Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alstemp

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2012
Hi

I recently purchased a Mac Book Pro along with Apple TV. I purchased a movie via Lovefilm (UK based site) on a "watch it now" basis. I then proceeded to watch using Airplay and "mirroring". However doing it this way I quickly realised that while the movie is playing on my TV I obviously cannot use my Mac in the meantime, for example searching internet, emails or other documetns.

Is there a way around this? Can I use Apple TV another way so I can send content from my Mac to the TV to play, but be able to use the Mac at the same time as a computer?

Thanks for your help! I'm a first time Mac person after 17 years of Windows so still finding my way around! :)

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Unfortunately, AirPlay Mirroring only mirrors, it doesn't act as a secondary monitor (I'm hoping this changes in the future so I won't need to have an HDMI cable running from my HDMI switcher to my MBA).

If you can get the content into iTunes, then when you play it through iTunes, there will be an AirPlay option. Or you can use Home Sharing through the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.