Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gabeking

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
So I easily made an adhoc sharing network with my windows 7 laptop that is letting me connect my iphone and xbox to wifi easily through my windows wired ethernet connection in my room and now my friend has a macbook pro with mountain lion os x and he is trying do the same with a wired usb ethernet connection but it keeps showing this error in his room (we're in the same building)

ScreenShot2012-10-03at85037PM.png

(only encryption type shown is WPA2 personal btw, no WEP available)

i've tried everything from restarting it to trying the stuff in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWsv24PrtmA) but no matter what i do i seem to keep getting that same error and theres no wifi showing up on any other devices like there was with my windows laptop in my room so if anyone knows a fix to this solution and is willing to help i'd extremely appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
802.1X is a form of network authentication, not WiFi encryption. Some schools use this to only allow authorized computers to connect to their network. Mac OS X properly follows the protocol and doesn't allow sharing of a 802.1X connection. Windows 7 doesn't and can be used as a form of unauthorized entry and a breach of security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.