Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:17 PM   #126
huschpuscheli
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecluee View Post
Has anyone tried the following home button stickers with the GLAS.tR?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-3pcs-M...item2323d318db

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110956319804
interesting. but i thought the home button of the 5 was smaller than all others?!
huschpuscheli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:35 PM   #127
robotphood
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by huschpuscheli View Post
interesting. but i thought the home button of the 5 was smaller than all others?!
Looks the same size to me. Those buttons look thick though. Also looks like it may be a little wider than the button itself?
robotphood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:50 PM   #128
Nhwhazup
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koebot View Post
What made you switch? I have a Pure now but may go with the GLAS.tR for it's oleophobic properties.
I think the Pure is just a better glass protector overall:

1. Seems thinner than the Glas.T.R
2. Less recess for the home button
3. More flexible and more forgiving on the installation
4. Great feel and more smudge proof
5. I actually prefer the straight edge rather than the beveled edge
Nhwhazup is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:20 AM   #129
autofree
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Close up pics

Picked this up from a local retailer over the weekend. Just wanted to share some pics.

Overall, a great screen protector at a premium price (I did get a slight discount). Feels great when swiping and looks razor sharp. It's thick, but provides protection.

The area around the opening for the phone speakers didn't adhere well though. I will contact them about it.









And someone had asked what it looked like in an Incipio OVRMLD case. Here it is.
autofree is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #130
flamingoezz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
I did. I had a couple pieces at first, even after taking all precautions to prevent it. I even used compressed air to make sure everything would be lint free. After seeing the lint, i lifted the glas.t from the corner with my fingernail very slowly and i used blue painter's tape to lift the lint off of it. After reapplying the glas.t, everything was perfect and I couldn't be happier.
i lifted a corner up with my fingernail and the edge won't adhere completely now...it looks like the back adhesive is like a clear film, and it got a little wrinkled (for lack of a better word). anyone have that issue? think i could lift it again and smooth it out so the edge will not remain pulled up?
flamingoezz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:07 PM   #131
gobluejd
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NW Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.
Huh?
gobluejd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:06 PM   #132
LittleGwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.
That makes no sense. That's the same as saying you're putting scratches on the screen to protect it from scratches.
LittleGwen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:33 AM   #133
RaidersFan223
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofree View Post
And someone had asked what it looked like in an Incipio OVRMLD case. Here it is.
Image
How is the fit with the Ovrmld? I think I want that case with this screen protector.

Thanks!
RaidersFan223 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:03 AM   #134
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofree View Post
Picked this up from a local retailer over the weekend. Just wanted to share some pics.

Overall, a great screen protector at a premium price (I did get a slight discount). Feels great when swiping and looks razor sharp. It's thick, but provides protection.

The area around the opening for the phone speakers didn't adhere well though. I will contact them about it.
Take off your band and put something heavy over the glass. Leave it overnight.
ZipZap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:33 PM   #135
TheBigKing
macrumors 6502a
 
TheBigKing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: PR
what it's the best method to install it if i put the home sticker i can put line in ??? perfect install
__________________
i iPhone 5s 32GB Silver , Macbook Pro 13, 8GB Ram 500 GB HD
TheBigKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:35 PM   #136
ThunderApple
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by autofree View Post
Picked this up from a local retailer over the weekend. Just wanted to share some pics.
What retail store did you go too?
ThunderApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:55 PM   #137
floss
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?
floss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:59 PM   #138
AFDoc
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
I'll never understand why someone would buy a glass screen protector.
Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxshwn View Post
You are protecting glass by covering it with glass. Not nearly as durable as any of the crystal clear protectors on the market. It's about as dumb as putting water on your car to protect it from rain as opposed to using wax.
You obviously have never felt/used the glass T/Pure. If you had then you would know why we buy it. Your analogy is dumb and makes no sense.
AFDoc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:50 PM   #139
LittleGwen
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floss View Post
I'm about ready to install this thing tomorrow, this is my 2nd attempt. My 1st didn't go so well as I ended up with multiple dust specks under the protector and after several re-applications, the adhesive side weakened. I took all the necessary precautions: steamy bathroom, lint-free cloth wipe down and air compressor to the screen, but somehow that didn't help. Extremely frustrating. So i'm guessing I should use a lint roller this time.

