Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 6, 2012, 01:50 AM   #1
towg
macrumors regular

Barebones JB on S3?

After having tried out two S3s (both returned after faults) and a Nexus for a day (which was returned for another S3) I cant understand why Samsung dont issue a proper bare bones version of Jellybean for those who dont want Touchwiz.

I loved the UI of JB on the Nexus but missed the processing power of the S3. It seems to me that if I could run basic Jellybean on the S3 it would be an unbeatable combination. Was very impressed by the overall look of the menus compared to the slightly 'Fisher Price' feel of Touchwiz.

What does everyone else think?
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2
smacman
macrumors 6502

I couldn't agree more. I've never understood why the likes of Samsung, HTC, and Motorola continue to punish customers with their crapware skins. I wish they'd at least make it optional. This may be the reason I leave the Android platform soon.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 02:55 AM   #3
atticus27
macrumors regular

you can root and install a custom Rom with stock android on it. It takes about 5 minutes to root if you search for a tutorial on youtube. It's annoying that you have to do that, but stock android looks a lot nicer than touch wiz.
I think touch wiz is more "user friendly" and has the UI of iOS to attract average users over.
or you can wait until november when the new nexus phone is supposed to be released.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Oohara
macrumors 65816

Rumors have it the next version of Android will feature a "customization center" where manufacturer UIs can be easily discarded for stock Android. This would supposedly also allow for Android OS updates regardless of whether the manufacturers have updated their UIs or not, if the custom UI of your manufacturer isn't updated yet, you just get reverted back to the stock UI when you update - no more of this stupid waiting for updates.
Oohara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 03:42 AM   #5
towg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus27 View Post
you can root and install a custom Rom with stock android on it. It takes about 5 minutes to root if you search for a tutorial on youtube. It's annoying that you have to do that, but stock android looks a lot nicer than touch wiz.
I think touch wiz is more "user friendly" and has the UI of iOS to attract average users over.
or you can wait until november when the new nexus phone is supposed to be released.
Yep Ive tried Cyanogen and it looks great and is really responsive. However I dont like the idea that I have to void the warranty to do it. Its a bit of a risk to the phone as Ive done it and had issues when I flashed the stock ROM afterwards.

The way I see it is that it wouldnt do Samsung any harm to offer both Touchwiz and stock Jellybean as options. I'm sure there are company politics involved though...
towg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:35 AM   #6
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
My friend installed a "SuperNexus" ROM onto his GS3, It's available from XDA. It's pure Jellybean. The ROM is also so focused on removing "bloat" that it doesnt even come with Chrome, Google Maps etc. But you can download them from the Play Store.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices