Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reluttr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2010
So I was recently out like 100$ to ship my 27" imac to a certified repair center because the graphics card was totaled. The technician did not specify but my suspicions was that dust was the cause.

So I am wondering, is there any type of snap on dust filter systems for the imac? I am basically thinking of those things they sell for regular box pc's that you put over the vents to prevent dust buildup and can be cleaned every few months. I could had swore I saw something like this on newegg, but cant find a trace of it now.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So I was recently out like 100$ to ship my 27" imac to a certified repair center because the graphics card was totaled. The technician did not specify but my suspicions was that dust was the cause.

So I am wondering, is there any type of snap on dust filter systems for the imac? I am basically thinking of those things they sell for regular box pc's that you put over the vents to prevent dust buildup and can be cleaned every few months. I could had swore I saw something like this on newegg, but cant find a trace of it now.
Unless you routinely work in a dust storm, it's highly unlikely dust is a problem. I opened my 4+ year old MBP recently and found almost no dust inside. If dust was causing an increase in temps, your Mac would automatically shut down if overheating occurred, to prevent damage. Your graphics issue was likely a defect, not the result of dust.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I have seen this filter on Amazon, but it looks like it is out of stock. Maybe in stock elsewhere.

I pulled the screen off a 21.5 iMac I had a couple years and there was quite a lot of dust accumulated on all the fans. So I suppose it is possible this would be detrimental to proper cooling.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
The problem with dust filters is that the more effective they are, the more they reduce airflow. This is compounded when even a thin layer of dust accumulates on the filter. This could have overheating implications for the iMac, which is designed around an unimpeded airflow.

My homebuild desktop PC has front filters, and when a filter is removed, airflow increases noticeably.

If you want some filtering, a strip of fine window screen laid on top of the iMac's bottom grille will trap the larger dust particles without much effect on airflow. Cheesecloth would provide more filtering, but with reduced airflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.