Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I have the Apple Universal (I guess not so much anymore, haha) Dock and for some reason didn't get rid of it alongside my iPhone 4. If I buy an adaptor and hook my iPhone 5 up, do you think that the Apple Remote would be compatible with it?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I have the Apple Universal (I guess not so much anymore, haha) Dock and for some reason didn't get rid of it alongside my iPhone 4. If I buy an adaptor and hook my iPhone 5 up, do you think that the Apple Remote would be compatible with it?

Honestly, theres no way of anyone knowing at this point. Lightning is still very much a mystery and these adapters are even moreso. Until someone gets hands on and can try all these things, we're just kinda sitting here waiting.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Honestly, theres no way of anyone knowing at this point. Lightning is still very much a mystery and these adapters are even moreso. Until someone gets hands on and can try all these things, we're just kinda sitting here waiting.

Haha, I assumed so. It's the same theory with the iPad, I guess. If you saw off the sides of the dock to fit the iPad you can then test if the remote will work.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Haha, I assumed so. It's the same theory with the iPad, I guess. If you saw off the sides of the dock to fit the iPad you can then test if the remote will work.

There shouldn't be any reason for the iPad to not work; the 30-pin connector will carry the remote signal, its just a matter of connecting the two together (they make dock extension cables on the cheap.) The lightning connector is a different beast, and then adding in a convertor? Theres no telling what will make it and what won't during whatever switching and converting voodoo these things better be doing for $40.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
There shouldn't be any reason for the iPad to not work; the 30-pin connector will carry the remote signal, its just a matter of connecting the two together (they make dock extension cables on the cheap.) The lightning connector is a different beast, and then adding in a convertor? Theres no telling what will make it and what won't during whatever switching and converting voodoo these things better be doing for $40.

I was thinking of just going with the cable-less adapter, but then again I don't know how i feel about my iPhone 5 being propped up by the lightning port.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I was thinking of just going with the cable-less adapter, but then again I don't know how i feel about my iPhone 5 being propped up by the lightning port.

Same here, its why a lot of these third party docks scare me. Most of them seem to follow the idea that the lightning port is enough to fully support the phone, which may be true, but once someone starts pushing and tapping on it, I can't help but feel like its just asking for problems. I know for a fact that when its 5am and my alarm is blaring, I don't gently slide to turn it off, I ham fist the whole thing and usually wake to find my entire speaker dock several inches further away on the nightstand than it was when I went to sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.