Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mainca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
You may want to read this if you are thinking about switching from an iPhone 5 to S3. I've been reading all your post's for many years and learned tons here. Thanks to those of you that have posted something useful. This is my 2 cents for anyone who wants to really know what life is like on the other side!
Like many of us here, I've been buying up Apple devices for quite some time, my first experience was a Titanium Macbook Pro, I never looked back from that day, until now!
My Att contract is over so "naturally" I decided to upgrade to the new iPhone 5. Well, unfortunately this time around wasn't a typical "Apple Experience" for me. My iPhone 5 (ordered from Att site) was shipped damaged directly from China. Looked at 9 other phones at two Apple store locations, only one was acceptable. Now that phone replacement had network issues :mad:, so I decided maybe this is the time. I've been frustrated with Apple's mediocre email app for ever (can't attach files, can't even bold text... My bad, yes you can bold and attach photo or video only), lack of customization, same 'ol iOS look and feel since day one. But, it's Apple and this would be a huge step for me because I'm a small business owner and EVERYTHING and ANYTHING Digital I do has been part of the Apple Ecosystem.
A good friend of mine who has made the switch to Droid awhile back has been extremely happy with his decision and talked me into at least trying it out. So, I figured what better time, I can try it for 30 days, if I don't like it big deal, I lose a whopping $35 restocking fee!
So I decided to get the most technologically advanced android I could find that meets my business needs, I was pointed towards the Galaxy S3.

I return home with my brand new phone, show it to my adorable Asian girlfriend, she looks excited, oh oh, that's not an iPhone? "But I have an iPhone" she pleads! Yes, this I'm thinking is going to be very hard, I plead back, "I have to give this a try, after all I use this for business purposes 90% of the time and I have to do what's best for my business babe". My heart just sank, I felt like I inadvertently cheated on her, it was weird, like some sort of Geek Cheat thing, Geating perhaps?

First impression, WOW, this thing has everything, stuff I didn't even know phones could have! There is so much crammed into this phone it's amazing how it all fits in its sleek and thin footprint. I was really impressed especially that first night (not impressed with the plastic), the screen is huge, great for reading emails on the run (don't text and drive ;)), camera was great and it takes pictures that many would/do prefer, more colorful (not as bright though). It connects to your mac like a hard drive, really cool, you can do this many ways. Wifi, USB and even Bluetooth. And you see all your files on the phone and can create files like you do for your computer! Makes sense to me? Maps? Awesome. Customization? That was simply crazy, the stuff you can do to customize your phone is insane... I think I'll love all these options for my small business.... could this be? Has Google and Samsung beat Apple in their own game?
Well, so the real life test begins. Monday comes along, I have meetings to get to (I live and work in Redondo Beach, Los Angeles), emails, texts, voip'ing (I use a voip for business calls so it looks like I'm calling from my office) you name it...
First thing off the bat: The screen practically disappeared on me in this sunny LA weather, ouch! So I max out the brightness, FAIL, Not a good start! I start up google Maps/Navigation, working great as expected! I make a VOIP call for the first time, it takes me 3 steps because apparently when you install an app on an Android it will now show up as an option when you make a call. So if you have Skype, Viber, Google Voice, Business VOIP that's going to be very taxing on making calls, maybe there's an option to change it? Didn't find it....., so, I'm driving while on a VOIP call with HEADPHONES on, I hear a beep coming from my speaker, weird, that's a text that just came in! Why in the world would it bypass my headphones? Not good when you are in a quite room with your significant other trying to sleep right next to you. Google navigation got me there ok, time to leave to the next appointment, maps is searching, searching & searching for this next address, I close the app start over again. Same deal, hell, it got me here but now I can't get it to work to get me to another appointment? At least I was able to navigate out of the area since I could see the map but Navigation is out! Luckily I know where the next appointment is so I made it in time.
So half day is gone, it's about noon, battery is scary low.... no problem, I bought one of those $80 cases that have a battery in it, I was warned ahead of time and losing juice isn't an option for me. This device will drain fast in real world applications, trust me!
Time to reply to emails while I'm eating at Gene Simmons new Beer haven in El Segundo, why not? I was right around the block... Samsung has two ways to input, Swipe and regular keyboard. Swipe is pretty handy with one finger use, I could see getting pretty efficient at this. Copy/Paste was weird if you are coming from an iPhone, not saying it's worse, just takes getting use to, a lot use to... Even when you want to place the curser in between letters to fix spelling, it's all different, of course it is! It took me forever to get that first email...man that was painful, but I did get better over time.

So I get home, my girlfriend is upset at me because I didn't respond to most of her "important" texts.... Well, I just assumed if I get a text that it will show up on my lock screen, like an iPhone? hey, Sometimes I can't hear texts coming in when I got Classic Van Halen Blasted in the background! Now that's Rockin Roll Kids... take a look here! WRONG, not even possible! You need to check your notifications screen or download an app that will at least pop the message on your home screen, but not your lock screen. Big Ouch!:eek:

So I call my buddy that had talked me into this in the first place, he's attempting to help me navigate where to go to change settings etc.... guess what, 50% or more of these settings weren't even there, he had the model before me the S2 and guess what? They changed the features so much that my buddy was confused to !#$@ so I kindly hung up and figured.... I'm on my own.

OK, what a day, time to relax and sip a beer and listen to my favorite music app MOG! I knew I was going to lose my Airplay function but I wasn't prepared to lose the everything function? This app barely works on a Droid! I'm paying $10 a month to listen to nothing? $!?... So I cancel MOG, now I'm getting annoyed!

Lets then download music to this thing, great idea? Don't even think about it, compared to iTunes with an iPhone this isn't in the same league.
So I figured, maybe I just have to sit here and study that manual, watch the video's on Samsungs site (which could use a refresh of its own), what else do I have to do, not like I'm busy, it's 11:30 pm and its quiet, now I can really concentrate on this task.

It's been 5 days and I already came to a conclusion about this phone and the Android OS (Ice Cream). This whole experience was basically what I remember Windows was and it is a STARK reminder why I left that platform in the first place. There's a whole lot of fat here everyone, lots and lots of fat. A lot of this fat can be useful, you'll probably need it when you haven't eaten for two weeks but only if its eatable! Meaning, it's a bit buggy and not nearly as refined, operating it, moving from one task to another seemed a bit laggy to me compared to an iPhone 5 especially..... I got at least two strange error's, and something like three crashes from the apps in a 5 day period. I'm comparing this to my iPhone 4 that has only crashed two times in the two years I've owned it.
Yes, you can configure to the end of day with this but there's no structure here! The last OS (Jelly Bean?) was so different that an experienced Android user couldn't help me with most of the basic features of the OS.

My digital world revolves around Apple, I'm a bit disappointed with their progress but I'm convinced that the iPhone 5 is far superior in so many "Other" ways, the "IMPORT OTHER" is the key here.

iPhone, Good = Designed for the everyday person, Reliability, Simplicity, Unmatched Design/Build, Battery Life, Screen (looks great outdoors in a sunny day), Zippy/Fast Responsiveness, comfortable to use with one hand (left hand in particular), iCloud backup and additional features, Apple Customer Support has ALWAYS been insanely great, Apple Stores, Update, add "Do Not Disturb" function, this is a big deal for me

iPhone Bad: Lack of customization, Email not designed for real business people (we need to be able to attach files from the client), forced integration due to closed system

S3, Good= Top of the line technology, Tinker Heaven for the Geek within us all (customization) I would def recommend to my network engineer brother, Camera (many would argue this), Email, USB connection/Charge (maybe a plus for the moment, who doesn't have usb connectors laying around?)

