Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
OK, so I just recently installed an SSD and everything seems to be working great except for the fact that the "recovery disk" is missing.
I rebooted my machine and held down the "option" key after I heard the sound and the option to boot from Recovery is gone...:(
I cloned the new SSD with Carbon Copy but apparently it didn't clone the recovery disk onto the new SSD. I already formatted the original HDD that was in there and am using it in the Optibay for movies.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
OK, so I just recently installed an SSD and everything seems to be working great except for the fact that the "recovery disk" is missing.
I rebooted my machine and held down the "option" key after I heard the sound and the option to boot from Recovery is gone...:(
I cloned the new SSD with Carbon Copy but apparently it didn't clone the recovery disk onto the new SSD. I already formatted the original HDD that was in there and am using it in the Optibay for movies.

When you cloned your disk, did you go to Disk Manager portion to install/copy the recovery partition? It should have given you a really big warning to do so. The "regular" cloning process only copies the main partition. You can always re-install OSX to get it back.

262Runnr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
NC
Thanks for the replies.
I re-installed Mountain Lion onto a backup USB drive and created a USB recovery disk on an 8GB thumb drive.
So, if I'm understanding all this correctly..If my OS got corrupted and my computer can't boot, I can now use the thumb drive to boot to and install a fresh copy of mountain lion.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
Thanks for the replies.
I re-installed Mountain Lion onto a backup USB drive and created a USB recovery disk on an 8GB thumb drive.
So, if I'm understanding all this correctly..If my OS got corrupted and my computer can't boot, I can now use the thumb drive to boot to and install a fresh copy of mountain lion.

Correct. During install, you specify which disk to install ML on, after you format. Just make sure the USB is 100% bootable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.