Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_black_front-150x282.jpg
China Labor Watch reports (via Gizmodo) that thousands of Foxconn workers responsible for assembly of the iPhone 5 have gone on strike today, objecting to strict enforcement of increased quality control standards.
China Labor Watch (CLW) announced that at 1:00PM on October 5 (Beijing time), a strike occurred at Foxconn's Zhengzhou factory that, according to workers, involved three to four thousand production workers. In addition to demanding that workers work during the holiday, Foxconn raised overly strict demands on product quality without providing worker training for the corresponding skills. This led to workers turning out products that did not meet standards and ultimately put a tremendous amount of pressure on workers.
According to the report, Apple and Foxconn had raised quality control standards to address issues related to scratching and other blemishes on the iPhone 5 casing, but the new standards made it extremely difficult for workers to produce phones satisfying those requirements given the equipment and training available to them.

The issues have reportedly resulted in significant tensions between production line workers and quality control supervisors, with several skirmishes having broken out in recent days resulting in injuries and damage to production facilities. In addition, Foxconn reportedly eliminated holiday vacations for workers, perhaps referring to last weekend's Moon Festival, and the company has reportedly "turned a deaf ear" to worker complaints.

Apple and Foxconn have been struggling to keep up with demand for the iPhone 5, with new online orders through Apple still being quoted 3-4 week shipping estimates. Customers have also been complaining about scratching issues, particularly on the black model, with some customers reporting that their devices have arrived scratched right out of the box.

Article Link: Foxconn Workers Reportedly Strike over iPhone 5 Quality Control Demands

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
So i take it the workers do not get paid the full amount if the quality standard is not maintained?...

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Forget the fact that this deals with the iPhone; this feels like we're possibly witnessing labor strikes in China. If this is a part of a worker's rights revolution, this could lead to a huge moment in history!

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
We take our devices way too seriously. The Foxconn employees are not useless, lazy slobs. Lemons are commonplace in every market, and honestly- a few tiny scuffs are NOT A BIG DEAL. These are fellow human beings we are talking about.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Curse those workers get back to work i want my iphone5 quick.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
You'd think with all the innovation that goes into smartphones these days, the manufacturing process could be a tad more automated.

I mean really, why do we still need people assembling these things?

//Yes I understand it's a large resource for employment, but clearly working conditions aren't particularly humane.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i pitty and honestly feel bad for those people. i worked 4 weeks at a factory once and i just wanted to blow my head off.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
Forget the fact that this deals with the iPhone; this feels like we're possibly witnessing labor strikes in China. If this is a part of a worker's rights revolution, this could lead to a huge moment in history!

Huge moment = when China's economy is ruined by unions.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
You'd think with all the innovation that goes into smartphones these days, the manufacturing process could be a tad more automated.

//Yes I understand it's a large resource for employment, but clearly working conditions aren't particularly humane.

Robots do not work well for things requiring connectors and tight tolerances and really people do need the jobs...

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Bring those jobs back to America, Apple. Put the people to work here who buy your products. We have a saying here, in America we have no art...we do everything as well as we can.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC

That's largely what we've done with manufacturing in the US and all you hear about is China taking out jobs (IE manufacturing output in the US is at a near all time high but is employing fewer people)....

Anyways I've been suspect that a lot of these supposed scratches were purposely put by employees as a form of protest.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Bring those jobs back to America, Apple. Put the people to work here who buy your products. We have a saying here, in America we have no art...we do everything as well as we can.

LOL Maybe 5% of the population lives to that saying... Most of us in America are lazy. I work 60 hours a week for my job and a majority of my friends/family/co-workers start bitching once they hit 30 hours. :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.