG panel, unsurprisingly. The image retention doesnt bother me.

Now imagine running a letterboxed movie through the middle of that mess....

The image may be a little overexposed, but you get the idea.

Something no one mention's but that every LG screen on my retina had is the red tint at the right side of the screen and the green tint at the left side, just as your picture.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I havent had the issue with any of the Samsung displays (aside from the yellow tinting). They were similar to the image posted above.

Any IPS glow off angle? I've never seen an IPS display that doesn't either have the red and green corners or the IPS glow.

Example:

VWSN0l.jpg

LG rMBP left, NEC 2490wuxi middle, NEC 20wmgx2 right. All three displays are IPS. The middle definitely has an "advanced true wide" (a-tw) polarizer, the right definitely doesn't. The LG rMBP I believe does based on this observation. What eliminates that glow is the a-tw polarizer, which has a sided effect of red/green corners

If the Samsung truly has no red/green corners, I suspect it will exhibit some glow like the right most display (not necessarily purple)

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Any IPS glow off angle? I've never seen an IPS display that doesn't either have the red and green corners or the IPS glow.

Example:

LG rMBP left, NEC 2490wuxi middle, NEC 20wmgx2 right. All three displays are IPS. The middle definitely has an "advanced true wide" (a-tw) polarizer, the right definitely doesn't. The LG rMBP I believe does based on this observation. What eliminates that glow is the a-tw polarizer, which has a sided effect of red/green corners

If the Samsung truly has no red/green corners, I suspect it will exhibit some glow like the right most display (not necessarily purple)

Hi, Since you really seem to know your stuff. I noticed every LG has a green tint on the left upper corner of the screen, and a red tint on the right upper corner. Since all LG has this consistently I don't think this is a flaw. It is visible as well on OP's picture on page 1. Is this the (a-tw) polarizer effect?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.