Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:13 PM   #1
TijmenDal
macrumors newbie

How to completely wipe a USB drive clean - disk utility doesn't work

Hi,

So I transfered an ISO image to a USB stick using a couple terminal commands.
Now, I want to get rid of the image, but all the options are blocked out? Which is weird. Is there a Terminal command or something to reset the disk? Because now my disk it rendered useless (which kinda sucks...)

Thanks!
TijmenDal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #2
chown33
macrumors 603

What Terminal commands did you use to copy the ISO? Where did you get them from (URL of website, or whatever you read that told you what cmds to use)?

What kind of USB stick is it (model, capacity)?

You say "all the options are blocked out", so please take a screen shot and post it.
chown33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
TijmenDal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chown33 View Post
What Terminal commands did you use to copy the ISO? Where did you get them from (URL of website, or whatever you read that told you what cmds to use)?

What kind of USB stick is it (model, capacity)?

You say "all the options are blocked out", so please take a screen shot and post it.
They're just 'unclickable' you, know the light gray.

I got the terminal command from internet; various sources gave the same command. I'm no coding-genius, but the command was legit.

I unmounted the disk and then used 'dd if= *Iso location* of=/dev/disk bs=1m
Old Oct 7, 2012, 03:01 AM   #4
SpetsnaZ99
macrumors member

If there is nothing on the drive that you want, have you considered inserting the drive into a windows machine. If it doesnt detect it as a valid drive then it may possibly offer you the option of reformatting the drive.
SpetsnaZ99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
TijmenDal
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpetsnaZ99 View Post
If there is nothing on the drive that you want, have you considered inserting the drive into a windows machine. If it doesnt detect it as a valid drive then it may possibly offer you the option of reformatting the drive.

Thanks. That's actually a good idea! Will try

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help