Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areyes163

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
I just received this case in the mail today. I am very impressed to say the least. I was looking for a so called "rugged case" since I got the iPhone 5. I tried the Otterbox Defender and it was huge. Great protection but very large.

I saw case mate offered this cases which claimed it was a slim profile. Well I received it today and can say that is 100% true. This case is made of high quality hard rubber. The top layer slides over the phone with a built in screen protector. Then that slides into the bottom half.

Same protection as the Otterbox defender with half the bulk. I can honesty say I am impressed.

I will try to post photos later when my wife comes home. Only thing I don't like of the case which like the Otterbox there is a small cutout for the top speaker and on the rear over the camera. So dust and dirt can get it unlike their proof case. So unless you are looking for a completely sealed phone this case is almost perfect.

Thought I would pass along my info.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I just received this case in the mail today. I am very impressed to say the least. I was looking for a so called "rugged case" since I got the iPhone 5. I tried the Otterbox Defender and it was huge. Great protection but very large.

I saw case mate offered this cases which claimed it was a slim profile. Well I received it today and can say that is 100% true. This case is made of high quality hard rubber. The top layer slides over the phone with a built in screen protector. Then that slides into the bottom half.

Same protection as the Otterbox defender with half the bulk. I can honesty say I am impressed.

I will try to post photos later when my wife comes home. Only thing I don't like of the case which like the Otterbox there is a small cutout for the top speaker and on the rear over the camera. So dust and dirt can get it unlike their proof case. So unless you are looking for a completely sealed phone this case is almost perfect.

Thought I would pass along my info.

How's it been working for you? I am considering getting the blue one. Just returned the Otterbox defender because the port covers were absolutely impossible to open.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
How's it been working for you? I am considering getting the blue one. Just returned the Otterbox defender because the port covers were absolutely impossible to open.

How exactly was it impossible for you to open the port covers? They were sealed shut? Anybody with functioning fingers should be able to open them. It looks like you would have the same problem with the tough xtreeememzzzz case.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
How exactly was it impossible for you to open the port covers? They were sealed shut? Anybody with functioning fingers should be able to open them. It looks like you would have the same problem with the tough xtreeememzzzz case.

My fingers function just fine. I keep very short nails and trying to get inside the top edge of the port covers is where the problems lies. Previous models allowed me to open easier, but the new design goes inside the ear and sync port. It would be better if there was an external edge on the covers so you don't need to push up the case edge to get hold of the covers. And the mute cover is the worst of the bunch. When seated, its totally flush. The defender does protect very well, just less functional.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.