Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

II BISTRO II

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
as title states... ive tried killing all apps.. restarting phone.. if it does deviate it'll only do so by 7-10 minutes

anyone else with this issue on ios6? if so, how did you fix it??

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
try deleting your mail accounts, home+on/off resetting, and then and re-adding them.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah like mentioned try a standard reset first. Which is hold power + home until it goes off (I wait till I see an apple logo).

There is also an app called "Carat" that should tell you if you have a hog/bug app using excessive power. It takes a week or so to get the results though. Even then it might not help you.

Johnnodrums

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2011
IOS 6 usage = standby

I was having major battery drain problems which was my first indicator there was a problem... long story short, I tried every trick I could to fix it! The only thing that stopped the drain was going to airplane mode. Then I noticed I was using lots of data even when on wifi (not good because I am on a pre pay plan).

So I was left with one option restore, set up as new iphone and used my apple id to set up icloud. Wasn't confident it worked because usage/data was still the same and bat was still draining (I think it was still using 3g even though I was on wifi) so I did a DFU restore. Set up icloud again. This time everything was working properly. No battery drain, icloud was syncing through wifi, and usage/standby were different.

I held my breath and restored from backup thinking it would make everything go bad again. Well not the entirely the case, data is being synced through wifi not 3g, so bat life is a little better but still losing about 10% an hour and Standby/usage are the same.

Phone is obviously working when should be on standby. I suspect iCloud, I just need to do more trouble shooting to find out what component is causing it.

iPhone 4s ios 6

Update
I gave it a few more hours and what ever icloud syncing that was taking place has seemed to finish... I recharged and and checked my usage numbers and everything seems to be back to normal, but I will keep monitoring.

Just for future reference here are some things I did. Most didn't fix my problem but it might help someone else:
-Cleaned up my contacts (deleted duplicates on all my macs and phone) I had read that contacts could be crashing when it was trying to sync with icloud.

-stopped off Diagnostic & usage data from sending to apple (had hundreds maybe thousands of awdd crash reports. settings-->General-->about-->Diagnostic & usage.

-Stopped documents in the cloud from syncing over wifi. settings-->icloud-->Documents & data

-Tuned off push for mail and switched it to manual fetch

Did many other tricks for preserving battery ultimately what worked for me was a DFU restore, set up as new iphone (with my icloud account) then restore from backup. I had to wait a little while it did some kind of sync in the back ground but once that was done things went back to normal... for now at least.

Last edited:

Soul.biz

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
REAL SOLUTION!!!!

Dear All,

After going for a couple of weeks with CCCCCRRRAAAPPP Battery life on my IPhone 4 (like 3% an hour with all Apps shut down), after updating to IOS 6 (but I found posts of people having this same issue on IOS 5), and reading through Threads, Forums and Articles on this issue...

Nothing convinced me in a FINAL way!!!

What WORKED is something hidden but simple: go to Settings-->General-->About-->Diagnostic & usage-->Diagnostic & Usage Data. Here look for the latest report on "Low Battery", and if you go into this report, in the Springboard section, you'll find the name of the rogue APP that's sucking your battery life! Once you find this App, delete it and VOILA!

I don't claim to be the only one knowing this, but after going through forums and more forums, came across many "hard reset" and "restore" and "delete email accounts" advice.... Never found this kinda simple advice that would prevent me from loosing all apps, contacts and texts!

Hope this helps all people with this trouble of USAGE=Standby Time!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.