Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Where is the Wacom digitizer in the iPhone 5? Why is it that the iPhone still cannot detect more than 1 touch level? If it is suppose to be the best touchscreen phone, then wouldn't you expect to at least be able to detect how hard you are touching the screen. By comparison, the Galaxy Notes from Samsung have Wacom digitizers in them and can detect 1024 levels of pressure levels. This means that the iPhone cannot effectively pick out the touch sensitivity needed in picture or drawing applications to create more realistic results.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I really think I am going to. I still haven't had a chance to try one in person yet but I can order it online now.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
To be honest I fail to see the need for such capability on the iPhone's screen. In my opinion the screen is too small to make it worthwhile.

But had you said the iPad? then I'd be totally on board.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
There are lots of drawing and picture editing apps for the iPhone. There is plenty reason to have a Wacom digitizer in an iPhone. And for games, it would enable a better level of control instead of the bastardized onscreen 1-touch level buttons that is common now.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Where is the Wacom digitizer in the iPhone 5? Why is it that the iPhone still cannot detect more than 1 touch level? If it is suppose to be the best touchscreen phone, then wouldn't you expect to at least be able to detect how hard you are touching the screen. By comparison, the Galaxy Notes from Samsung have Wacom digitizers in them and can detect 1024 levels of pressure levels. This means that the iPhone cannot effectively pick out the touch sensitivity needed in picture or drawing applications to create more realistic results.

The Wacom digitizer is so desperately needed that Apple can't even meet the demand for the phone. :rolleyes: I mean I get your point, but the sales numbers alone answers your question as to why they haven't added it. It's just not being demanded for by the users.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
There are lots of drawing and picture editing apps for the iPhone. There is plenty reason to have a Wacom digitizer in an iPhone. And for games, it would enable a better level of control instead of the bastardized onscreen 1-touch level buttons that is common now.

Just because there are apps for it doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'd bet that the majority of drawing apps for the iPhone are meant for children, no need for a digitizer there. What you describe as bastardized control is exactly what makes the iPhone such a great gaming system for many of us. On a 4" screen I see simple controls as a positive. 1025 levels of pressure sounds like it would result in some poorly implemented games.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Ah, so you guys are happy with touch controls sucking and see no room for innovation. This is like Microsoft Windows where innovation died out.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
Another extremely useful place for the 1024 levels of touch pressure, like on the Galaxy Notes, is for the gas pedal of racing games. Right now, it is either full gas or none. With a Wacom digitizer, you could actually control how fast you drive instead of driving out of control like in most iOS racing games right now.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Another extremely useful place for the 1024 levels of touch pressure, like on the Galaxy Notes, is for the gas pedal of racing games. Right now, it is either full gas or none. With a Wacom digitizer, you could actually control how fast you drive instead of driving out of control like in most iOS racing games right now.
I bet most people use the default auto gas/brake functionality in a lot of racing games.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Ah, so you guys are happy with touch controls sucking and see no room for innovation. This is like Microsoft Windows where innovation died out.
I'm all for innovation, if it adds actual value, otherwise it's just feature bloat which ultimately detracts value from the product.

I don't see the touch controls on the iPhone as sucking in fact I think they are spot on for my usage. Wacom tablets have their place, I just don't think smart phone screens are one of them.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
I'm all for innovation, if it adds actual value, otherwise it's just feature bloat which ultimately detracts value from the product.

I don't see the touch controls on the iPhone as sucking in fact I think they are spot on for my usage. Wacom tablets have their place, I just don't think smart phone screens are one of them.

Feature bloat like Newsstand and Siri? There are a lot more useful uses for a Wacom digitizer in a phone than most of the "features" Apple has been adding.

I bet most people use the default auto gas/brake functionality in a lot of racing games.

because the 1-touch level screen of the iPhone sucks for control. That's why a Wacom digitizer is needed.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Actually, if I recall correctly, you can detect about 16 levels of touch on the current capacitive screen (based on contact point size).

koolhand79

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
There's one phone out with this technology and its mainly for the purpose of using a stylus. Apple doesn't include because it probably isnt worth the cost to them.

They release 1 phone a yr and that means they need to cover broad features that most users want/need. While that digitizer would be nice and more useful it just isn't practical.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
There's one phone out with this technology and its mainly for the purpose of using a stylus. Apple doesn't include because it probably isnt worth the cost to them.

They release 1 phone a yr and that means they need to cover broad features that most users want/need. While that digitizer would be nice and more useful it just isn't practical.

Practical like a soft aluminum casing that scratches when you put it on a table? Or the 3D flyover in Apple Maps that no one will actually use to navigate? Please, practicality is low on the priority list of Apple.

Actually, if I recall correctly, you can detect about 16 levels of touch on the current capacitive screen (based on contact point size).

That's not pressure.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

Sounds more like you insulting the intelligence of others simply because they don't share YOUR view. It's your opinion that it sucks, not an empirical fact, and your opinion is no more "right" or "wrong" than anyone else's. :mad:

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
Practical like a soft aluminum casing that scratches when you put it on a table? Or the 3D flyover in Apple Maps that no one will actually use to navigate? Please, practicality is low on the priority list of Apple.

That's not pressure.

You certainly went from evangelizing the Wacom digitizer to bashing the iPhone pretty quick. Not sure whether you have an agenda or not, but the iPhone 5 is obviously not the phone for you.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
You certainly went from evangelizing the Wacom digitizer to bashing the iPhone pretty quick. Not sure whether you have an agenda or not, but the iPhone 5 is obviously not the phone for you.

If you say that the iPhone is just built for practicality and a Wacom digitizer is not practical but is a feature bloat, then of course I'm going call you out on Siri and 3D flyover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.