S3, Bad= Just Added 10/7 ....Updating/Fragmentation see this post because that's a subject on its own, Music Player, Not as stable as iPhone, Huge Learning Curve (don't recommend this to the untechy type, that covers about 90% of us?), Battery life, build quality is plastic, Sometimes you'll need to install a plug-in to install an App to work properly that's just weird, Very Window's Like Experience.

My recommendation? If you are coming from the iPhone, stick to Apple, if you aren't then you'll know no better and Android will be the best thing next to Sliced Bread. It's apparent to me that Android and Samsung and the rest can't match Apple's design and overall feel and intuitiveness, so they draw out all the big guns at once and keep shooting and shooting until they hit something eventually. So typical of Google especially wouldn't most of you agree? (I'm sure there are some that don't) I love Google services, well maybe 10-20% of them work great, that's exactly what this phone is, a representation of exactly that! With Apple and those of us in this ecosystem, we love about 90% of everything they do. So, give it a try, if you don't have a contract with your phone provider, chances are you will come to this exact conclusion.

I hope some of you enjoyed! For those of you that need to bash this post, $%@! :D OFF!

Now that was a long post, THE END......

Last edited:

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Excellent post.

That will help everyone who are in the market for a new smartphone. :)

ste1164

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2009
Great look. Only this is, that the message notifications should show on the lockscreen :eek: they did when I had a SGS3.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
Nice writeup =)

Personally the only android phone I would consider would be a nexus device. I can't effing stand the skins. LG Optimus G Nexus should be a real doozy, but still not enough to sway me from the iPhone.

Markyboy81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
Nice write up, and I've just moved from the iPhone 4s to a galaxy and I don't think I'll be going back.
Whilst I agree that the iPhone is much better 'out of the box' in think that if you're prepared to put a bit of work in, and you can customise the Android to work much better for you. I understand that not everyone wants to do this though.
Couple of examples;
Install SwiftKey instead of the stock browser-it's far better than the ios keyboard.
Make it so that the phone vibrates when you pick it up, and/or use the led light. This way you'll be notified of new messages even without looking at the lock screen. Also, the vibration is far stronger, compared to iPhone.
I also find the battery to be at least as good as iPhone, and I was more than happy with the battery life on that.
Guess is horses for courses really.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Problem is, many of us are simply bored with iOS. After 5 years of it being the same, I am just bored. I need something new.

Android would naturally be the answer, however, when doing the switch you'll rather soon start to miss iOS again because of its simplicity, and level of polish.

So... it's like a curse.

mainca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
So.....are you keeping or coming back to the good side?

I returned the S3 yesterday, back to iPhone 4 and no contract. I will most likely purchase 5 after all the smoke clears in a few months.

----------

Nice post, i thought that messages and missed calls and so on where displayed on the lock screen? I saw them pop up in a video before. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Not on Lock Screen, so after receiving a text, when you click on your home screen to turn the screen on there is no way to display that message for a quick read.
You'll need to get to your home screen to view this message. Confirmed this limitation on the S2 as well

mainca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Problem is, many of us are simply bored with iOS. After 5 years of it being the same, I am just bored. I need something new.

Android would naturally be the answer, however, when doing the switch you'll rather soon start to miss iOS again because of its simplicity, and level of polish.

So... it's like a curse.

If Apple could figure out a way that would allow us geeks to alter this boring look without breaking anything then that would help. Give us two or three themes, even make this old theme default if you have to but if one has a few hundred apps on their iphone well they probably need a better solution then what's available.
Envision this, you download app # 150, a friendly pop up comes up and says, "wow, noticed you got lots of apps! Do you want to try expert mode to help you navigate easier?"

Last edited:

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I returned the S3 yesterday, back to iPhone 4 and no contract. I will most likely purchase 5 after all the smoke clears in a few months.

----------

Not on Lock Screen, so after receiving a text, when you click on your home screen to turn the screen on there is no way to display that message for a quick read.
You'll need to get to your home screen to view this message. Confirmed this limitation on the S2 as well

Did you not make use of LED notifications to alert you when you have a text, email or missed call?

mainca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007

So... it's like a curse.

Did you not make use of LED notifications to alert you when you have a text, email or missed call?

I did but it annoyed us when we were trying to sleep. I believe iPhones have this now? Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Also, I forgot to mention android is missing "Do Not Disturb".
So with Droid you have to remember to mute then unmute in the mornings.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
If Apple could figure out a way that would allow us geeks to alter this boring look without breaking anything then that would help. Give us two or three themes, even make this old theme default if you have to but if one has a few hundred apps on their iphone well they probably need a better solution then what's available.
Envision this, you download app # 150, a friendly pop up comes up and says, "wow, noticed you got lots of apps! Do you want to try expert mode to help you navigate easier?"

Expert mode is a good idea, access to a file system in the same mode would also be a nice touch.

The question is, is there enough of us geeks to attract attention from Apple to implement these advanced features?

I pay attention to what people say about their tech gadgets. And if there's one thing I've noticed when it comes to smartphones is how the average consumer complains when they switch phones or OS's, how they have to learn everything all over again.

On the other hand, when it comes to the iPhone, one thing I notice the average user raving about is how when they upgrade their iPhone it's easy and seamless to set up. Year after year it operates the same as it did before and they never have to bother learn everything over again. They love the added features, speeds and upgrades but equally love the fact the foundation of the iPhone's operation doesn't drastically change from year to year. In other words, it just works, and the average consumer loves that.

I think maybe we're quite a small minority, just the same it would be nice if Apple gave us geeks some attention :)

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK

Not an issue on my S2 (non rooted, just Android that came with it)

If I have a missed call/text I get a circle on the screen showing the number of each, dont need to unlock screen, just wake it up by pressing the button

it has been like this since I got it, never had to enable it

diogolg

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
Nice post!

I have a Nexus S but I'm switching to the iPhone when it arrives here (Brazil)

Nexus S was a very good phone but it's extreamly unreliable... Sometimes it is really fast and the others just keep crashing... I have an iPod touch 2G and sometimes I rather use it instead of my Nexus S due to polish of the OS.

Btw... You can bold/underline on mail, can't you? Just hold your finger on the word and that little pop-up will appear, then click on left arrow and it will show more options (on iOS6 you can attach img or video)

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I don't think you gave it enough time. I too switched recently and have been a happy Android user. At first it was a little frustrating but that had more to do with me not knowing my way around Android.
It's been about 3 months now and I'm still learning a few things here and there but I am more than pleased with my phone and most of the functions and features that I've used on the iPhone I also have on my Android.
Yes there are pros and cons of each system but it really comes down to what is important to you and what you can live with.
Neither system is perfect but Android has caught up and passed the iPhone is many areas.

By the way, maybe you should consider the Note II. It's perfect for business.
Look at all these features, true innovation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr2g_aJQzQk

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I would not be surprised if this generation specifically we see a iOS 6.5 upgrade with some customisation added, and maybe iOS 7 will feature more customisation.

At no point have I ever heard of so many long time iOS users moving to the SGS3 and other devices, simply out of boredom with iOS, rather than the device itself.

Apple can be very set in its ways, and I'm sure we will see customisation options, but they will be regulated / controlled in typical Apple fashion. Which is not a bad thing at times... Can't tell you the amount of times 3rd party live wallpapers and badly coded widgets that eat your phones memory, reduce performance and decrease battery life quite exponentially on Android.

A fine middle ground between the two, would be welcome, and I would as I say would not be surprised to see sooner rather than later...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I did but it annoyed us when we were trying to sleep. I believe iPhones have this now? Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Also, I forgot to mention android is missing "Do Not Disturb".
So with Droid you have to remember to mute then unmute in the mornings.

No, iPhone is exactly the same as the first iPhone ever. Just faster and now with a taller screen.

You can find many many apps on Android that will silence the phone at certain hours btw.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
You may want to read this if you are thinking about switching from an iPhone 5 to S3. I've been reading all your post's for many years and learned tons here. Thanks to those of you that have posted something useful. This is my 2 cents for anyone who wants to really know what life is like on the other side!
Like many of us here, I've been buying up Apple devices for quite some time, my first experience was a Titanium Macbook Pro, I never looked back from that day, until now!
My Att contract is over so "naturally" I decided to upgrade to the new iPhone 5. Well, unfortunately this time around wasn't a typical "Apple Experience" for me. My iPhone 5 (ordered from Att site) was shipped damaged directly from China. Looked at 9 other phones at two Apple store locations, only one was acceptable. Now that phone replacement had network issues :mad:, so I decided maybe this is the time. I've been frustrated with Apple's mediocre email app for ever (can't attach files, can't even bold text...), lack of customization, same 'ol iOS look and feel since day one. But, it's Apple and this would be a huge step for me because I'm a small business owner and EVERYTHING and ANYTHING Digital I do has been part of the Apple Ecosystem.
A good friend of mine who has made the switch to Droid awhile back has been extremely happy with his decision and talked me into at least trying it out. So, I figured what better time, I can try it for 30 days, if I don't like it big deal, I lose a whopping $35 restocking fee!
So I decided to get the most technologically advanced android I could find that meets my business needs, I was pointed towards the Galaxy S3.

I return home with my brand new phone, show it to my adorable Asian girlfriend, she looks excited, oh oh, that's not an iPhone? "But I have an iPhone" she pleads! Yes, this I'm thinking is going to be very hard, I plead back, "I have to give this a try, after all I use this for business purposes 90% of the time and I have to do what's best for my business babe". My heart just sank, I felt like I inadvertently cheated on her, it was weird, like some sort of Geek Cheat thing, Geating perhaps?

First impression, WOW, this thing has everything, stuff I didn't even know phones could have! There is so much crammed into this phone it's amazing how it all fits in its sleek and thin footprint. I was really impressed especially that first night (not impressed with the plastic), the screen is huge, great for reading emails on the run (don't text and drive ;)), camera was great and it takes pictures that many would/do prefer, more colorful (not as bright though). It connects to your mac like a hard drive, really cool, you can do this many ways. Wifi, USB and even Bluetooth. And you see all your files on the phone and can create files like you do for your computer! Makes sense to me? Maps? Awesome. Customization? That was simply crazy, the stuff you can do to customize your phone is insane... I think I'll love all these options for my small business.... could this be? Has Google and Samsung beat Apple in their own game?
Well, so the real life test begins. Monday comes along, I have meetings to get to (I live and work in Redondo Beach, Los Angeles), emails, texts, voip'ing (I use a voip for business calls so it looks like I'm calling from my office) you name it...
First thing off the bat: The screen practically disappeared on me in this sunny LA weather, ouch! So I max out the brightness, FAIL, Not a good start! I start up google Maps/Navigation, working great as expected! I make a VOIP call for the first time, it takes me 3 steps because apparently when you install an app on an Android it will now show up as an option when you make a call. So if you have Skype, Viper, Google Voice, Business VOIP that's going to be very taxing on making calls, maybe there's an option to change it? Didn't find it....., so, I'm driving while on a VOIP call with HEADPHONES on, I hear a beep coming from my speaker, weird, that's a text that just came in! Why in the world would it bypass my headphones? Not good when you are in a quite room with your significant other trying to sleep right next to you. Google navigation got me there ok, time to leave to the next appointment, maps is searching, searching & searching for this next address, I close the app start over again. Same deal, hell, it got me here but now I can't get it to work to get me to another appointment? At least I was able to navigate out of the area since I could see the map but Navigation is out! Luckily I know where the next appointment is so I made it in time.
So half day is gone, it's about noon, battery is scary low.... no problem, I bought one of those $80 cases that have a battery in it, I was warned ahead of time and losing juice isn't an option for me. This device will drain fast in real world applications, trust me!
Time to reply to emails while I'm eating at Gene Simmons new Beer haven in El Segundo, why not? I was right around the block... Samsung has two ways to input, Swipe and regular keyboard. Swipe is pretty handy with one finger use, I could see getting pretty efficient at this. Copy/Paste was weird if you are coming from an iPhone, not saying it's worse, just takes getting use to, a lot use to... Even when you want to place the curser in between letters to fix spelling, it's all different, of course it is! It took me forever to get that first email...man that was painful, but I did get better over time.

So I get home, my girlfriend is upset at me because I didn't respond to most of her "important" texts.... Well, I just assumed if I get a text that it will show up on my lock screen, like an iPhone? hey, Sometimes I can't hear texts coming in when I got Classic Van Halen Blasted in the background! Now that's Rockin Roll Kids... take a look here! WRONG, not even possible! You need to check your notifications screen or download an app that will at least pop the message on your home screen, but not your lock screen. Big Ouch!:eek:

So I call my buddy that had talked me into this in the first place, he's attempting to help me navigate where to go to change settings etc.... guess what, 50% or more of these settings weren't even there, he had the model before me the S2 and guess what? They changed the features so much that my buddy was confused to !#$@ so I kindly hung up and figured.... I'm on my own.

OK, what a day, time to relax and sip a beer and listen to my favorite music app MOG! I knew I was going to lose my Airplay function but I wasn't prepared to lose the everything function? This app barely works on a Droid! I'm paying $10 a month to listen to nothing? $!?... So I cancel MOG, now I'm getting annoyed!

Lets then download music to this thing, great idea? Don't even think about it, compared to iTunes with an iPhone this isn't in the same league.
So I figured, maybe I just have to sit here and study that manual, watch the video's on Samsungs site (which could use a refresh of its own), what else do I have to do, not like I'm busy, it's 11:30 pm and its quiet, now I can really concentrate on this task.

It's been 5 days and I already came to a conclusion about this phone and the Android OS (Ice Cream). This whole experience was basically what I remember Windows was and it is a STARK reminder why I left that platform in the first place. There's a whole lot of fat here everyone, lots and lots of fat. A lot of this fat can be useful, you'll probably need it when you haven't eaten for two weeks but only if its eatable! Meaning, it's a bit buggy and not nearly as refined, operating it, moving from one task to another seemed a bit laggy to me compared to an iPhone 5 especially..... I got at least two strange error's, and something like three crashes from the apps in a 5 day period. I'm comparing this to my iPhone 4 that has only crashed two times in the two years I've owned it.
Yes, you can configure to the end of day with this but there's no structure here! The last OS (Jelly Bean?) was so different that an experienced Android user couldn't help me with most of the basic features of the OS.

My digital world revolves around Apple, I'm a bit disappointed with their progress but I'm convinced that the iPhone 5 is far superior in so many "Other" ways, the "IMPORT OTHER" is the key here.

iPhone, Good = Designed for the everyday person, Reliability, Simplicity, Unmatched Design/Build, Battery Life, Screen (looks great outdoors in a sunny day), Zippy/Fast Responsiveness, comfortable to use with one hand, iCloud backup and additional features, Apple Customer Support has ALWAYS been insanely great, Apple Stores

iPhone Bad: Lack of customization, Email not designed for real business people (we need to be able to attach files from the client, bold, underline etc?), forced integration due to closed system

S3, Good= Top of the line technology, Tinker Heaven for the Geek within us all (customization) I would def recommend to my network engineer brother, Camera, Email, USB connection/Charge (maybe a plus for the moment, who doesn't have usb connectors laying around?)

S3, Bad= Music Player, Not as stable as iPhone, Huge Learning Curve (don't recommend this to the untechy type, that covers about 90% of us?), Battery life, build quality is plastic, Sometimes you'll need to install a plug-in to install an App to work properly that's just weird, Very Window's Like Experience.

My recommendation? If you are coming from the iPhone, stick to Apple, if you aren't then you'll know no better and Android will be the best thing next to Sliced Bread. It's apparent to me that Android and Samsung and the rest can't match Apple's design and overall feel and intuitiveness, so they draw out all the big guns at once and keep shooting and shooting until they hit something eventually. So typical of Google especially wouldn't most of you agree? (I'm sure there are some that don't) I love Google services, well maybe 10-20% of them work great, that's exactly what this phone is, a representation of exactly that! With Apple and those of us in this ecosystem, we love about 90% of everything they do. So, give it a try, if you don't have a contract with your phone provider, chances are you will come to this exact conclusion.

I hope some of you enjoyed! For those of you that need to bash this post, $%@! :D OFF!

Now that was a long post, THE END......

Ive never had a problem with Maps not loading, or whatever yours did. Maybe you didnt have GPS on? Hey i have to ask. mine comes on pretty quickly. However, no matter what you had an issue with there, it wont be better w/ Apple maps. Only worse.

The music player i like. I think the stock one is good but Poweramp is even better. Not sure where a learning curve for a music player is. Push play, pause, forward, backward, has albums and such....i dont get it but ok.
For downloading music you can use gTunes music download app and do it right on your phone. The app, isyncr transfers all your music from iTunes easily if your talking about that. Google Music play also transfers your music if you want to listen to your stuff via using your data. Not my prefered method.

You can easily get notifications on your lock screen . There are apps that will have that for you in a jiffy. Some people dont want to download a simple app for it for which i cant understand. Handcent SMS gives you a popup window for texts if you want it. All you do is check the box.

Yeah its not iOS and takes at least two weeks to get comfortable since they are very different. I dont use some native things like their messages or TouchWiz. I use Handcent and Apex which to me are better. When you get it setup the way you want, its all gravy from there. There are ways to do anything you need to do if you give it time. Most who have an iPhone for a long period of time give up quickly because it isnt as simple as iOS but it does everything and more than iOS.
You just cant rely on the crap Application that is iTunes which for me....is a plus. I hate iTunes.

Last edited:

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008

So... it's like a curse.

That was the opposite for me, after having Android for so long, the switch to the iOS has been wonderful, and a nice change from everything. I would've loved to tried W8, but I've come to love my apps, and waiting for them to be released isn't exactly my cup of tea right now.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
im confused

1) text message tones do come through the headphones. I know they do because when me and my flatmates at Uni are listening to music through my S3 plugged into the stereo, the music constantly gets interupted!

2)you can tell you have a message by either:
-picking up the phone and having it vibrate in your hand
-look at the icon in the notification bar at the top
-see the yellow LED flashing

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You can easily get notifications on your lock screen .

Yep HTC Sense 4 has lock screen with notifications :) and there are apps to do this for other handsets.

Plus SGS3 and One X have notification LED to tell you that you have new notifications too...

mainca

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2007
Nice post!

I have a Nexus S but I'm switching to the iPhone when it arrives here (Brazil)

Nexus S was a very good phone but it's extreamly unreliable... Sometimes it is really fast and the others just keep crashing... I have an iPod touch 2G and sometimes I rather use it instead of my Nexus S due to polish of the OS.

Btw... You can bold/underline on mail, can't you? Just hold your finger on the word and that little pop-up will appear, then click on left arrow and it will show more options (on iOS6 you can attach img or video)

Yes you can, thanks for catching that, may bad! Attaching photo or image feature, I see that too! Sort of hidden. But (us? Is it just me?) I would like to see a file system where we can store documents to on a custom file system, then have access to these file's from within email, text ect.... Cant tell you how many times I've been traveling or driving, was forwarded a file via email as an example, and in that email there was a file I needed to send to another party. The only way I know in iOS to do this is to forward that entire email but most of the time I don't or can't do this because of confidentiality concerns...
I use this more then my computer these days, it needs to be able to function like a computer more and more, I believe at a faster pace then present.
I'm bummed that I'm forced to do these simple tasks on another device so we have to carry laptops and Tether or find other solutions like...... try/buy Android. In my case, it was Try!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.