Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vea1083

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
About 3 days ago I reinstalled OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 in my MacBook Pro after having some issue with my previous installation of OS X which was installed when Mountain Lion was released in July and was upgraded to 10.8.1 and then 10.8.2 via Software Update (Mac App Store) and Combo Update, respectively.

In order to preserve time and bandwidth, I decided to re-download the updated 10.8.2 full installer from the Mac App Store and restored the installer's InstallESD.dmg file into a USB stick that originally had the original OS X 10.8 installer (12A269) that was released on July 25.

Since reinstalling OS X 10.8.2 cleanly with the new Mac App Store installer I have been experiencing the following 2 issues:
  1. Slow Shutdown Times - Originally the reason on why I wanted to reinstall OS X Mountain Lion becuase I thought this issue was due to some old conflicting file with the new version of the OS. Hence, I downloaded the new installer so that the computer would have the newest and freshes files available thus avioding conflicts old installation files.
  2. Cursor freezing issue - I've been experiencing this new issue since using the new OS X 10.8.2 full installer from the Mac App Store. This is more of a new issue because it had never happened to me in the previous installation of OSX, even after upgrading to OS X 10.8.2 with the Combo Update. This is by far the most important issue I wish to fix.

Issue #2 is the one that is driving me to insanity :mad: because the computer simply becomes completely unresponsive. The way this problem shows is that the cursor freezes and there's no way to recover the computer from the freeze other than rebooting the computer by holding the power button. Even trying the control-option-power button restart combination does not seem to yield any effects when the computer is frozen, although this same command works fine if you do it when the computer is not frozen. This issue has happened to me two times already and only after using the updated OS X 10.8.2 installer from the Mac App Store. I don't know whether this issue is being caused by a graphics bug because when I check in console there's no indication about it. The only thing that I can say for sure about this freezing cursor issue is that is not related to an specific application because the first time it happened to me, I was looking in System Information and the second time was when using Safari this afternoon. The only common denominator on the two instances where this issue has occurred is that the system freezes within the first five minutes after logging in. After experiencing this issue for the second time I did another clean install (by zeroing out the disk) of OS X Mountain Lion but immediately after setting up my user account I ran software update to install the OS X supplemental update that was released yesterday.

I was wondering if someone could help me with any suggestions or if there's a possibility that my copy of the OS X 10.8.2 installer is damaged. I can only say that I have repaired the disk, permissions, and reset my system's SMC and PRAM+NVRAM to see if that alleviated the issue but to no avail.

Thanks for your time.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
.2 update

The .2 update is creating havoc for all kinds of people. If you are luck enough
to have a clean 10.8 install that and STOP WITH ANYMORE UPDATES.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
The .2 update is creating havoc for all kinds of people. If you are luck enough
to have a clean 10.8 install that and STOP WITH ANYMORE UPDATES.

Palm is right. I have the same problem with the occasional freeze where the mouse locks up. Though I haven't seen it happen in the past week. If I remember correctly it was only happening to me when I was running on battery power and I was waking my machine up from sleep.

I installed ML on top of Lion with my retina Macbook Pro and I was debating doing a clean install but from what I have seen here I dont think it would help me either.

egnelson

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
10.8.2 Freezing

I have had the exact same problem... However, its happening to me every day. I believe I can trace it back to either disconnecting power while the computer is on and re-connecting the power. Typically, I work from a desk at home with my power cord plugged in, but I want to move to a new location, I typically just disconnect power and walk my computer to the new location. By the time I get to the new location, my computer has froze. The opposite is happening as well. If I reboot with power disconnected and walk my computer back to my desk, plug power back in, my computer will freeze. I know that it is happening after reconnecting and not while I'm walking because I have been testing this scenario by moving my mouse while walking around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.