Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:11 PM   #1
bradl
macrumors 68020

WestJet Flash Mobs Calgary International Airport

Found this courtesy of FlightAware.

CYYZ. 11:30pm. Full flights. unsuspecting people. Perfect storm for a Flash mob. Well done, WestJet!

Enjoy.

http://devour.com/video/west-jet-christmas-flash-mob/

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

That was pretty funny! Although, I'm not sure why Santa was dressed in blue.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Not sure either, but I thought it was rather apropos to post this since it appears that everyone in the video received a stocking, and one of the presents in it was an iPod Shuffle!

In the US, I could only see SWA, JBU, or VRD doing this.. every other airline would be either a bit too uppity or just not have the right ecosystem to pull something like this off.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:57 PM   #4
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
WestJet Corporate colours....

And, why not? The only reason we think of Santa Claus as being in red and white is because those were the Coca Cola corporate colours way back when Coke used Santa heavily to sell its product. Pushed it so hard, that the majority of North America adopted the Coke Santa in red and white as the its 'official' Santa.

Nicely done, WestJet... eh?
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:52 AM   #5
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Wow. Nicely done. I wonder how they got all that past airport security!

"See, and then we're going to toss fake white snow powder into the air, and... Yeah, we're going to toss it into the air, all over the terminal. Wait, where are you taking me?"
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:09 PM   #6
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
WestJet Corporate colours....

And, why not? The only reason we think of Santa Claus as being in red and white is because those were the Coca Cola corporate colours way back when Coke used Santa heavily to sell its product. Pushed it so hard, that the majority of North America adopted the Coke Santa in red and white as the its 'official' Santa.

Nicely done, WestJet... eh?
Certainly, Coke's Santa helped popularise the red/white image, however other advertisers used a red and white santa before Coke did.

Last edited by Fresh Tendrils; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:34 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils View Post
Certainly, Coke's Santa helped popularise the red/white image, however other advertisers used a red and white santa before Coke did.
Granted... but there were several different colour schemes for Santas pre-Coke. After Coke's campaigns the red & white scheme - specifically the red coat with white trimmings on a jolly fat man - became the uniform. Several years ago I was in Whitehorse (Yukon territory) and was warmly greeted by a Saint Nick based on local traditions. Thin, wearing buckskin boots, and a long fringed multi-coloured coat heavily beaded, and sporting quills.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Fresh Tendrils
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Granted... but there were several different colour schemes for Santas pre-Coke. After Coke's campaigns the red & white scheme - specifically the red coat with white trimmings on a jolly fat man - became the uniform. Several years ago I was in Whitehorse (Yukon territory) and was warmly greeted by a Saint Nick based on local traditions. Thin, wearing buckskin boots, and a long fringed multi-coloured coat heavily beaded, and sporting quills.
ďA standardized Santa Claus appears to New York children. Height, weight, stature are almost exactly standardized, as are the red garments, the hood and the white whiskers. The pack full of toys, ruddy cheeks and nose, bushy eyebrows and a jolly, paunchy effect are also inevitable parts of the requisite make-up." - New York Times 1927 [4 years before Coke started using red/white Santa].

Like I said, Coke helped popularise the image, but red/white had already been used [internationally] in prominent advertising and children's book illustrations for 50 or 60 years when Coke started using it. By the early 20th C [and before Coke started using it] red/white was already the dominant image for Santa.
Fresh Tendrils is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Tags
airport, calgary, flash, mob, westjet