Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KkV2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
So I've had this problem for a while now, where my dock won't let me move the applications in it. I can't drag the applications out, and I can't drag applications in, but I can go into Finder > Applications > *Open Application* and it'll get into my dock. But I can't delete applications from my dock. I tried deleting the applications, *Right Click App* > Options > Assign to: None, deleting the dock file, using terminal's :

defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool false
killall Dock

But nothing works. When i write the terminal script, this appears:

VINCA-imac:~ KKV$ defaults write com.apple.dock contents-immutable -bool false
-bash: /usr/bin/defaults: Permission denied
VINCA-imac:~ KKV$ killall Dock

I also can't.. move the applications into other parts of my dock, they are STUCK. My dock is like everyone else's except all the applications are stuck. Any help?

I also have Parental Controls on my computer (I share it with my family) just incase you need to know.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
It sounds like Parental Controls is working properly. Perhaps you can ask your parents to switch off Parental Controls long enough for you to rearrange your dock, then switch it back on?

I can tell you one bad experience our family had with Parental Controls. Our daughter was determined to get around them so she kept making copies of programs I had restricted and eventually with all her hacking her Mac became unusable and I had to wipe it.

KkV2021

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
It sounds like Parental Controls is working properly. Perhaps you can ask your parents to switch off Parental Controls long enough for you to rearrange your dock, then switch it back on?

I can tell you one bad experience our family had with Parental Controls. Our daughter was determined to get around them so she kept making copies of programs I had restricted and eventually with all her hacking her Mac became unusable and I had to wipe it.

Well I had parental controls before, and my dock was working fine..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.