Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 6, 2012, 07:24 PM   #1
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

JB ROM for SGS3?

Does anyone know of a fast, stable JB-based AOSP ROM for an AT&T SGS3?

I'm a member of XDA, and have taken a look, but there are just so many different ROMs there, it's difficult to find out what works really well.
r.j.s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

CM10 official builds are always going to be your best bet. They won't support devices without stable/workable drivers.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
CM10 official builds are always going to be your best bet. They won't support devices without stable/workable drivers.
I agree. I'm using an international version but I'd say these guys probably release the best ROMs and I'm assuming it's no different for the AT&T version.

I'm actually running Paranoid Android on mine but it is based on CM10. I haven't had any issues other than wifi tethering not working but it's a known issue with CM10. I'm running a slightly older build of PA in which wifi tethering works strangely.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:26 PM   #4
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I agree. I'm using an international version but I'd say these guys probably release the best ROMs and I'm assuming it's no different for the AT&T version.

I'm actually running Paranoid Android on mine but it is based on CM10.
That's where I'm getting confused. There are many ROMs based on CM10, and then the CM10 nightlies.

I'm looking for a stable release that won't be replaced the next day. Are there actual releases of CM10?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:29 PM   #5
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
That's where I'm getting confused. There are many ROMs based on CM10, and then the CM10 nightlies.

I'm looking for a stable release that won't be replaced the next day. Are there actual releases of CM10?
I don't think there's a "stable" version of CM10 yet, at least not for the international GS3. I don't think that means that the nightlies aren't stable enough for daily use, just that the next nightly will have bug fixes and maybe new features which you could take advantage of should you choose to flash the nightlies nightly or whenever you want to. I would say CM10 is definitely stable for daily use ever since they fixed the memory leak issue.

Here's the link to CM10 downloads for your phone http://get.cm/?device=d2att

Just make a nandroid of your stock or current ROM and if you see that CM10 isn't for you then go back to that. That's the worst case scenario.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Nightlies are pretty stable. Again, they wouldn't be posting them if they weren't ALMOST a daily driver. The devices go through like three months of driver/use testing prior to CM supported status. "Stable" marked builds are coming when the CM code is finalized, which probably will be in November/December.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:48 PM   #7
mathcolo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I haven't had any issues other than wifi tethering not working but it's a known issue with CM10.
Is it? I'm running the October 6 nightly on my vzw Galaxy Nexus and I haven't tested portable hotspot. If I need it at some point, will it not work?
[Retired]- Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE
mathcolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathcolo View Post
Is it? I'm running the October 6 nightly on my vzw Galaxy Nexus and I haven't tested portable hotspot. If I need it at some point, will it not work?
Oh sorry I didn't mean on all phones. I know it is for the international GS3.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #9
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Do I need to flash gapps with the CM10 nightly?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:12 PM   #10
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Do I need to flash gapps with the CM10 nightly?
Yes you do. http://goo.im/gapps
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:17 PM   #11
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Thanks. I'm running Odin now.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 11:38 PM   #12
3bs
macrumors 603

Good luck and let us know what you think afterwards.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:02 AM   #13
matttye
macrumors 601

It's been a while since I checked out the thread, but last time I looked at CM10 it was suffering from a bad memory leak. I would check the thread and see if people are still reporting that.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:04 AM   #14
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Good luck and let us know what you think afterwards.
I had an issue with the CM10 nightly not being able to reach certain servers, so I wiped and installed ParanoidAndroid. Working great so far. Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:05 AM   #15
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
I had an issue with the CM10 nightly not being able to reach certain servers, so I wiped and installed ParanoidAndroid. Working great so far. Thanks.
If you haven't already, you should look into the tablet/hybrid mode features for certain apps on that ROM. With the S3 having such a big screen it's great to be able to use some apps in tablet/hybrid mode
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:09 AM   #16
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
If you haven't already, you should look into the tablet/hybrid mode features for certain apps on that ROM. With the S3 having such a big screen it's great to be able to use some apps in tablet/hybrid mode
Yeah, I noticed that, and it is nice in the apps I've tried - esp. gmail.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:13 AM   #17
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I don't think there's a "stable" version of CM10 yet, at least not for the international GS3. I don't think that means that the nightlies aren't stable enough for daily use, just that the next nightly will have bug fixes and maybe new features which you could take advantage of should you choose to flash the nightlies nightly or whenever you want to. I would say CM10 is definitely stable for daily use ever since they fixed the memory leak issue.

Here's the link to CM10 downloads for your phone http://get.cm/?device=d2att

Just make a nandroid of your stock or current ROM and if you see that CM10 isn't for you then go back to that. That's the worst case scenario.
Cyanogen actually prefers the us version as Qualcomm has been more helpful with drivers. Qualcomm helped them properly implement project butter. They've had trouble doing so with the exynos. Its actually strange causes Qualcomm had some crappy ICS drivers. The omap and the tegra 3 still have the best GPU drivers at the moment still as far as interface smoothness.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 08:47 PM   #18
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

After having this ROM for the weekend, it looks like I'll be sticking with it. Thanks for all the help.
r.j.s is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:50 AM   #19
tperry
macrumors member

Quote:

You won't get a "stable" release of JB anywhere on any US carrier phone.
tperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices