Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

Galaxy Note II Or Iphone 5 ??

what u guys think i really tempting to note ii
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:22 PM   #2
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

how do you feel about build quality? I personally don't like the feel of the materials used to build the SG3 so i wouldnt get the note 2. and the size is way too much IMO.

Software wise if you want to customize get the note 2. if you dont care and you want simple get the iPhone 5. After 5 years of the iPhone UI i am sick of it. You may be different. Also I find the iP5 even more uncomfortable to hold than my iP4. the samsung products have rounded corners and backs which make them more comfortable to hold IMO. hope that helps.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
I don't think I could ever see myself comfortably using a phone that big. I notice you have a 64GB iPhone. If you got the Galaxy I can assure you that managing your music would be far from an easy task.
- Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz / 4GB ram / 120GB HD / 10.8.4
iParis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

My signature are old lol i have a iphone 5 16gb white but really looking for the note ii

But the rumors like key lime pie or the new nexus devices i am on hold

Last edited by annk; Oct 9, 2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Merged
TheBigKing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:34 PM   #5
iParis
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKing View Post
My signature are old lol i have a iphone 5 16gb white but really looking for the note ii
Why did you do such a huge storage downgrade?

Quote:
But the rumors like key lime pie or the new nexus devices i am on hold
.. Key lime pie?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Tones2
macrumors 65816

If you want a big beautiful screen, expandable micro-SD, replaceable battery, real working micro-USB, and customizable OS, go for the Note 2. If you don't need any of those or are tied in financially to iOS apps / video, then get the iPhone 5.
Tones2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 03:09 PM   #7
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iParis View Post
Why did you do such a huge storage downgrade?

.. Key lime pie?
The new android 4.2
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:57 PM   #8
madden
Banned

Quote:
what u guys think i really tempting to note ii
Two completely different devices. What are your main wants and what will you be doing with the phone? Are you tied to iTunes? I think the answer is quite obvious. If you want a lightweight and compact device that will just be used for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing, its the iphone. If you do more multimedia like games, movies, graphics work etc..the Note would be the better choice.
madden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:01 PM   #9
ITS ME DAVID
macrumors 6502

If your want to carry a plastic brick with you get the note 2
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
bursthead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by madden View Post
Two completely different devices. What are your main wants and what will you be doing with the phone? Are you tied to iTunes? I think the answer is quite obvious. If you want a lightweight and compact device that will just be used for calls, texts, emails and light web browsing, its the iphone. If you do more multimedia like games, movies, graphics work etc..the Note would be the better choice.
anyone tied to itunes can always make the jump by going to google music. I have my music on both services. So it seamless whenever I want to listen to anything whether it be ipad or galaxy note 2.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 01:41 AM   #11
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Did we honestly need another thread, there are plenty already. however as we do...

Go to a store, hold both the Note (because essentially note 2 is going to be same size or thereabouts) and the iPhone 5 in your hand and see which feels more comfortable to you.

I wish stores let you make a call with the device, seems like the most basic thing they could offer. You wouldn't go buy a TV without being allowed to see the picture.

The feeling of a bigger device being held up to your face and the getting the ear piece aligned up so you can hear everything can be finicky as the device gets bigger. May not be a problem if your using a head piece or Bluetooth, but if using a phone traditionally could also be a deal breaker.

As for android v IOS, well I personally think the pros and cons of both have them at an even play field at this current junction.

Jellybean addresses a number of Androids issues over the years, and iOS whilst as rock stable as ever, and on the iPhone 5 it is super quick, feels a little dated but in the same way that a Rolls Royce is reliable and classy, but that flashy Porsche around the corner still is tempting me...

I've personally gone for the One X, the biggest android device I've owned, and one that at times still feel a bit too big, especially when I hold it to my face/ear. I tried the Note but was just out of picture due to the size. Also have the iPhone 5.

For taking photos, texting and more importantly for me making calls I prefer the iPhone 5. Call quality is excellent, and just feels better as a phone. The camera is very good too.

For all the other stuff, messing about and tinkering with the device. Browsing the net etc., the one X beats it.

So I'm sticking with both devices for now...

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Oct 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 02:31 AM   #12
diegoesk
macrumors regular

Quote:
If you got the Galaxy I can assure you that managing your music would be far from an easy task.
I always thought the android phones were like the blackberries (simple drag and drop??)... correct me if IM wrong...

Was thinking of switching to the Galaxy S3 when it comes over to metro PCS.
diegoesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:50 AM   #13
hot spare
macrumors regular

If you want a feature phone, go for iPhone. If you want something smarter, choose wisely.
hot spare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:09 PM   #14
iParis
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by diegoesk View Post
I always thought the android phones were like the blackberries (simple drag and drop??)... correct me if IM wrong...

Was thinking of switching to the Galaxy S3 when it comes over to metro PCS.
That's what I thought for the longest time as well, but then people, including friends, were telling me how much of a pain it is to put music on droids and manage them.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:12 PM   #15
madden
Banned

Quote:
That's what I thought for the longest time as well, but then people, including friends, were telling me how much of a pain it is to put music on droids and manage them.
You drag and drop, simple.
madden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:27 PM   #16
kornberg
macrumors member

I hope the note uses the wolfson Dac like the intl gs3
kornberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:30 PM   #17
charlieegan3
macrumors 68020

I don't own either but am asking myself the same question. I spent around 45mins with each in the 3 store and decided the Note 2 was the one for me, You might be different but for me it was better in every way.
charlieegan3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 03:31 AM   #18
diegoesk
macrumors regular

I regards to android- do the micro sims function like an external HD- where you can drag and drop files?

Can someone confirm? Im hearing different stories
diegoesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 05:57 AM   #19
doomfront
macrumors member

Quote:
I regards to android- do the micro sims function like an external HD- where you can drag and drop files?

yes they do.

Can't wait for the Note 2, going to get a 64gb sd card this time, since I filled up my 16gb so easily.
doomfront is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:59 AM   #20
theluggage
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madden View Post
You drag and drop, simple.
Quote:
Drag-and-drop copying does not work on Macs at the moment - Google's "Android File Transfer" program for Mac is currently broken on some (if not all) Android 4.x phones. Not clear if this is a problem with Android 4.x, Samsung, or OS X, but I can confirm that it doesn't work between my Note 2 and either Lion or Mountain Lion - and my Googling suggests that the problem is universal.

Using 'camera mode' doesn't work either - iPhoto sees the phone but won't transfer files correctly.

Samsung do their own Sync program ('Kies') which sort-of works, but is clunky and tempramental - but it will sync music (sort of).

Older versions of Android supported 'USB Mass Storage Mode' which worked with anything, but in recent versions they've completely replaced this with 'Media Transfer Protocol' which Windows does natively but required the Android File Transfer program on Mac.

The saving graces are:

1. Syncing files over the wire is so last year - there are all sorts of cloud-based options.

2. The Note II takes a Micro-SD memory card which you can physically plug in to a mac via a USB adapter & drag files to it (I haven't tried it yet but I don't think there's any way they could have messed that up).
theluggage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 07:12 PM   #21
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggage View Post
Drag-and-drop copying does not work on Macs at the moment - Google's "Android File Transfer" program for Mac is currently broken on some (if not all) Android 4.x phones. Not clear if this is a problem with Android 4.x, Samsung, or OS X, but I can confirm that it doesn't work between my Note 2 and either Lion or Mountain Lion - and my Googling suggests that the problem is universal.
Yes the Android File Transfer program does not works.

For copying files into the Android device you can use doubltwist or Airdroid. Airdroid works from any browser and you can upload or download files to and from your device over wifi. doubletwist can sync your iTunes library over wifi as well. Videos work too but doubletwist will insist on encoding them even if they already are in the supported format (mp4) and thus takes too long to copy them. I personally use Airdroid most of the time.

I think the best option for syncing music is Google Play Music. It syncs your iTunes library with playlist, podcasts and all. Once you do the hard initial work of uploading all your music (which takes quite a long time to say the least), it is really great.

While it is currently only available within the US, it can be made to work outside the US too with some trickery .
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 08:39 PM   #22
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

If my Android phone needed to be replaced today, my choice would be Note 2 all the way. I've seen the iPhone 5, played with it, not impressed.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:33 AM   #23
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Well i have just bought a note 2 after 4 1/2 years of iphone. I still think osx is miles ahead of windows (for my uses) and i love my new ipad but after all these years i am just bored with the iphone(ui mainly) and want change. The note 2 looks like a beast and all user reviews from owners are that at first you look at it and you think its huge, after a while of usage you couldnt go back. So here goes.. I pick it up 2moro
nick_elt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:47 AM   #24
kicko
macrumors 65816

these are 2 very different devices. I say if you like android OS, dont mind the size, i say get the note 2. The iphone remains mostly unchanged so we already know what that has to offer.

I went with a S3 becuase i felt the note was too big and i like pocket phones.
kicko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:43 PM   #25
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

Depends of what you want and need. My wife just got an iPhone 5 2 weeks ago and she's returning it today to get the Note 2. After many years with iOS she just got bored.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices