Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
I love the whole idea of iMessage, get rid of all those silly SMS charges when you text message other Apple users whether they have a iPhone, iPad, iPod, Mac or whatever but I have a hard time figuring out the whole iMessage under Mac OS X Mountain Lion in terms of contacts.

So I just recieved a message from a person, it shows successfully on all my devices with iMessage enabled, so no issues there. But on my iPad and my iPhone the message is displayed with the correct contact information but on my Mac on the other hand it's just shown by a number and not contact information.

Why is this I wonder as my contact list is synchronized with iCloud, it's identical between all devices but my Mac does not seem to add numbers and contacts together correctly even though this specific is registered as a "iPhone" number under the correct contact on my Mac?

Is it so that the Mac for some awkward reason requires the country code to be added into the numbers, whereas the iOS devices do not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.