Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Originally posted by dukestreet
I wonder if Apple will get in the game?

I hope so.
They just lowered the price of the laptops and the iMac, the only things left are the eMac, Powermac and the iPod and I wouldn't be suprised if they lowered those three a bit.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Probably will be the Christmas rebate system an no real price war for Apple.

Who they gonna compete against for Mac sales, the cloner market?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
well, its been brought up before, keep the classic iMac around for one more go - but the problem with that is that it needs to have a faster processor. The PC with the 1.7 GHz Celeron is not too shabby - its a tough one. Hell, I'm even tempted to get something like that so I have a PC around so that I can test compatibility of web/movie/animation stuff. And with Lightwave I could buy a three of those and network them to create a little render farm for ¢heep!

D

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by edvniow

I hope so.
They just lowered the price of the laptops and the iMac, the only things left are the eMac, Powermac and the iPod and I wouldn't be suprised if they lowered those three a bit.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
emac has been lowered. it was lowered when they added a superdrive. but i do expect the emac to lower again, not sure. emac hast been selling to well, specially at our store. people who look at the imac just spit out the extra money amd get the flat panel. people werent to happy with the emacs when the first came out anyways. about half the ones we sold came back broken, same problem everytime. logicboard problems. first people to acknowledge the problem got their emac fixed real quick. more and more people kept having the problem and then the logicboards became on backorder. i think apple has fixed the problem though, everyone has been satisified with every emac we have sold.

iJon

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: PC Price wars!

I wonder if Apple will get in the game?

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/ptech/11/20/cheap.pcs.ap/index.html

EMachines is promoting a system with a 1.7 gigahertz Intel Celeron processor and a 40 gigabyte hard drive for $399, no monitor or CD-burner included.

That's damn cheap!!

I think the old iMac would be very competitive to this machine if it were priced around $600 with a 800MHz G3 in it. It would be very competitive in speed at least.

I wish Apple would bring back the LCs. Basically an iMac with no monitor. Price that at $399 with a 800MHz G3 and you have a winner.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
That's not such a good price for an eMachine w/ no CD-burner. I built a system awhile ago that would blow that system away for ~$400. 48x CD-R/W. And I don't even get a bulk dicount. Plus it's an eMachine. I dunno, those WalMart PCs seem to be pretty talked about, wonder if they're selling?

On the other issue - yeah, I'd love to see a cheaper Mac. Headless ~1 GHz G3 (no Apple computer should have a FSB less than 133 MHz), 40+ GB, 32 MB VC, 256 MB SDRam (no Apple computer should have less than 256 MB), a couple of slots, etc. Easy to upgrade.

Be nice, but it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: PC Price wars!

Originally posted by MacBandit
I wish Apple would bring back the LCs. Basically an iMac with no monitor. Price that at $399 with a 800MHz G3 and you have a winner.

The only problem with that is you're going to compete against the 'philosophical' marketing scheme that Apple has set up - why introduce an expandible low end when the all in one low end is what they're pushing.

I'd love to see it though.

D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Re: PC Price wars!

The only problem with that is you're going to compete against the 'philosophical' marketing scheme that Apple has set up - why introduce an expandible low end when the all in one low end is what they're pushing.

I'd love to see it though.

D

The LCs were not expandable and I do not think it is necessary to be expandable besides memory and hard drive on a bottom line PC like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.