Just to be certain, I need to apply the lint roller against both the iPhone screen and the adhesive side of the Pure right before I set it down? This doesn't leave any residue on the iPhone screen and it doesn't affect the adhesive on the Pure?
Are you talking about the Spigen's GLAS.tR or Bodyguardz Pure? just a tad confused since this is a glas.tr thread.. so the pure is reusable?
LittleGwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:55 PM   #140
maniacphoner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
He's saying they didn't acknowledge the flaws in the first version and instead, release a new version while still selling the old flawed version.
I didn't see any flaws in the first version although I did hear some mixed reviews. I have heard plenty of complaints about the bubble issues from the installation.
maniacphoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:28 PM   #141
floss
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleGwen View Post
Are you talking about the Spigen's GLAS.tR or Bodyguardz Pure? just a tad confused since this is a glas.tr thread.. so the pure is reusable?
Sorry I forgot to edit my post. My question applies to both glass protectors since they're nearly the same. People have said that the Pure can be reapplied if the first shot doesn't go so well. I have found my experience to be consistent with that theory, I managed to re-apply about 3-4 times before I had to throw it away.
floss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:05 PM   #142
tmgarvey
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Jersey
I removed/reapplied the Glas.tr 4-5 times because I kept getting tiny specks of dust under the glass. I finally managed a 99.9999 percent perfect install. My guess is that the adhesive is a tiny bit weaker than it would have been if I had not removed it so many times, but frankly, it seems just fine for now. I have an extra that I bought, just in case, and I will hold onto it in the event I have a problem in the future. But for right now, I'm totally loving it.
tmgarvey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:35 AM   #143
floss
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Alright so I managed to get it nearly perfect, alignment is 100% but I have a single speck of dust near the top speaker. Unfortunately, I have OCD and it's really bothering me. Anybody know of a method to lift the glass screen protector up by the edge? I can't use my fingernail because that's how I screwed up the last glass protector...I ended up scraping the corner edge and the adhesive permanently weakened. I tried using a piece of painter's tape but it's too weak and it won't budge. I just want to lift it up slightly and quickly slip in a piece of tape to remove the piece of dust. Is this even a good idea or should I just bite the bullet and let it be?
floss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 AM   #144
ZipZap
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Try Duct Tape.

I want to know how a lint roller does not ruin the adhesive?

You all are just rolling it over? Doesn't it make it worse?
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:02 AM   #145
floss
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Try Duct Tape.

I want to know how a lint roller does not ruin the adhesive?

You all are just rolling it over? Doesn't it make it worse?
Duct tape doesn't seem to work either.

I used a sheet of scotch lint remover across the entire iPhone screen but I didn't bother to use it on the adhesive side of the screen protector. I was apprehensive at first that it was gonna leave some residue but it didn't. Worked well at removing lint and dust but 1 managed to sneak in by the edge during my application.
floss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:09 AM   #146
iproductsuser
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
For the pricetag, Spigen really should include an installation tray like some others have.
iproductsuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:01 PM   #147
kosm0
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
I wonder, could you use a case like the Speck Fabshell, which covers the margins of the screen by some millimeters, install that first, and afterwards install the GLAS.t'R', so that the case would serve as a help when aligning? Since the sides of the iPhone screen that are covered by the case are a little elevated, the GLAS.t'R' would only lie plain on the screen when it's in the right position. Hope you understand what I'm talking about.
kosm0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:03 AM   #148
MarkCooz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosm0 View Post
I wonder, could you use a case like the Speck Fabshell, which covers the margins of the screen by some millimeters, install that first, and afterwards install the GLAS.t'R', so that the case would serve as a help when aligning? Since the sides of the iPhone screen that are covered by the case are a little elevated, the GLAS.t'R' would only lie plain on the screen when it's in the right position. Hope you understand what I'm talking about.
I used the GLAS.t and GLAS.tR with a few cases. I know they work for the Amazon Bumper, Candyshell fab and grip, poetic atmosphere.

I found a good video on YouTube i believe title is "Spigen SGP GLAS.t - iPhone 5" Shows the GLAS.t and the GLAS.tR
honestly looks the same?
__________________
rMBP 15" 2.7GHz i7/512GB SSD/16GB RAM |
MarkCooz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 AM   #149
floss
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosm0 View Post
I wonder, could you use a case like the Speck Fabshell, which covers the margins of the screen by some millimeters, install that first, and afterwards install the GLAS.t'R', so that the case would serve as a help when aligning? Since the sides of the iPhone screen that are covered by the case are a little elevated, the GLAS.t'R' would only lie plain on the screen when it's in the right position. Hope you understand what I'm talking about.
One good thing about installing these glass protectors is that it's extremely easy to align since it's a solid mass. Also, once you lay it on the iPhone, you can adjust it around to perfection before you press it down onto the screen.
floss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #150
sbojevets
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Australia
how thick is the glass?
sbojevets is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 + Otterbox Defender + Spigen SGP Glas.t - built-in screen protector iamthekiller iPhone Accessories 75 Aug 26, 2013 05:38 PM
Review: Spigen SGP GLAS.t Screen Protector New iPad agallowa iPad Accessories 17 Oct 1, 2012 12:07 PM
SGP Ultra Crystal vs GLAS.t - which screen protector? Jamesesesesess iPhone 8 Sep 22, 2012 09:33 PM
Spigen sgp iPhone 5 screen protector robbie12345 iPhone Accessories 2 Aug 17, 2012 12:56 PM
SGP glas.t glass screen protector. Slight imprefection at the edges? hajime iPhone Accessories 1 Jun 28, 2012 05:45 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC